FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2019 6:17 PM  #1

Soooo now theres This.....Detonation, Pinging, maybe im dumb?

Hi folks, me again, and again, and again....I never thought there would be so many issues owning a Turn Key Survivor car...everythings been done, sometimes twice and yet more goes wrong....

Not sure if people recognize my name but I own the 69 SportsRoof with a 351W moded (not stroked), Full MSD Ignition, T5 Super Duty, 3.73 Auburn Limited Slip with a 750Edel Carb...
Now, this was the second rebuild in less than a decade for this street car (disaster and now has cost me almost $12k) and whats happening is:

At lower RPM's, when throttled somewhat aggressively - to - full WOT, I get pinging.....if this is unclear I'll try with numbers.  ie 1st gear never Pinging start to finish, but If I shift early and the rpm's are lower, speed is slower and I try to do a rapid change I get a quick moment of Pinging......the Worst of it starts after 3rd!  as I climb gears and the rpm's are under around 2200, and my speed is modest to slower, I get a lot more pinging, until the rpm's Climb, then nothing right to 6500 (and maybe more??? never tried past that).

Ive never experienced this so not sure other than retarding the timing across the entire spectrum, which just seems strange given it happens at time Ive never heard or seen before on any cars...esp mine over the past 10yrs after converting it to the T5.

*All I had attempted to do to try and rectify thus far is put my Distributor back to Stock springs and used the Purple Cam which if memory serves me correctly reduced the timing to 18deg max (over the blue cam which was 21 I think)

many thanks,
Jeff

9/15/2019 6:52 PM  #2

Re: Soooo now theres This.....Detonation, Pinging, maybe im dumb?

Specs on the camshaft....especially the duration and LSA.  Also the compression ratio.
6sal6
I assume you use hi test/premium gas

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/15/2019 7:49 PM  #3

Cam: Comp 35-424-8
Lobe Sep. =110
intake centerline 106
                                  Intake             Exhaust
      Duration                 276                  282
      @50                      224                  230

Lift                               .513                 .513
lobe lift                         .321                 .321      

Compression they did not tell me.......Yes High Test, 91oct typically and 93 if I can find it.....car wont run without 91+

Is this a Normal thing to have happen, well normal behavior with Pinging?  I thought it would always Ping, not just with a higher drive gear at a low/lower rpm

9/15/2019 8:58 PM  #4

Put a strobe on it.  Then let us know what it shows.  Too much advance will cause pinging at low rpm and high load like punching it in high at low speed.  Your cam should be fine from 2,000 and probably even lower.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/16/2019 5:58 AM  #5

The detonation you describe is exactly when an engine will detonate with something on the ragged edge (timing, octane, etc.).  Low RPM high load is the hardest on an engine and demands the most.  I would check timing and see where you are base, total, and when total is in (at what RPM).  You may need to reduce base timing, or delay full advance.   

9/16/2019 7:18 AM  #6

Typically mid range detonation can be dialed out by adjusting the vacuum advance with an allen wrench, accessed by removing the vacuum hose on the advance.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/16/2019 10:34 AM  #7

Try plugging the vac advance and try it.........just for a test.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/16/2019 8:27 PM  #8

Great Idea Sally.....I put the Dist. back to stock and increased the CAM size, but didnt think to remove it......

thanks everyone, I will start with Removing the VAC ADV, then work backwards with what everyone else said, it is clearly something simple and in the parameters of your suggestions!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.