FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2019 5:32 AM  #1

need advice for new rear axle ratio

Hello Folks !  
need advice from those who have t5z trans and 3.50 rear . Now i ride 3.80 but is too short specially first and second gear .( 2.95 : 1 first 1.94: 1 second ) Absolutely needs get longer . Now are really short and seems to drive a 4x4 with reduced gear to climb hill ..... What should i look for , before buy new ring and pinion ?    3.50 /3.40 / 3.27 / 3.00. thanks !

9/07/2019 11:57 AM  #2

Re: need advice for new rear axle ratio

Alessandro wrote:

Hello Folks !  
need advice from those who have t5z trans and 3.50 rear . Now i ride 3.80 but is too short specially first and second gear .( 2.95 : 1 first 1.94: 1 second ) Absolutely needs get longer . Now are really short and seems to drive a 4x4 with reduced gear to climb hill ..... What should i look for , before buy new ring and pinion ?    3.50 /3.40 / 3.27 / 3.00. thanks !

I like 3.40 if the engine is mostly stock (230-250 HP)
3.27 if its stronger.
I know....backward for a drag racing point of view but.......for spirited street driving(and autostonda) get the 'longer legs' of the 3.27
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/07/2019 3:20 PM  #3

6sally6 wrote:

Alessandro wrote:

Hello Folks !  

3.27 if its stronger.
I know....backward for a drag racing point of view but.......for spirited street driving(and autostonda) get the 'longer legs' of the 3.27
6sally6

I agree.  3.27's will work fine - 3.40s  will work too, but might be a little long.  If you are just canyon carving in the Apanines,  you will be happy with the 3.27's.  Put it in second or third and wail around those curves!

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/07/2019 4:45 PM  #4

lowercasesteve wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Alessandro wrote:

Hello Folks !  

3.27 if its stronger.
6sally6

I agree.  3.27's will work fine - 3.40s  will work too, but might be a little long.  If you are just canyon carving in the Apanines,  you will be happy with the 3.27's.  Put it in second or third and wail around those curves!

Lowercasesteve , just for me to understand well when you say " 3.40s will work , but might be little long "  you mean shorter  . 

the 3.27  will be longer 
the 3.40 will be shorter 
the 3.80 is too much short    .

So from my point of view  3.27  if i prefer highway 
                                          3.40  if i want carve in the mountain             right ?

9/07/2019 4:58 PM  #5

6sally6 wrote:

Alessandro wrote:

Hello Folks !  

3.27 if its stronger.
6sally6

Thanks 6sally6  that's what i wanna hear !  . I have think about it and more or less i was around 3.50 /.3.40/ 3.27 . 
now i am more sure about it leaving the 3.50 . i think i will go for 3.27 .

ciao ! 

9/07/2019 10:43 PM  #6

Alessandro wrote:

lowercasesteve wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

3.27 if its stronger.
6sally6

Lowercasesteve , just for me to understand well when you say " 3.40s will work , but might be little long "  you mean shorter  . 

the 3.27  will be longer 
the 3.40 will be shorter 
the 3.80 is too much short    .

So from my point of view  3.27  if i prefer highway 
                                          3.40  if i want carve in the mountain             right ?

Allesandro:  I always have a  problem with "Long"  or "Short"  Very confusing.  What I should have said is "3.27 or 3.40"  Pick it.  either will do just fine.  My choice would be 3.27 just because I build my engines for low end torque.  My 351w pulls from 1200rpm and is all done by 5,000rpm.  I do not need a rear end as high as 3.50.  At hiway speed I am satisfied with 2,000 for 65mph in the freeway.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (9/07/2019 10:46 PM)

9/08/2019 6:45 AM  #7

Hi Alessandro-

My trans has a 2.95 1st and I went with a 3.5 rear gear ratio, which should be a good compromise in terms of off the line aceration and 5th gear highway cruising.

When picking your rear gear ratio, there are a number of factors you need to consider which include your camshaft and what RPM range your cam is most efficient in, your 5th gear ratio (which in the T5-z is 0.63:1) and your rear tire size.

You should input the details for your car into the below calculator using each of your transmission gear ratios from 1st - 5th, your rear tire size and then run the calculations which each of the different rear gear ratios you are considering and see what RPM your engine is turning in with each rear gear ratio and what the corresponding miles or kilometers per hour works out to.

https://spicerparts.com/calculators/transmission-ratio-rpm-calculator

Using my tire size (245/45/17, which is 25.68" tall) at 3500 rpm in 1st gear, the car is going 26 mph. But at 2000 RPM the car is doing 70 mph.  Depending on your cam, I don't think you to go much lower (numerically)  a 3.5 or your engine won't be turning enough RPM and will be lugging in 5th gear.

9/08/2019 9:17 AM  #8

Chaplin wrote:

Hi Alessandro-

My trans has a 2.95 1st and I went with a 3.5 rear gear ratio, which should be a good compromise in terms of off the line aceration and 5th gear highway cruising.

When picking your rear gear ratio, there are a number of factors you need to consider which include your camshaft and what RPM range your cam is most efficient in, your 5th gear ratio (which in the T5-z is 0.63:1) and your rear tire size.

You should input the details for your car into the below calculator using each of your transmission gear ratios from 1st - 5th, your rear tire size and then run the calculations which each of the different rear gear ratios you are considering and see what RPM your engine is turning in with each rear gear ratio and what the corresponding miles or kilometers per hour works out to.

Using my tire size (245/45/17, which is 25.68" tall) at 3500 rpm in 1st gear, the car is going 26 mph. But at 2000 RPM the car is doing 70 mph. Depending on your cam, I don't think you to go much lower (numerically) a 3.5 or your engine won't be turning enough RPM and will be lugging in 5th gear.

I used it , but the point is that speed doesnt  rise that much , more or less from  5 to 15 miles more .
to find something interesting i need to stay on 3.27    .  I think that 3.50 is not enough different from 3.80. 
Take note that mine is always an add on's looking for more power , so next time i can add new cam , manifold , and carb. 
It's always a project 
thanks for info 

9/08/2019 9:39 AM  #9

Thanks Alessandro!

This question helps me out too.
Appreciate it guys!

9/08/2019 1:57 PM  #10

You have the advantage in this situation to have your own personal experience.  You have the transmission with your current 3.80 gear set.  And you know this gear set is lower than you want it to be.  Look at your choices: 
As an example, say you're currently turning 2500 rpm at 70 mph
3.50  is 92% of your current RPMs;   70 mph would be 2300 rpm
3.40 is 89% of your current RPMs;    70 mph would be 2225 rpm
3.27 is 86% of your current RPMs;    70 mph would be 2150 rpm
3.00 is 79% of your current RPMs;    70 mph would be 1975 rpm
You can plug in your correct RPM you have at 70 mph.  But going by the example, I would want either the 3.00 or the 3.27 because I would want my cruise RPM around 2000.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/08/2019 4:22 PM  #11

Rufus68 wrote:

You have the advantage in this situation to have your own personal experience.  You have the transmission with your current 3.80 gear set.  And you know this gear set is lower than you want it to be.  Look at your choices: 
As an example, say you're currently turning 2500 rpm at 70 mph
3.50  is 92% of your current RPMs;   70 mph would be 2300 rpm
3.40 is 89% of your current RPMs;    70 mph would be 2225 rpm
3.27 is 86% of your current RPMs;    70 mph would be 2150 rpm
3.00 is 79% of your current RPMs;    70 mph would be 1975 rpm
You can plug in your correct RPM you have at 70 mph.  But going by the example, I would want either the 3.00 or the 3.27 because I would want my cruise RPM around 2000.

My thoughts exactly.  I have a 3.00 rear gear and run right about 2,000 at 70mph.  That is perfect for me.  When I had the top loader, I always felt like I needed another gear.  And, with that 3.35 first gear, I still have to shift earlier than I want.  I can't imagine what it would be like with a 3.50 or higher rear end.

9/08/2019 5:43 PM  #12

Just keep this in mind.  Regardless of your choice, you will still quietly wonder what it would have been like with the various other ratios.  I run 289, close to stock 260 hp, 3.25 single track with 92 model T-5.  Hits hard and gets mid 20's highway mileage.  You gonna race, then 3.40-3.80.  All out racing, 3.90-4.11.  The larger the ratio, the more unnecessary the first gear or two in the tranny.  Lotsa choices.
Best
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

9/08/2019 5:47 PM  #13

Just keep this in mind.  Regardless of your choice, you will still quietly wonder what it would have been like with the various other ratios.  I run 289, close to stock 260 hp, 3.25 single track with 92 model T-5.  Hits hard and gets mid 20's highway mileage.  You gonna race, then 3.40-3.80.  All out racing, 3.90-4.11.  The larger the ratio, the more unnecessary the first gear or two in the tranny.  Lotsa choices.
Best
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

9/08/2019 6:21 PM  #14

WOW Al..........you can say that again!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/08/2019 6:45 PM  #15

All the gears work together in driving the car.  It is equally foolish to choose a rear gear ratio that would cause 5th gear in the transmission to slow the rpms of the engine too slow at normal cruising speed to be usable; just as it would be foolish to choose a rear gear ratio that would cause 1st gear in the transmission to speed up the rpms of the engine too much to be usable as well.  Either of these rear gear ratios cause a 5 speed transmission to behave like a 4 speed transmission.  One should match the rear gear ratio to the transmission gears and rear tire diameter such that 1st gear in the transmission performs its duty of starting the car off and 5th gear in the transmission performs its duty of comfortably driving the car along at cruising speed.  Any other choice is just a waste.

Whew, I feel better.  I'm sorry you read this if what I've said bothers you.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/08/2019 7:28 PM  #16

Most cars that came with a T5Z, woulda paired it with 3.27 as the performance gear.
This is how the manufacturer compromised between performance and cruising RPM.
With an equal size tyre diameter as stock, you should also get the best of both worlds.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/08/2019 8:04 PM  #17

I have a T5Z with a 3.25 gear and like it a lot.   Seems to cruise nice at 65 in 5th gear. Take off is pretty good. It is single spin though.  Like to do a true track or something like that down the road.  Id probably used the same gear ratio. 

9/08/2019 11:34 PM  #18

50vert wrote:

Most cars that came with a T5Z, woulda paired it with 3.27 as the performance gear.
This is how the manufacturer compromised between performance and cruising RPM.
With an equal size tyre diameter as stock, you should also get the best of both worlds.

This is a precious suggestion because in past i was endorse to use 3.80 ( too wrong)  . 
Now itìs more clear for what i want from my var that i need to stay between 3.27 . 
Now i can spend my money for something that will not sit in a corner ! 

9/08/2019 11:47 PM  #19

Nos681 wrote:

Thanks Alessandro!

This question helps me out too.
Appreciate it guys!

You are welcome !  this thing about rear gear is something that i want to solve since last year . 
Probably was better  compare the trans gearing from a car with t5z and see what axle ratio was using and start from there my thought .  In that situation probably i had choose 3.27 earlyer  . 
Anyway i want to listen some advice that rise axle ratio to 3.40  - 

Now is only a question of choice :  3.27  or 3.40    let me know yours and why  . 

bye ! 

9/09/2019 5:55 AM  #20

Its not a lot of difference between 3.27 and 3.40, only 0.13.  How fast do you drive on the highway?  I drive 75-80mph to keep up with traffic, which is 120-128kph.  I run a 3.50 ratio, and my cruise RPM is about 2,200.  Not great for fuel mileage, but keeps up with traffic easy enough.  I have a Fox Mustang T5, with the 0.68:1 5th gear.  The T5Z has a 0.63 5th, so it will turn a little less RPM at the same speed with the same rear gear.  I would go with the 3.40 if it were mine. 

9/09/2019 10:48 AM  #21

Chaplin wrote:

Hi Alessandro-

Using my tire size (245/45/17, which is 25.68" tall) at 3500 rpm in 1st gear, the car is going 26 mph. But at 2000 RPM the car is doing 70 mph. Depending on your cam, I don't think you to go much lower (numerically) a 3.5 or your engine won't be turning enough RPM and will be lugging in 5th gear.

Alessandro, this is great information.

What is your rear tire size? The tire height plays a role in deterring all of this.  
What is your 5th gear ratio.

I understand you don't want a 4x4 for starting from a dead stop. On the other hand, you don't want to give up so much gear that you are constantly slipping the clutch to get moving. Some guys will use a 10:1 ratio as a guide line to help determine a rear gear size. Multiple the first gear ratio by the rear gear ratio for a value. 3.8 X 2.95 is 11.21. For 3.27 gears, its 9.64. For 3.40 gears, its 10.03. For a 3.50 gear set, its 10.325.

What is your typical cruising speed?
Where does your engine make power now? 
How long till your cam upgrade and where will the power band shift to then in the RPM range?

Based on the information you provided, I would stick with a 3.40 or 3.50 gear. If your tires are overly short or tall, the gear set could change.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/09/2019 11:38 AM  #22

10:1 overall in first is a good rule of thumb, you do not want less than that, but I've found going as high as 12:1 is typically not objectionable.  If the engine will spin a lot of RPM you can get away with a higher ratio.  My '02 WRX has almost a 14:1 overall first gear ratio, but it also spins to 7,000RPM.  I find that a 3.35 first and a 3.50 rear gear for an overall 1st gear of 11.70:1 in my '67 is a perfectly usable 1st gear.  I don't rev it past 5,000RPM, as there's no reason to with the stock cam.  So with a 2.95 and a 3.50 it should be even better, but if its between a 3.27 and a 3.40 I go with the 3.40.  3.40 and 3.50 in the real world I don't think you'd ever notice the difference. 

9/09/2019 12:01 PM  #23

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

Hi Alessandro-

Alessandro, this is great information.

What is your rear tire size? The tire height plays a role in deterring all of this.  
What is your 5th gear ratio.

I understand you don't want a 4x4 for starting from a dead stop. On the other hand, you don't want to give up so much gear that you are constantly slipping the clutch to get moving. Some guys will use a 10:1 ratio as a guide line to help determine a rear gear size. Multiple the first gear ratio by the rear gear ratio for a value. 3.8 X 2.95 is 11.21. For 3.27 gears, its 9.64. For 3.40 gears, its 10.03. For a 3.50 gear set, its 10.325.

What is your typical cruising speed?
Where does your engine make power now? 
How long till your cam upgrade and where will the power band shift to then in the RPM range?

Based on the information you provided, I would stick with a 3.40 or 3.50 gear. If your tires are overly short or tall, the gear set could change.

Thanks for this info , i have 205/70/14 ( 25.3 tall )  tire  and now my cams are original 289 engine and i believe they are in cam zone from 2700 and 3000  , but i am not sure about it . never try to take note .  
What i can say is top speed at 90 /100mph at 4000 , more or less . 
About cams upgrade i think next year winter project  . so i got 1 year to use a 3.40 or 3.25 .
My highway speed is 80/93 mph so little speedy  when i can ,  average is 85  . Now to stay at 75 mph i am at 2500
What i really hate is first and second gear , the rest more or less are  right . 
3rd 4rt 5th  are the gears where engine gives more satisfaction for torque and top end . 
At the end every suggestion is correct  3.40 could be acceptable between 3.25 and 3.50   . 
thanks 

9/09/2019 12:17 PM  #24

After all this info i do believe that i will stay  on 3.40  also if i am very in temptation of 3.25   .
very helpful ! 

9/12/2019 3:02 PM  #25

OK, I may be a convert now on gear ratio...
My 66 has a 427 and TKO 600 and 3.70 gears.  I love the way the gears feel when accelerating.  They give a much more powerful feel than the 3.50's I used to have behind the 400HP Windsor.  BUT, I am finally getting tired of being blown off by every Honda and Kia at stoplights. (unless I really push the loud pedal real hard).
It seems I am busy building RPM very quickly in 1st gear, but not really going anywhere, while I watch them accelerate into the distance.  I have decided to go back to a 3.50:1 ratio gear in my car.  I guess I am just getting old...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.