FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2019 8:24 PM  #1

Hydraulic clutch

Does anyone know of someone or some company that offers a kit to install an external slave cylinder for hydraulic clutch actuation?  The application would need to be for a '65 with a 4speed top loader.  I am totally fed up with the hydraulic release bearing set-up.  Thanks Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

9/17/2019 10:14 PM  #2

Re: Hydraulic clutch

Rosehill performance.  Glen and Steve are forum members and will help you out.

9/18/2019 10:33 AM  #3

retired 65 wrote:

Does anyone know of someone or some company that offers a kit to install an external slave cylinder for hydraulic clutch actuation?  The application would need to be for a '65 with a 4speed top loader.  I am totally fed up with the hydraulic release bearing set-up.  Thanks Jerry

What kind of issues are you having Jerry?   I was looking at something like that for my 69?

9/18/2019 2:45 PM  #4

Steve69 wrote:

retired 65 wrote:

What kind of issues are you having Jerry?   I was looking at something like that for my 69?

All kinds of problems.  Mostly can't get system bled of all the air.  I on my 4th 12 oz. bottle of brake fluid and still don't have a release of the clutch.  I've followed everyone's instructions as far as I can tell on setting up the release bearing for proper clearance, proper stroke of the master cylinder linkage and getting air out of the system.  I have a full shield bell housing which requires pulling the trans each time I have to do anything related to the release bearing.  Had one line with a hole in it which needed to be changed which meant needed to bleed everything again.  System just way to temper mental.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

9/18/2019 3:27 PM  #5

retired 65 wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

retired 65 wrote:

All kinds of problems.  Mostly can't get system bled of all the air.  I on my 4th 12 oz. bottle of brake fluid and still don't have a release of the clutch.  I've followed everyone's instructions as far as I can tell on setting up the release bearing for proper clearance, proper stroke of the master cylinder linkage and getting air out of the system.  I have a full shield bell housing which requires pulling the trans each time I have to do anything related to the release bearing.  Had one line with a hole in it which needed to be changed which meant needed to bleed everything again.  System just way to temper mental.

Sounds like a PIA!  Thanks for the info!

9/18/2019 4:42 PM  #6

With your aftermarket bellhousing you may be able to use a pusher or puller external slave depending on if the bell has provisions for the ball used on the cable-type forks and/or the pivot used on the 60's style.  I went back to a 66 bellhousing with my TKO and a different input shaft to save some precious space.  You can drill the factory bell for the ball but I chose to use the 68 small block fork.  I did something similar on my Cobra after failing the hydraulic TOB 3 times (goofy square o-rings).  On the Cobra, I tied one end of the Wilwood slave to the transmission cross member and the other used a ball-like setup on a slightly shortened fork.  Even though it is best not to tie one end to the other side of a mount, it worked great.  The mounts were still enough that there wasn't enough trans movement to affect the clutch.

For the Mustang, I shortened the fork by 7/8" for header clearance and a ratio that would need less slave cylinder travel.  On the TKO, I was able to fashion a bracket a that attaches to the output shaft housing.  The pictures I'll attach aren't perfect but you'll get the idea.  I used the Speedway slave cylinder at $35.00 but if I have to replace it I'll get the Wilwood.  I gravity bled it and it worked right off the bat.  I will probably re-make my rear bracket to get a straighter pull but I have tested it and so far so good.  I did re-clock the inlet and bleeder after the pictures for a better hose position.

For ease of installation and off-the-shelf parts you may want to go with the puller style that uses the cable fork.  It took me an hour to fabricate my brackets so the cost was pretty low.

chemical makeup of aluminum upload images when should you drop collision insurance

9/18/2019 5:22 PM  #7

Contact DazeCars.  He's a member here and has created kits.
https://dazecars.com/dazed/test.html#3
https://dazecars.com/dazed/home.html

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/19/2019 10:57 AM  #8

GPatrick wrote:

With your aftermarket bellhousing you may be able to use a pusher or puller external slave depending on if the bell has provisions for the ball used on the cable-type forks and/or the pivot used on the 60's style.  I went back to a 66 bellhousing with my TKO and a different input shaft to save some precious space.  You can drill the factory bell for the ball but I chose to use the 68 small block fork.  I did something similar on my Cobra after failing the hydraulic TOB 3 times (goofy square o-rings).  On the Cobra, I tied one end of the Wilwood slave to the transmission cross member and the other used a ball-like setup on a slightly shortened fork.  Even though it is best not to tie one end to the other side of a mount, it worked great.  The mounts were still enough that there wasn't enough trans movement to affect the clutch.

For the Mustang, I shortened the fork by 7/8" for header clearance and a ratio that would need less slave cylinder travel.  On the TKO, I was able to fashion a bracket a that attaches to the output shaft housing.  The pictures I'll attach aren't perfect but you'll get the idea.  I used the Speedway slave cylinder at $35.00 but if I have to replace it I'll get the Wilwood.  I gravity bled it and it worked right off the bat.  I will probably re-make my rear bracket to get a straighter pull but I have tested it and so far so good.  I did re-clock the inlet and bleeder after the pictures for a better hose position.

For ease of installation and off-the-shelf parts you may want to go with the puller style that uses the cable fork.  It took me an hour to fabricate my brackets so the cost was pretty low.

chemical makeup of aluminum upload images when should you drop collision insurance

Good Work GPatrick! 

9/19/2019 3:36 PM  #9

Thanks.  After 10 long years on the rotisserie, the car has all four tires on the ground as of last weekend.  Undercarriage is finished so next is finishing the engine compartment and then on to paint.  After travelling 36 plus weeks per year for the last few decades my new retired life should give me a bit more time to finish it off.

9/19/2019 4:36 PM  #10

Congratulations, it is looking super clean.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/21/2019 1:48 PM  #11

Rufus68 wrote:

All my kits are for a T5 where the clutch fork actuates back to front.  I too am not a fan of the hydraulic throw out bearing.  I don't like the way they feel plus all the other issues bleeding, leaking and the like.  I have a design for a toploader kit (similar to what GPatrick did) but have not had time to prototype it. It should work for both the toploader and the T5 when using an OEM bell and adapter plate.   I am crazy busy lately officiating football but might be able to get it built and tested after the football season.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

9/21/2019 7:44 PM  #12

Daze wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

............. might be able to get it built and tested after the football season.[/color]

Uuuhhhhhhhhhh, yeah!........What else you gonna do with -40 degrees and 6 feet of snow??!!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/21/2019 8:06 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Uuuhhhhhhhhhh, yeah!........What else you gonna do with -40 degrees and 6 feet of snow??!!!

Not quite that cold (most of the time) and about twice that much snow 😀

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.