FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2019 4:47 PM  #1

Door Panel Solution

"Start rant" Come on auto freaking stupid rip off industry, 50 years later and you still make door panels out of &$%%$&^% paper machete materials that breaks when using the metal spring clips. You should be ashamed of yourselves."End Rant".

At the last Bash I was showing a couple people how the strong magnets hold my door panels on instead of those nasty little spring clips that shred the crappy paper machete that door panels. So far it is a big success and I can remove and rplace with panels with zero issues.

I got tired of removing the heavy plastic inner panel held on by a thin roll of black tar. I was thinking "Really??? this is the best that wwe can do?". Protecting the paper machetedoor panels is important but using black tar and plastic.

I found the solution for this issue as well. We recently had to have our shower rebuilt in our bathroom because of horrible installation from the builders. The men we hired were OCD and overbuilt everything. My kind of workers. One item they used to completely seal the areas behind the tile and grout is Mapelastic Aquadefense. Paint on liquid rubber sealing membrane. Two coats, a thin first coat to keep the panel from warping and the thicker second coat to completely seal it.

Last edited by Mochaman (10/21/2019 4:52 PM)

10/21/2019 4:51 PM  #2

Re: Door Panel Solution

10/21/2019 4:52 PM  #3

10/21/2019 4:53 PM  #4

10/21/2019 5:09 PM  #5

Ummmmmmmmmm looks yummmmmy!!
I used that peel and stick from Home Despot. Acts as a sound dampner also.
Does your stuff get hard?!  (no seriously......does  your MapleSyrupa Aquafena stuff harden?!)
Will it crack?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/21/2019 6:57 PM  #6

I think the tarpaper glued to the door FRAME is designed to stop moisture and air flow from entering the interior. Looks like your stuff should do a great job keeping moisture from damaging the door panel.

I sure do like the magnets.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/22/2019 8:49 AM  #7

The green rubber coating doesn't get hard, stays pliable andflexible. Unlike my back muscles.

10/22/2019 10:49 AM  #8

Yea, it seems like home builders are interested in building something that will last 50 years anymore. We used something similar called Redguard for sealing our shower. Same basic concept. I doubt the auto manufactures would use it though since its about $50 a gallon.  

I like the magnets too and used them on my car. They worked out great. I still have the paper and strip caulk holding the waterproofing paper!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/22/2019 12:41 PM  #9

Ed, what kind of glue did you use to stick the magnets to the door panel? I haven’t had much luck gluing magnets to anything.

10/22/2019 3:38 PM  #10

Just a curiosity question.

Do ya have both door panels set up the same? (Polarity wise)
If not, they would stick together and might be difficult to separate.
Just food for thought.

Just my OCD talking.😜

Great idea Ed!

Last edited by Nos681 (10/22/2019 3:46 PM)

10/22/2019 6:18 PM  #11

Nos681 wrote:

Just a curiosity question.

Do ya have both door panels set up the same? (Polarity wise)
If not, they would stick together and might be difficult to separate.
Just food for thought.

Just my OCD talking.😜

Great idea Ed!

Maybe they could be wired to prevent rust?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/22/2019 7:57 PM  #12

You never want these magnets to approach each other. I only use one set glues onto the door panel. No magnets are on the car. 
I used these magnets. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KDBJWC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10/22/2019 7:58 PM  #13

Ron here is the glue I used. JB Weld. 

10/23/2019 7:25 AM  #14

Did you use 15 per side?

Cjpony USED to have the plastic barrier.
I recently ordered a set and expected the plastic and got the tar paper.
Was disappointed.
Didn’t want to deal with restocking and shipping fees.

Last edited by Nos681 (10/23/2019 7:28 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.