FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2013 8:27 AM  #1

A bumpsteer solution

After driving 2500 mile with the new rack and pinion steering it was time to evaluate.
(The Quest for new spindles and rack and pinion steering,  http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=314 ) I noticed that sometimes the steering wheel made an unexpected movement, so when the road was not flat I kept the steering wheel tight with both hands. This behavior was also predicted by some other forum members in the topic about my new rack and pinion steering. Time to do something about the bumpsteering issue. It was not all the time present but if it doesn’t occur it would be more relaxed driving. Flaming River doesn’t provide any bumpsteer kit for their racks and they advice for the kit of Pro Motorsports.

The anti bumpsteer of Pro Motorsports.

I don’t have much space between my 235/60 R14 tire and the spindle arm connection to the out tie rod end. So the bolt on the corrector could hit my tire.

The anti bumpsteer of Baer.

Also Baer was offering a nice anti bumpsteer kit. My mechanic was not very fond of extending the connection between the tie rods and the spindle arm. Another option was higher the rack. So after unbolting the cradle and the rack it seems that is should be possible. First thing was grinding off the pedal support for the rack and weld it higher on the cradle and also in an angle so that the double-D came in a straight line with the steering house on the rack.

Old situation

The cradle with the pedal support grinded off

The test welding of the pedal support on the cradle

The definitive welding of the pedal support with extra reinforcement at the right side.

The rack mounted on the higher pedal support.

Before.

After

Before: tie rod at passenger side

After: tie rod at passenger side

Before:  tie rod at driver’s side

After:  tie rod at driver’s side

So the angle of the tie rods are now more parallel to the lower control arms. I haven’t driven yet with the new situation. But in the meantime also my strut rods have been replaced with adjustable strut rods. So the car has to be aligned, again. But where to start from setting the caster. It can be done with the adjustable strut rods and by adding/removing shims. That jobs has also be done and can be found:  http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=13793#p13793

Last edited by RonNL (12/20/2013 9:45 AM)

12/20/2013 11:07 AM  #2

Re: A bumpsteer solution

Nice work Ron that's what you call fixing it the right way! I guess driving it will be the real test let us know.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/20/2013 11:51 AM  #3

Thanks. All the credits go to my mechanic Peter Onken from Katella Classics, who has done this great job.

I think the first long drive will be in March or April, depending on the weather. At least we want to make in April the trip to the Mustang Fever in Belgium. This is an annual Mustang only meeting organized by the Mustang Garage in Heusden Zolder. This year there were about 350 Mustangs from Belgium, The Netherlands, England, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland. It's quite an event and very famous among Mustang enthusiasts. So that will be a nice test drive.

Ron

12/20/2013 1:51 PM  #4

Looks good Ron!  Take lots of pics when you go to Mustang Fever.

12/20/2013 3:20 PM  #5

Here are a few pictures of the Mustang Fever 2013:  http://imageshack.us/g/1/10239200/

These are sets of other classic car meetings in The Netherlands and Belgium:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27932319@N00/sets/

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10239152/

Last edited by RonNL (12/20/2013 4:10 PM)

12/20/2013 8:14 PM  #6

But, wait a minute...  Just having them parallel in static position isn't going to help, is it?  Have you driven it and seen any improvement?  The fact the distance between the inner tie rods and the outer tie rods is way shorter than the distance from the inner control arm pivot to the ball joint is going to induce some pretty serious bumpsteer..

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/21/2013 12:17 PM  #7

MustangSteve wrote:

But, wait a minute...  Just having them parallel in static position isn't going to help, is it?  Have you driven it and seen any improvement?  The fact the distance between the inner tie rods and the outer tie rods is way shorter than the distance from the inner control arm pivot to the ball joint is going to induce some pretty serious bumpsteer..

That my friends seems to be the problem with the early Flaming River system. There has been a lot of internet chatter on this issue since the introduction of FR's R&P.
The new one seems to have addressed the problem but I have yet to read of any that have been installed.
It seems that Unisteer and Total Control have the least problems.

Anytime the ride height is altered from stock bump steer rears its ugly head.  Even the lowered newer cars, right up to the S197's suffer from bump steer as indicated by the number of companies making  kits to correct the geometry.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

12/22/2013 7:11 AM  #8

What is the latest info on R&P kits for early Mustangs 65 thru 70 has anybody cured the original problems....turning radius increase.....bump steer?????

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

12/22/2013 9:15 AM  #9

I have only driven about two miles, from the garage to home. The weather here at the moment is not Mustang convertible friendly. Rain, strong wind, sometimes stormy and when there is snow the car remains inside. A test drive has to wait.

The Flaming River R&P is brandnew. I bought it this year and it's installed in March. I hoped the movement of the pedal support would minimize the bumpsteer. But after reading the comment here it will be probably still present. I don't think there are other solutions in my case for completly eliminate the bumpsteer. Shortening the lower control arm or extend the tie rods will not be an option.

Ron

12/23/2013 3:42 PM  #10

I know you said they won't work for you, but I have had the Pro Motorsports Bumpsteer corrector kit on the Mach for over 20 years and it works great. Front is very low to the ground - 750 lb coil spring cut 1.25 coils... Love it... Just saying... No rack, just good ole Manual Steering

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

12/23/2013 5:53 PM  #11

I'd check the bump steer before I drove it since driving won't happen till the spring. Remove the spring, and check the toe at about 2" intervals thru the suspension travel.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/24/2013 8:20 AM  #12

This makes a pretty good argument for the "Borgenson Steering Box". Mine works pretty slick!!!
Howard

12/24/2013 2:04 PM  #13

hmartin025 wrote:

This makes a pretty good argument for the "Borgenson Steering Box". Mine works pretty slick!!!
Howard

x2

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

12/24/2013 4:09 PM  #14

Even with a box, when the car is lowered the tie rod needs to be lowered at the spindle to reduce bump steer.

12/24/2013 5:30 PM  #15

Sometimes a picture is worth a ....

12/24/2013 6:04 PM  #16

Decreased turning radius and bumpsteer are two issues I don't have with my sometimes maligned Unisteer Power R&P.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

12/29/2013 9:23 AM  #17

Although once in a while bumpsteer may occur, the benefit of the rack en pinion steering is much greather than the disadvantages. Driving on the highway was quite a job to keep the car in the lane. Also on small country road or in parkings it was always to pay extra attention to the steering. Now the steering is direct.

Today I went for a three hours drive, highway, bumpy countryroads and everything between this. Until now I experienced no bumpsteer issues.
Any other problems that may occur, I let you know.

Ron

Last edited by RonNL (12/29/2013 11:20 AM)

12/29/2013 10:42 AM  #18

Thats the spirit Ron

drive it like you stole it

Tonie

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.