FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2019 5:09 AM  #26

Re: need advice for new rear axle ratio

The issue is probably more that you can't effectively put the power than engine makes down in a RWD platform.  Hondas, Kias, etc. are FWD or AWD and don't make a lot of torque.  Plus a lot of cars now, even lower end ones, have traction control systems.  If the driver stomps on it they go without wheelspin.  If you do that its a smoke show.

9/13/2019 1:29 PM  #27

No, TKO, I am talking about those rice burners taking off with a little old lady behind the wheel normally taking off from a light.  Seems like when I shift to second, they are long gone.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/13/2019 6:45 PM  #28

I am now learning the way my car is running with the T-5 and a 3.0 in it. So far I like it. 1st gear seems a little low but the rest seem OK.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/13/2019 9:30 PM  #29

MS wrote:

No, TKO, I am talking about those rice burners taking off with a little old lady behind the wheel normally taking off from a light. Seems like when I shift to second, they are long gone.

Was that little old lady from Pasadena?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/15/2019 2:34 PM  #30

MS wrote:

No, TKO, I am talking about those rice burners taking off with a little old lady behind the wheel normally taking off from a light. Seems like when I shift to second, they are long gone.

Little Old Lady from Pasadena perhaps?

Its crazy though, I was watching Motor Week on TV this morning and a freaking Honda Passport now has 280HP, runs 0-60 in 6.5 and the 1/4 in 15 flat.  Here's the trick: 9 speed auto trans.  Its always in the powerband.  My buddy's '95 Lightning ran a 15 flat and we thought that was fast as hell for a truck.  Its crazy how fast everything has gotten. 

9/15/2019 3:01 PM  #31

I want to see someone put the new 10 speed in an old Mustang but I don think there is room for the computer any place. I saw one on a friends new F150 Platinum. Purttie fancy getup.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/15/2019 3:09 PM  #32

My 2019 F150 with 5.0 Coyote has a ten speed, looks way too big to fit.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/16/2019 5:54 AM  #33

You would need to completely remove the trans tunnel and start over with a modern automatic.  They are absolutely huge.  Then there's the computer side of it.  It would probably work fine if integrated into a complete engine/trans swap, but otherwise it would need a stand alone controller.  The amount of work required to swap the newer tech into a non stock platform is IMO not worth it except as an exercise to show what your shop, etc. can do.

I'll just get by with a little less power in a lighter vehicle.  I don't really care if the newer stuff is faster.  Anyone with money can buy a new car.  Its been proven MANY times that not just anyone can restore a classic, and you could buy another '67 fastback, but you couldn't buy mine, because at this point here's a lot in that car that's one off stuff I've built.  In the end what matters is what that car means to me, and how I feel when I drive it.  Other cars may make me smile with what they can do, but they can't make me 17 again.

Oh, and Rudi, I owe you a Coke

9/16/2019 2:49 PM  #34

TKOPerformance wrote:

Its crazy how fast everything has gotten.  

You mean it's kind of depressing... Who would have thought the day would come where you got smoked at a set of lights by a little old lady in a rice burner. I don't even think the Beach Boys saw this one coming.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/16/2019 5:59 PM  #35

Stevo wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

You mean it's kind of depressing... Who would have thought the day would come where you got smoked at a set of lights by a little old lady in a rice burner. I don't even think the Beach Boys saw this one coming.

You guys are talking about “quick”, not fast. Fast is top end. Anyone that says they are the same would call their engine a motor.

9/16/2019 6:40 PM  #36

Your bottles have "Motor Oil" printed on them because they contain oil formulated to go inside your motor.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/16/2019 8:09 PM  #37

I have a KIA Borrego with 275hp and it really gets up goes!  When I punch it at a stop light I see a lot of head lights in the rear view mirror.

9/17/2019 6:12 AM  #38

Its in no way shape or form depressing.  If 50 year old cars were faster than new ones it would mean that not only did we make no progress in 50 years; we backslid.  That would be at best embarrassing, but at worst its really an indictment of the entire human race and to me would indicate that we were unfit to survive and would probably become extinct in short order.  Technology advances.  If it didn't we would still be living in caves and hunting with rocks.

"Quick" and "fast", "motor" and "engine"; its all just semantics.  New words and new definitions are added to the dictionary all the time, because, again, evolution.  At some point a word in common usage becomes its meaning by subsuming its historical definition.  As an example, when I say someone is "gay" today we all know I don't mean "happy".  That's a change in understanding that is fairly recent.  The 1890's were referred to as the "Gay '90s", and the lyrics to the Flinstones theme song from only a couple decades ago ended with "...we'll have a gay old time".  Yet today that initial reference would indicate a persons orientation. 

9/17/2019 9:25 AM  #39

Hornman wrote:

Stevo wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

You guys are talking about “quick”, not fast. Fast is top end. Anyone that says they are the same would call their engine a motor.

Well said Ron...(as usual)!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/17/2019 11:28 AM  #40

TKOPerformance wrote:

Its in no way shape or form depressing.  If 50 year old cars were faster than new ones it would mean that not only did we make no progress in 50 years; we backslid.  That would be at best embarrassing, but at worst its really an indictment of the entire human race and to me would indicate that we were unfit to survive and would probably become extinct in short order.  Technology advances.  If it didn't we would still be living in caves and hunting with rocks.

"Quick" and "fast", "motor" and "engine"; its all just semantics.  New words and new definitions are added to the dictionary all the time, because, again, evolution.  At some point a word in common usage becomes its meaning by subsuming its historical definition.  As an example, when I say someone is "gay" today we all know I don't mean "happy".  That's a change in understanding that is fairly recent.  The 1890's were referred to as the "Gay '90s", and the lyrics to the Flinstones theme song from only a couple decades ago ended with "...we'll have a gay old time".  Yet today that initial reference would indicate a persons orientation. 

Constant misuse of a word does not change the meaning. The social segment trying to appropriate the word gay is trying to direct attention away from the actual term for their orientation. It is unfortunate that the males were too lazy to come up with as good an alternative term as the females.

9/17/2019 1:53 PM  #41

'Queer' is now an acceptable term.....let's just use that one......(LGBTQ)

"Hey queer" usta get you in trouble......now its OK!
Bizzar-o world fer sure!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/18/2019 11:33 AM  #42

If motor is good enough for the Ford Motor Company, it's good enough for me.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/18/2019 4:32 PM  #43

Actually it does.  Its referred to as a semantic shift.  It happens all the time as languages evolve.  Its extremely important when referencing historical texts, because often a modern meaning is totally different than the word's original meaning. 

Here's another example:  If I referred to something as "awful" it would be taken negatively, as a synonym for "terrible".  Actually that's not what the word originally meant.  It meant "full of wonder"; it was a direct shortening of "full of awe".  Obviously a positive connotation.

This happens all the time.  Language is fluid.  Words fall out of use, new words are created & assimilated, and word meanings change over time.  If it didn't I doubt any of us would recognize but a few words of the languages from which English evolved. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.