FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2019 9:12 PM  #1

Timing the old 289

All stock 289 2bl auto,133K, runs on today's reg, Tonight I pulled out the timing light. Car runs great, i dont here any ping. Of coarse i dont hear much anyways but I do have hearing aids so I should hear something, I hear the wife. Car starts without gas pedal after first start of day.
Vacuum disconnected and capped off this is what I got using a light with dwell ajust. when I got the light to 17 the mark was at TDC
17 deg at 750 rpm   this seems hi for timing
34 deg at 2500 rpm  this seems good
 64 deg at 2500  with vacuum hooked up
I am not sure I did this all correct as it has been awhile since I pulled out the timing light, and not sure what it all means. I do know my SBC is at 10 deg and premium fuel
Please let me know if all is good or what I should do

Last edited by Cab4word67 (9/05/2019 10:04 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/06/2019 7:54 AM  #2

Re: Timing the old 289

Whoh, thats way too much!
Base timing should be around 6 degrees without vac.  Add about 10 with vac.  That opens the door to the 30 additional degrees vac advance at 2500.  There should be a small bushing where the vac advance connects to the advance plate in the distributor that limits the total advance  All in at 3500 should be in the 35 degree range.
Now, its possible the rubber has slipped in the balancer, showing the wrong advance, or you are looking at the wrong mark, but either way, there is WAY too much vac included advance.

9/06/2019 11:45 AM  #3

I have a really expensive timing light that I don't use. It was a gift from a friend that dosent like the way I set timing. I use a vacuum gauge and set my timing for max vacuum at idle. Been doing this for years, a lot of years. Mines a 289 with Edelbrock Performer carb and manifold and mild cam. I tried the timing light, mostly because it's chrome plated and makes me look like I know what I'm doing but I couldn't make it run as good as it does using the vac gauge. By the way, I to have hearing aids thanks to the US Navy. Still can't hear the wife.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/06/2019 3:31 PM  #4

High everyone,
Went in and drop the timing down to 6 deg with no vac. hooked up vac line and re set the idle to about 850 in neutral. Car runs great and dose not seem to be get crazy hot anymore.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/06/2019 3:55 PM  #5

If it runs good......hey that's great! That's more than a bunch of us can say.
Did you have the vacuum hooked to the ported or un ported?
Was there vacuum UNTIL you open the throttle (then there would be NONE)
OR............vacuum all the time?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/06/2019 5:33 PM  #6

There was no vac at idle when I caped it off. Again the car runs great now. And this is it is not over heating at idle, cruse or anywhere even wit the air on in 82 deg Oregon heat. Lol
I am going to check where total timing is and probably have to lower it a tad. We will see

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.