FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2018 1:01 AM  #1

Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing Issues

Hi Guys need some insight here. It’s a 67 Mustang with 390 and TKO 600. The clutch pedal went to the floor this afternoon and left a puddle under the car.  > Fluid was leaking from the bottom of the scatter shield. Pulled the transmission and got a look at the hydraulic TO bearing.

It looks like the adjusting collar had adjusted itself into the housing increasing the distance that the bearing had to be pushed out to engage the clutch. Is that possible? Thought it was supposed to go the other way. I didn’t realize this until the bearing separated from the housing in my hands.

Looking down in the housing, it appears that the internal seal / gasket has twisted. The orange colored seal looks to be in good shape. Are these things rebuildable? What’s my chances with untwisting the internal seal and slapping it back together?

I have no experience dealings with these things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Untitled

Untitled

This is the best picture while it's still in the car.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/01/2018 1:45 AM  #2

Re: Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing Issues

John, I also have no experience with them .... the one thing I do know, is that the adjustment is a critical part of the setup. Probably for that reason.
If you don't mind the risk of an extra R&R, I'd be very tempted to put it back together, adjust, and try it out.
I'm sure someone with more experience will let you know.

I hope you can get it to Glen Rose .... I'd really like to see it. My 67 390 coupe was Lime Gold originally and will be again.
Also hope that Gary's new 67 390 coupe can make it.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/01/2018 5:57 AM  #3

I see you're running a Centerforce pressure plate.  Last November I installed a Centerforce pressure plate in my Jeep Liberty with the hope that it would have a softer pedal force for my wife.  2 months ago I was dropping that transmission again because of a noise from the throwout bearing.  To my surprise that throwout bearing had disintegrated. The diaphragm fingers on that relatively new pressure plate were badly worn so I put in a complete new clutch set.  And I did not put back a Centerforce one.  YMMV

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/01/2018 9:22 AM  #4

I don't know anything about those things but if it comes apart it would be easiest to fix that seal. If not you will need to get a couple of picks (coat hanger pieces) to straighten it out. Look for any nicks tears or gouges. If there are any don't waste your time with it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/01/2018 11:29 AM  #5

50vert wrote:

John, I also have no experience with them .... the one thing I do know, is that the adjustment is a critical part of the setup. Probably for that reason.
If you don't mind the risk of an extra R&R, I'd be very tempted to put it back together, adjust, and try it out.
I'm sure someone with more experience will let you know.

I hope you can get it to Glen Rose .... I'd really like to see it. My 67 390 coupe was Lime Gold originally and will be again.
Also hope that Gary's new 67 390 coupe can make it.

I did all the measurements when I set it up initially and it worked well. I’m willing to try it agiain if I can get the inner seal straightened out. But like Hudgin says, it ain’t worth it if there’s a nick or tear.

I bought it from Modern Driveline and will be calling them on Tuesday to see what they say.

I will set it up again with the proper clearance for install to see where the adjusting collar is sitting as a means to check if it adjusted itself backward from what it should have been.

I’m hoping I can get it to Glenrose too. Sheryl is getting a little gun shy about taking the long trip and getting stranded on side of the road.

Rufus, I bought my first Centerforce clutch in 1990 for a 85 Mustang GT and put a 100k hard abusive miles on it. It never gave me any trouble, but that was then and many years have passed. This clutch was purchased in 2006 when I had some extra money and sat on the shelf. The diaphragm fingers are in good shape. I will wear this clutch out or break it before moving on to a different brand.

Husgins, it’s in about as many pieces as I think I can get it to without causing major damage. I will look at it more closely to see the condition of the seals / O-rings before going any further.

Thanks for the input.

9/01/2018 12:06 PM  #6

I'm interested what MDL has to say.  I had installed a complete setup from them, trans, clutch, flywheel and external slave.  I never liked the clutch it would have a slight chatter at times.

Also had a disengagement problem.  Had to preload the clutch too much.  Well had the clutch 4 yrs, maybe 2-3k miles.  Well found out they had problems when they spec'd the 69-70 master.  They found it needed a .75 bore instead of a .70.

I ended up replacing the clutch with a Centerforce II.  Found out they are not very fond of Centerforce, they claim a hydraulic throwout bearing can interfere with the weights.

I will have to say working with there tech I wasn't exactly happy the way things were handled.   I ended up emailing the owner and will say he handled things above and beyond.  He refunded me the clutch and replaced the master with the new spec'd ons after 4 yrs.

Last edited by Grabber Blu (9/01/2018 12:08 PM)

9/05/2018 11:14 PM  #7

I’ve spent close to 2 hours on the phone with MDL and Tilton. They both said close to the same thing on all accounts. Like the collar shouldn’t have adjusted inward that far that soon. Spent a lot of time discussing how I set the clearance between the bearing and the clutch fingers to make sure I did it right to begin with. Sent them both a bunch of pictures of how it went together and how I found it after the fact. I also got to confirm that the runout was within spec for the transmission into the scatter sheild.

MDL wasn’t a fan of Centerforce when I ordered the kit in 2013 for the 5 speed. I got the same story on the weights interfering with the bearing. Mine shows no signs of contact. They also talked about the Tilton TO bearing not liking the how the weights caused varying clamping force depending on RPM.

MDL has made some changes to the kit, like a .500” shim at the transmission isolation mount to raise the back end up to get the drive line angle right. I asked the questions before buying the kit in 2013. Will I have to cut the trans tunnel, no. Will the drive line angle be right, yes. I did test fit the transmission before body work was complete. I didn’t check the angle though.  Shame on me for doing half of the work. My boss talks about “trust but verify”, it works for this.

If the angle isn’t right when I get it back together, I don’t think I have the room to install .500’ worth of spacer. That should put me in contact with the tunnel. I will have to install the angles on the rearend to roll the pinion.

Neither was overjoyed with the idea of staking the threads on the collar to prevent or slow adjustment, but understood if I went that route. The Tilton rep did offer up using urethane on the threads to really slow the adjusting ability.

Tilton did ask about tire age when I mentioned having them re- balanced. Could they have flat spots?? At just over a year old, I don’t really think so.

After all the talk, there’s no smoking gun on what caused the collar to adjust inward other than speculation on the vibration!!

A new seal kit for the TO bearing is coming, it should be here on Friday. The drive shaft checked out on balance, it’s not the problem. I will get the tires to the shop this weekend.

Contrary to what I said above, I am looking into a new clutch. I found several stories about the weights on a Centerforce causing vibration issues. As I was laying under the car talking with Tech support, I noticed one of the counter weights hanging below the others on the high side of the circle! I pushed it up and it stayed, but for how long. I can only wonder if that’s the problem. The down side to this is I think I pushed in the clutch at speed and the vibration continued. I didn’t get enough time to troubleshoot before the TO bearing failed.

Still looking to get it to the Bash. At this point, Sheryl has little faith in it and wants to trailer it up there. She doesn’t want to be stranded on side of the road. I can’t say I blame her

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (9/05/2018 11:18 PM)

9/06/2018 5:05 AM  #8

Rufus68 wrote:

I see you're running a Centerforce pressure plate.  Last November I installed a Centerforce pressure plate in my Jeep Liberty with the hope that it would have a softer pedal force for my wife.  2 months ago I was dropping that transmission again because of a noise from the throwout bearing.  To my surprise that throwout bearing had disintegrated. The diaphragm fingers on that relatively new pressure plate were badly worn so I put in a complete new clutch set.  And I did not put back a Centerforce one.  YMMV

Rufus, did it provide the softer pedal you were looking for?

9/07/2018 10:33 AM  #9

gjz30075 wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

Rufus, did it provide the softer pedal you were looking for?

There was no real noticeable decrease in pedal pressure.  And the new clutch and pressure plate that is in there now (a heavy duty one at that) feels about the same as well.  

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/12/2018 8:04 AM  #10

What I have learned from this past weekend. The balance of the drive shaft is good.It was a drop off and pick up of the tires at Discount. The two front tires came back with marks for having the balance adjusted. Don’t know how far out of whack they were.  I posted earlier about the one weight on the Centerforce clutch that was hanging just a bit lower than the others. What I didn’t realize till I was about to unbolt the clutch was the ring of weights was off center of the fingers. I was amazed how little force it would take to move the circle of weights around. I would think they should be able to center themselves once the motor started.  Untitled
 Untitled    

MDL shipped the throw out bearing seal kit and a spacer to me that arrived on Thursday. The clutch was sitting on the front porch Friday morning. I ordered a Tilton bearing seal install tool from Summit. It’s the things I don’t know that bit me in the back side. There is a difference in Next day air and Next day Saturday. I missed that with Summit. The bearing and seal tool arrived this morning!! The brother-in-law came over to help put it all back together. Installing the new seal wasn’t too bad. Used air pressure like they said to get the old one out. I took one of the plastic To Go bowls and cut it up to have a collar to slide into the bearing housing. Like the process Dairy Queen and McDonalds uses to make you ice cream treats and keep the sides of the cup clean. Greased the seal up with the supplied lube and used a cut down portion of a paint stick to work it into the grove. Held it in place with the paint stick and worked the plastic back out. The orange wiper ring popped right in.

There was plenty of thread overlap for adjusting the height of the bearing that the spacer from MDL was not needed with the new McCleod. 

The new mufflers went on too.  

The hardest part of all this was getting the clutch bled. I had pushed all the fluid out master cylinder last week in the parking lot as I kept pushing in the pedal to see if it would heal itself. Using a mighty vac pump from the bottom, I was getting all kinds of air out. What I was not getting was a pedal building pressure. The rear end was sitting lower than the front, so I jacked the back up to be above the front in an effort to release any trapped air.In the end, I held the clutch pedal to the floor with a piece of 2x4. Kept pulling fluid and air out the bottom till it cleared up. Then made sure the reservoir was full and let the clutch pedal up. It sucked the level down in the reservoir. Continuing this process was how I finally got it bled out.With the McCleod, I have a softer pedal than I did with the Centerforce.   

Time for a test drive…… its much improved, but there is still a vibration in the 50 to 75 range. Did not drive faster than that. I think what I was feeling the most was a tire slightly out of balance. The continued vibration is not constant, it changes in amplitude, if that’s the right word. If you put it on a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being no vibes, then is cycles between 5 and 10. Since I’m driving it to Glenrose on Thursday for the Bash and to get some miles behind me, I drove to to work today. It’s sitting in the rain for the first time in decades.  

This weeks home work:Drive line angles. My attempt on Saturday failed. One of the guys from another forum posted an app from Tremec for your phone that will calculate a pass or fail reading. Cal it the idiot’s guide to angles. Mine passed 3 out of 4 tries, I guess it’s OK for now. The throw out bearing looks to be in the same position after a 100 miles of driving. I pulled the cross member back out several times for more grinding, its not touching the transmission at the moment. On a test drive, the resonating vibration is greatly reduced, but not gone. Driving 70-80 is not an issue.  I will pull it again today and see if there is any signs of rubbing.  Pulled the wet front carpet section due to a leaking windshield and attempted to seal windshield. Still have to take a look at the back glass.  

The windshield wipers quit last night in mid travel. Turned them off and they eventually parked. Will be looking for a new wiper motor to take with us.

9/13/2018 2:27 PM  #11

Check out this post and go to the 3rd from last post.  After chasing a vibration problem for years a $35 counterweight is what finally cured my vibration problems.
http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7427

Last edited by Michael H. (9/13/2018 2:29 PM)

9/13/2018 8:29 PM  #12

Michael H. wrote:

Check out this post and go to the 3rd from last post.  After chasing a vibration problem for years a $35 counterweight is what finally cured my vibration problems.
http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7427

Thanks for the link. I got the same advice from Steve and Glen too for the dampener. Steve was also kind enough to send me a link to one on eBay yesterday. It should be delivered to the house on Monday.

I did pull the cross member out again a few times on Wednesday. I was still seeing signs of it rubbing the transmission. Each time I did some grinding, I would touch up the paint. Made it easy to see where it was rubbing. There is just a hint of the vibration left that I hope the dampner will get ride of.

Drive it to the Bash today in a Caravan with John Warley, Coupe Daddy, Steve and Glen Buzek, and Daze. It did great in the 60 to 85 range that we ran.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.