FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2019 7:02 PM  #26

Re: Cam Change?

Here is the balance card. Done back in the old days. Maybe you can interpret it. I don’t know what it means. He said to save it, so there it is.

upload a photo

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/08/2019 4:46 AM  #27

Its just giving you the weight of the various components in grams.  This is how the bobweight is determined, so your total bobweight is 1,874.6 grams.  Then to determine what they need to do to the crank they use a computer program that uses the 100% and 50% bobweight values to arrive at how much material needs to be removed or added, and where. 

This doesn't help with your current issue though because its only part of the puzzle.  Without knowing what imbalance the shop used there's no way to know what should be done to the balancer or flexplate/flywheel.  If they don't have a record of what was done my guess is they are going to try to backwards infer it by seeing what was done to the crank.  This is why he's saying he just needs the crank.  I don't know how successful this is going to be.

Now, what I would do, is get that crank redone so its a 50 oz imbalance.  Get a 50 oz. balancer and flexplate/flywheel and with the bobweight info it should be possible to balance the crank for the standard 50 oz. imbalance.  Given your situation that's what I would do.  If this shop doesn't want to do it for any reason I think I'd just find another shop.  

10/08/2019 7:06 AM  #28

Don, this is turning into quite the ordeal!
So, the guy needs to spin the crank to get a good idea of how to balance the flywheel?? If the motor has been running smooth all these years then the crank, rods, and pistons should be good. I wouldn’t let them do any machining on the crank, it’ll screw up everything else. It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to match the flywheel to the flex plate for balance, but I’m not a machinist.

Since this started with the tranny swap, have you checked to see if something is rubbing? There might be space now, but not once its running. Cross member on transmission case, exhaust on something? Do you see that dual image at idle? If not, when does it start? Speed? RPM?  

Yes, you can take the crank out the bottom, but what a job!! I did it on a sideways mounted 4 cylinder. It was a royal pain and a lot lighter than your crankshaft. That was 25+ years ago too.

If you do a cam swap and get more lobe lift, you will need to degree the cam and check piston to valve clearance.

This seems like a lot of work for over the fender and underneath the car, you sure you can’t find a little bit more space in the garage somewhere?

Start with the cam swap, just in case the pistons need to be flycut to gain any needed clearance.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/08/2019 9:55 AM  #29

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Don, this is turning into quite the ordeal!
So, the guy needs to spin the crank to get a good idea of how to balance the flywheel?? It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to match the flywheel to the flex plate for balance, 

When I first built my 393 stroker circa Y2K, the machinist added weight to the flex plate. When I damaged the crank due to my rookie no flex plate to converter clearance mistake, I asked the new machinist about ever having to match a new flex plate or flywheel to the existing flex plate weight balance. He said it's an easy job and not uncommon. If your machinist can't balance your new flywheel, I'd find another machinist Don.

Yes, you can take the crank out the bottom, but what a job!! 

I thought so too John. I've dropped mine out the bottom a couple of times, and I'd do it again. I used a transmission jack with a wooden fixture to keep the crank in position. Easy one man job.

Start with the cam swap, just in case the pistons need to be flycut to gain any needed clearance.

Good idea. You're gonna need to remove the heads to check piston to valve clearance anyway, so remove that motor.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/08/2019 10:19 AM  #30

What pilot bearing did you use when you removed the flex plate.  I did a search in this thread and don't see any reference.  When they attempted to match your flywheel to the pressure plate did they then also balance the flywheel assembly with the pressure plate?  I had my 50 oz-in flywheel rebalanced to 28 oz-in for the 347 stroker assembly.  The Ram pressure plate has some pretty major holes drilled into it.. To allow for future changes, the flywheel balanced to 28 and the pressure plate was then balanced with the flywheel as an assembly.  The pressure plate is match-marked to the flywheel.  Depending on how the shop did the work if you didn't line up the match marks you could have symptoms you are describing.  Last, you haven't mentioned how smooth or rough the engine is when sitting with the clutch disengaged.  Is it rough all the time or just when you are cruising?  Does the vibration steadily increase as the engine speed increases or are there ranges as you go up in engine speed where the vibration decreases?  Unbalance forces increase at a rate of the square of RPM.  So it has to get worse as RPM goes up.  If there are only certain engine speeds where you have problems then it is most likely not unbalance.

I have had several flywheels matched to the old ones over the years and never had any problem.  If it is a competent shop, which it sounds like it is, then I would look elsewhere before pulling the crank.  With the work that you intend/want to do, I would pull the motor if you have to go that route.

10/09/2019 9:08 AM  #31

GP--  The vibration is as you describe with engine RPM. At idle there is very little vibration, as rpm increases the vibration is more pronounced. When depressing the clutch and letting it idle it is very little. The vibration was always there but not as pronounced as it is now. I guess is due to the weight and mass of the torque converter and automatic. The clutch was balanced with the flywheel and indexed to it. The pilot bearing is a Ford Performance roller bearing.
Bolted-- I've given up on the Cam swap. I was thinking that as long as I had to change the timing cover I could go into the cam. I didn't think about some of the things that needed to be done so that's why I put it out here. I'll deal with the DZZP additive pain. It would mean a complete overhaul, recutting the pistons and new valve springs.
RPM-- I've done this before but never flat backed it or by my self. Thanks for the jack idea.
Thanks for the ideas, tips, and opinions y'all, good stuff brewing in my mind.....mostly
Doug

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/11/2020 12:34 PM  #32

Up Date:

I'm not sure where I left off from this thread and thought I'd give an up date. Balancing the flywheel by it self did not fix the vibration so he wanted the crankshaft. I took it out of the bottom with the engine still in the car. When I got it out 4 out of the 8 connecting rod bearings were down to the copper of the bearings. Talking to the assembler he said the crank was possibly out of round or the connecting rods were out of round. To check them means I have to pull the heads, so I pulled the whole engine and took the engine in pieces to Dennis. He cleaned and rehoned the block and I asked him about a roller cam. He supplied a Comp Cam "kit" to make it like Ford. The cam p/n is a 35-421-8. A long time ago some one asked what my compression ration was so I was able to measure everything and came up with 9.7 roughly. I'm not sure I measured the head gasket thickness correctly or the piston dish but I think? it's probably close. I lost the timing marks on the dampener when I cleaned it up but didn't think it would be a problem thinking an advanced timing light would find it for me. NOT! But I didn't know. When I fired it up it did immediately and idled fine I ran it till it got to running temp. After checking for leaks I went to drive it. When I gave some throttle to get on the street it back fired so went around the block back to the house. When I got out of the car I could hear the engine knocking. I narrowed down to a connecting rod bolt striking the oil pan.? I drained the oil and removed the pan and found where I think it was hitting the pan. It's a (new) aftermarket replacement so I "fixed" it. The oil was real black and looked like a new can of very fine metallic paint. It puzzled me that the oil pan would make that much metal. Last night I remembered reading  about changing the distributor gear. I removed the dist to find that the cam is worn down some. Question: can I flush the engine with a couple of oil changes? Or should I pull the engine and have it flushed? I'm concerned about the lifters. I pulled one connecting rod bearing and it was wearing down to the next layer past the shinny layer of bearing material. And so the Mustang work still goes.

1/11/2020 5:52 PM  #33

This doesn’t sound good Doug.

The right way and the easy way aren’t always the same way!!!

Have you cut the oil filter open yet?

With what you have said, I would be pulling the engine back out to disassemble and clean all the parts and passages. I don’t think your cam is hurt, but the distributor gear should show some where.

If you flush it with a drill motor and steady supply of oil, you might get lucky. Kinda depends on what size the particulars are and what your oil filter element will allow to pass. Some of those particles could be embedding themselves inside your oil pump.

1/11/2020 6:15 PM  #34

And here I thought my saga was a tear jerker. 

The fact that the oil turned black and metallicy in such a short time bothers me. Those tiny little flakes of metal are probably to small for the filter to catch so how much damage has been done?. On the other hand the run time on the engine is short. I would be tempted to change the oil frequently in the next few weeks and monitor from there. Bearings seem to loose that first thin coating in just a few revolutions of the crank so I feel they be OK. 

As for the cam, a new one is probably needed since you trashed the gear. 

Good Luck.

Last edited by RV6 (1/11/2020 6:17 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/11/2020 6:24 PM  #35

Did  'Dennis' assemble the engine or you?
Was the engine up to temp or were you just driving it while it warmed up?
All these questions because.............sure seems like rod bearing should NOT  be down to the copper/babbet (whatever!) in such a short time....especially since you just went around the block.
Who knows....maybe the distrb gear 'grindings' circulated through and eat up the rod bearings that quickly?!

With the time AND money you got tied up in it already..........prolly smart to pull it again......wipe the bores with paper towels and Brakleen (I love this stuff!) and see what shows up on the paper.  Replace oil pump......bearings....gaskets.......(you know the drill)....flush the roller lifters and lifter valley in Brakleen (or Lacquer thinner).....clean the pan and try it again.
Makes mine (AND Gary's RV-6's) issues sorta pale in comparison. 
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/11/2020 6:56 PM  #36

The good news is we've got three months till Bash D day.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/11/2020 9:13 PM  #37

I m afraid that might not be long enough. I've been at it since getting home from the bash.

I let the engine warm up before took off. The bearings have 4 layers to them. It was worn down just through the the first one. Not through the babbitt or into the copper. The gear grindings didn't stick to a magnet, sooo??? 

The cam gear show wear but not very much for the amount that seems to be in the oil.

I'm not sure about flushing it. The left over oil just after lubing whatever is pushed out or away from the lubed part to flow eventually back to the oil pan. There would be left over tailings from the oil flowing.

1/12/2020 6:44 AM  #38

I'm confused, the oil that came out was basically the break in oil, correct?  The metal in it was non magnetic?

1/12/2020 2:01 PM  #39

TKOPerformance wrote:

I'm confused, the oil that came out was basically the break in oil, correct?  The metal in it was non magnetic?

You are correct. It has around the block time on it only.  It confuses me too that it is non magnetic. The oil I put in was Driven BR30. It is a clear yellow oil out of the bottle. The more I think about it I wonder if it is the left over machine work that doesn't get washed out and maybe it is more of the grinding stone that was left over. I was told to wash the cylinders with ATF and coat the pistons and cylinders with it. I also used an assembly grease that is black in color. I looked at the cam again with a better mirror that doesn't have a parralex to it. The cam is just beginning to dis color. Maybe I'm having engine builders anxiety.

1/12/2020 3:04 PM  #40

Aluminum, copper, brass, etc are non-magnetic. While I am not a firm believer in regular oil analysis I might be tempted to send a sample to blackstone or others. Have you cut the filter open?

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/12/2020 4:38 PM  #41

HudginJ3 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

You are correct. It has around the block time on it only. It confuses me too that it is non magnetic. The oil I put in was Driven BR30. It is a clear yellow oil out of the bottle. The more I think about it I wonder if it is the left over machine work that doesn't get washed out and maybe it is more of the grinding stone that was left over. I was told to wash the cylinders with ATF and coat the pistons and cylinders with it. I also used an assembly grease that is black in color. I looked at the cam again with a better mirror that doesn't have a parralex to it. The cam is just beginning to dis color. Maybe I'm having engine builders anxiety.

Ding, ding, ding!  If the second oil change came out like that I'd be concerned, but the break in oil is always going to look like that.  All the non magnetic stuff is the bearings running in (outer layer only), leftover junk in everything, assembly lube, etc.

FWIW, I always wash an engine block after it comes back from the machine shop.  I fill two 5 gallon buckets with hot water and use a drill driven pump to circulate it and flush al passages, etc.  Wash is done with water and some Tide detergent.  Follow up with clean hot water to rinse.  Then blow and towel dry, and WD-40 on all machined surfaces.  The hot water greatly reduces the formation of flash rust.

I also thoroughly clean all parts being used in the engine.  You'd be surprised how dirty things like lifters are right out of the box.  I found several small metal shavings in the pushrods for my 331.  Best case they would have partially occluded the oil flow to the rockers.  Worst case a piece of hardened metal would have been floating around in the oil. 

If it runs good I wouldn't worry about it yet. 

1/12/2020 5:09 PM  #42

Sounds like better better news today vs yesterday! (must be a lesson in there somewhere)
Since the pan is down I would wash it out with Brakleen (I love that stuff!)  .......fill it full of cheap Walmart 30 weight and RUN IT!
Tune it up and drive it/break in/seat  the rings.......... change the oil and give it a good 'look see'  and get ready for the Beach trip
Good news is always....................well.............good!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/12/2020 6:33 PM  #43

I hope it’s leftovers in the break in oil. The path forward would be a lot less work than what I envisioned. 

1/12/2020 8:48 PM  #44

Well that's what I'm going with, and the frequent oil changes. WYAIT told me to change out the dist gear and clutch release lever though, so I'll be doing what he says. I thought the lever was supposed to have a hole in it for the clutch push rod till it got jammed in there. 

1/13/2020 6:26 AM  #45

The distributor gear is a must to be compatible with the roller cam. Don't go with a bronze gear. It will leave you on side of the road when the teeth wear off.

1/13/2020 7:16 AM  #46

The big thing on the distributor gear is to make sure its matched to the cam.  I've run roller cams that did not require a specialized gear.  They had an iron distributor gear pressed on, instead of one cut into the cam made from the same steel as the cam. 

The factory used a "melonized" gear with roller cams.

I agree with avoiding bronze gears.  Fine for a race car with a billet solid roller cam, but not designed for a street application.

1/16/2020 11:21 AM  #47

Good reason to never change the balance of a harmonic balancer or flywheel, items that get replaced over time.   351w based engines use 28 oz parts, not 50.  My 427 uses zero balance flywheel and balancer. 5.0 based typically uses 28, except for 331 and 347 strokers, so... you can look at your balancer and flywheel to see what they are from originally.

Yes, they should be able to match your old flexplate.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/16/2020 1:36 PM  #48

This is a good reason not to go with a stroker crank kit when you don't know anything about souping up engines. The new crankshaft came not balanced from the manufacture, Speed-O-Motive in Calif. that is now out of business. Their instructions said to use a 302 or 351 flywheel and that it would need to be balanced together as an assembly with the crank. I had a the 351W flexplate when I installed the engine originally converting it to the C4 automatic. One of the reasons I did the C4 was I thought it would be my daily driver in this Dallas traffic. A lot of extra weight was put on the flexplate to bring the crank assembly into balance. He tried to put all the weight on the crank using "heavy weight" the there was not enough room on the crank to do that. Last year I decided to go back to the manual transmission set up that the car came with and came up with the T5. Not even sure that's a wise choice given my engine. I already had the 302 flywheel and didn't think it would be a big deal to change the balance of that one. As it was he did add more than 25 ozs. to it. He did say he didn't know why he couldn't match it to the flexplate by it self but after seeing the bearings it turned out to be a good thing. After getting it back the second time I can see that more metal was added to the flywheel. He didn't change the weight of the harmonic balancer but did add more weight to the front of the crankshaft as well. I never thought the flywheel as being a consumable piece but I guess the clutch and the starter gear can wear it out. So much for a stroker crank.
  The most frustrating thing now is after getting it all back together and driving it last night, it seems as if nothing has been fixed except the vibration. The engine still has a knock in it and the transmission still slips out of gear when your lightly throttled or coasting. To say the least I'm frustrated.

1/16/2020 2:56 PM  #49

I feel your pain Doug. How does the oil look now?
Did you have a Windage tray that’s getting hit by a crank throw? Valve out of adjustment? Kinda spit balling here!!

1/16/2020 3:23 PM  #50

Tran popping out of gear is most likely due to rounded engagement teeth on the speed gear.  It will need a new gear to fix it.

On balance, when you build a stroker they are going to typically be balanced at one of the two SBF balances, or zero.  My 331, despite being based on a 5.0 uses the old 28oz. imbalance. 

The other trick to balancers is where you are reading timing.  Ford has used three different locations over the years and the pointer location must match the marks on the balancer or your timing will be at best pretty far off, and at worse WAY off.  This is why I always take the time to establish true TDC with a piston stop and verify that it reads correctly or change it via timing tape, etc. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.