FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2024 8:06 PM  #1

Borgeson Pump vs Ford (67 w/289 PS)

I recently bought a 67 coupe with a 289/C4 that will see daily driver use for the next several months (except for really ugly weax days).  Factory power steering, pwr brakes & A/C.  Upgraded coil over front suspension (control freaks) and SSBC front discs.

The steering box is worn out and there are several leaks in the power steering system, so I'm going to replace the factory power steering set up with a borgeson set up.  One kit option includes the pump and one does not... indicating that you can use the factory ford pump.  Is there a significant functional, practical or performance differences between the pumps?

Last edited by cgomate (4/08/2024 8:07 PM)

4/09/2024 5:40 AM  #2

Re: Borgeson Pump vs Ford (67 w/289 PS)

I know no one wants to hear this, but Ford has never exactly been known for their power steering pumps.  The GM derived Saginaw pump by contrast was more or less the industry standard for decades.  In fact everything that wasn't a GM that was built by a company that didn't want to design their own pump (AMC, International, etc,) simply bought pumps from Saginaw.  Personally I would use the Saginaw pump.

What I will say is that the Borgesson mounting bracket for the pump is at best Mickey Mouse.  It flexes too much and causes noise and can allow one of the bolts to fail.  Engineer a better mounting system or you can run a Fox accessory drive with a serpentine belt and an adapter to mount the Saginaw pump in the Ford PS bracket (Wild Horses 4x4 has them).

Another thing worth noting is that the Borgesson lower column bearing is also at best Mickey Mouse.  Get the Mustang Steve one instead. 

4/09/2024 7:25 AM  #3

To simplify things and keeping out of the rabbit hole of headaches, my recommendation would be to send the whole entire original p/s to Dan Chock for a rebuild.
Dan is the Ford p/s guru and is renowned for in the classic Mustang world for his attention to detail and quality of his rebuilds.
He is very personable and will take the time to talk to you about your needs.
< chockostangclassicmustangs.com>

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/09/2024 8:38 AM  #4

Gotta disagree with you Rudi.  Dan builds a good system, but the Borgeson is just such a huge improvement and simplifies the car by eliminating six of eight hoses plus provides a better steering ratio, all for less money.
The Borgeson’s shortcoming is their mickey mouse pump mounting system.  I modified a 66 Ford bracket to provide proper support.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/09/2024 9:43 AM  #5

He has o/e ps now , there are parts down stream in the Borgeson set up that have to converted to manual configuration, Pitman arm included ,  which leads to more cost and complications.
It depends on the individuals skill levels on how much he wants to get involved.
If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty the EPAS out shines both no pump, no oil - no hoses, less under hood temps. etc.
Pick whatever spins your crank.😁

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/09/2024 12:29 PM  #6

What are the recommended mods for the borgeson mounting bracket?

4/09/2024 6:56 PM  #7

Yes, to each his own, but consider this: I've had a rebuilt '67 Ford PS pump, a control valve, and all the parts to convert my '67 from manual to power sitting on a shelf in my shop since about 1994.  My '67 has a Borgesson system in it.  If you're wondering why I would spend money on something I in essence already had; its pretty simple.  I drove a car that had factory PS and hated it so much that I decided I would simply live with the manual steering, and never installed the factory stuff.  20 years later when I decided to do some updates to the car the Borgesson was available.  Not at all sorry about that swap.  Maybe one day the Smithsonian will want that factory setup, because that's where it belongs IMO, next to the steam engine and the cotton gin. 

4/09/2024 7:06 PM  #8

I have to respectfully disagree with the fact that the Borgeson mounting bracket causes vibration and bolt breakage. I installed my Borgeson system in July of 2010 and I haven't had a single issue with the system. No vibration, noisy pump, leakage - zilch. That is reliable performance for almost 14 years.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/09/2024 7:39 PM  #9

It's looking like the Saginaw pump may not be an option after all.  The AC compressor sits directly above the PS pump and there doesn't appear to be enough room for it.  Even if it can squeeze in the space in place of the factory unit, the top cap would be practically impossible to get to once installed.

4/09/2024 9:03 PM  #10

Not my best design, but a bracket that adds a third mounting point to the borgeson two-bolt mount will avoid long term problems.  A pump mounted with only two bolts tends to make a “hinge point” about the line between the two bolts. Having a third mount eliminates any bending possibility of the two bolts.

4/09/2024 9:32 PM  #11

I can see what you are saying MS, and also that cgomate's situation has the AC compressor in the way. That bracket of yours would definitely add stability to the installation. Guess I'm lucky that mine hasn't failed yet.

4/09/2024 9:43 PM  #12

I think the saginaw brackets position the saginaw pump farther outboard. I am thinking it will clear the Ford type compressor.
I have a compressor and brackets that I could verify but am still recovering from back surgery and cannot lift more than about five pounds.

4/10/2024 6:02 AM  #13

Bracket looks good to me.  I think I'll do this in stages... I'm going to get the Borgeson "Upgrade" kit that uses the ford factory pump. Mine seems to be working properly (quiet and not leaking) so we'll see how it goes.

I'm still learning this car's quirks & personality.  If the factory pump becomes an issue, I'll upgrade it later.  

4/10/2024 6:05 AM  #14

It clears.  I have a factory AC compressor on my car.

Ron, some people may just be luckier than others on the bracket.  Mine failed.  There are a bunch of posts about failures on various forums.  Having messed with accessory drives on various makes and models over the years I can tell you no factory mounting system is anywhere near the way Borgesson mounts that pump, basically relying on bolts and spacers, which can flex with no triangulation.  Overall they build a great system, but the pump bracket and lower column bearing leave a lot to be desired. 

4/10/2024 6:38 AM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

Ron, some people may just be luckier than others on the bracket.  Mine failed.  There are a bunch of posts about failures on various forums.  Having messed with accessory drives on various makes and models over the years I can tell you no factory mounting system is anywhere near the way Borgesson mounts that pump, basically relying on bolts and spacers, which can flex with no triangulation.  Overall they build a great system, but the pump bracket and lower column bearing leave a lot to be desired. 

Like Ron, I’ve had my Borgeson pump installed since 2011 and haven’t had any issues.  I do understand the two-point vs. three-point mounting arrangement discussion and agree a three-point system would be ‘better’.  I’m going to pay closer attention to my setup in the future.   

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/10/2024 6:38 AM  #16

Let me dig up the picture of my 66 engine with the wild horses bracket for the saginaw pump AND a stock York compressor.    It all fit and there wasnt a problem with cap clearance.   I posted it here once long ago, but it's long gone.   Got to get my kids sd card reader...

I posted a picture of a second wild horses bracket on my 289 earlier this year. 

In my opinion, that is the way to go.   It is basically reproduction Bronco power steering brackets.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/10/2024 1:16 PM  #17

TKOPerformance wrote:

I am wondering about the bolt breakage issue and if what I did made a difference. The two spacers supplied with my kit from Borgeson were 2" and 1/2". I needed 3" of spacing for my pump to line up with my lower pulley. I had some 1" steel stock that I gave to a machinist at work to make me two 3" spacers. Since the supplied bolts were too short for a 3" spacer installation, I went to the local Ace Hardware store and bought two longer grade 8 bolts to install. Maybe the higher strength bolts make a difference.  I did have to make one modification after the initial install. At higher rpms, the belt would contact the water pump pulley, so I elongated the mounting holes to move the pump so that the belt would clear the pulley.

Last edited by Ron68 (4/10/2024 1:17 PM)

4/10/2024 3:53 PM  #18

Ron, the OD of your spacers would also play into the durability of the mount. The larger, the better. Plus, being of sufficient strength to not deform.

4/11/2024 6:36 AM  #19

Another thing worth noting is that I found the amount of assist the pump was set at the factory to provide to be excessive and made the handling twitchy.  I greatly reduced the assist with the kit from Borgesson.  I've wondered if that in any way adversely affected the pump load on the belt, causing more flex and eventual failure.  BUT, I still stand by a two point mount being Mickey Mouse.  On a Chevy you would loose one point of mounting if you installed headers (they loved to hang stuff off the exhaust manifold studs), and I would always engineer a replacement for that 3rd point.  Never had single issue.

4/11/2024 10:20 AM  #20

Too much assist from the factory pump might be an issue, but i'll see how it goes with the factory pump first. The planned use for this car is an easy 12 mile commute to & from work 3 or 4 times a week, so if i don't like how it feels, i'll opt for the saginaw pump set up.

Would a larger diameter pulley (under drive) on the factory pump be an option to reduce its output?

4/11/2024 10:50 AM  #21

I think Don is running his original Ford pump on his 66 GT with Borgeson box.  Maybe he will see this post and respond

4/11/2024 1:30 PM  #22

MS wrote:

I think Don is running his original Ford pump on his 66 GT with Borgeson box. Maybe he will see this post and respond

I had problems with the ford pump, seemed not enought pressure.  Put on the borgenson  recommended and runs fine.  The only issue was the mounting bracket hit top of fuel pump.  After modification all work good now.  

Last edited by Don (4/11/2024 1:30 PM)

4/12/2024 5:43 PM  #23

BobE wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Like Ron, I’ve had my Borgeson pump installed since 2011 and haven’t had any issues.  I do understand the two-point vs. three-point mounting arrangement discussion and agree a three-point system would be ‘better’.  I’m going to pay closer attention to my setup in the future.   

As I installed a Vintage A/C system a few years ago, the mounting for the PS pump was changed, and is now a three-point support, very solid.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/13/2024 4:17 PM  #24

I have the borg conversion on my 65 and everything fits and has worked fine for many years. Am i missing something here

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.