FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2024 6:01 AM  #1

Anyone have a pedestal head rocker to full rocker stud laying around?

I'm looking for a dual thread rocker stud.   Pedestal rocker base has 5/16 thread, and most older style rocker arms have a 3/8 or 7/16 fine thread.   There are companies that make this bolt/stud, but they are sold in sets of 16.   I was hoping someone might have one laying around.   Kind of surprised I found this is made, when converting a pedestal head to conventional rockers, nearly a 1/4" needs to be milled off, and if you are going that far, why not drill and tap the holes for a larger and stronger stud?   Anyways, here is what I'm thinking. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Spring-Compressor-Rocker-Alternative/dp/B09K768K3S/ref=asc_df_B09K768K3S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647188767054&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7449081154109878613&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022835&hvtargid=pla-1952074482230&psc=1&mcid=0924d5681612328db8bfa93d0c4ec495

I have one of these valve spring compressors to change valve springs on the engine.   It fits either 3/8 or 7/16 fine thread studs.   I want to use it to change springs on a pedestal base.  Those bolt threads are 5/16 coarse.   I thought about a thread reducer, so I could just use a threaded stud, then I found these. 

https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE260.1004/10002/-1?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6vr5xpG_hQMVoS3UAR3vMANyEAQYASABEgIqX_D_BwE

I want to see if this idea to use this will work to let this tool work on these years without buying or making an adapter.   So anyone have one of these unicorns laying around?

Edit: auto correct has been horrid lately...

Last edited by Greg B (4/13/2024 6:08 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/13/2024 6:09 AM  #2

Re: Anyone have a pedestal head rocker to full rocker stud laying around?

Why not just take a 5/16" fine thread thread bolt and weld a 3/8" bolt to the top of it (head to head)?  I doubt the alignment is even that critical for what you are doing.  If you wanted to be super fancy you could probably take a piece of 3/8" all thread and cut it to length, turn one end down to 5/16 and run it through a die, and then weld a nut to it in the middle.  I made a set of studs with 10mmx1.5 on one end and 10mmx1.25mm on the other years ago to run a different turbo on my WRX.  I just used unthreaded rod and the two correct dies.  All done in the bench vice.  Worked perfectly for half a decade until I swapped the turbo. 

4/13/2024 8:03 AM  #3

Your welder is your friend here

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2024 3:12 PM  #4

So, if I got this right, you just want a double stud to work with the valve spring compressor.  If you don't want to weld one up, send dims/specs to me and I'll make you one.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/13/2024 4:15 PM  #5

I figured I could make something, although I am not useful enough to cut threads with a mini lathe.  I'd have to do it the old fashioned way.   

I thought I'd ask here if someone had one of those unicorns on a set of junk heads.  You never know...  I'm surprised those are even made.   But it seemed the simplest of solutions in my brain. 

The base that would screw into the head is 5/16 - 14 course.   The top thread that would screw into the tool would be 7/16 - 20 fine.     The best length would be unknown to me atm.   I will pull out one of my E7 heads  and come up with an ideal measurement for length.

Hey, I even gave some thought to buying a set, then selling the other 15 on eBay as a Ford pedestal head valve spring removal "adapter" tool.

Last edited by Greg B (4/13/2024 4:19 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/13/2024 6:11 PM  #6

Greg B - the typical 5/16 coarse thread is 18 TPI; 5/16'-14 is an odd ball size.  Suggest you verify, note that it may be manufactured to a 'unique' thread size by a reason.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/13/2024 7:03 PM  #7

Yes 5/16- 18. That is my bad.    I'm gonna throw a head up on the workbench tommorow and pull a bolt and try to get a good measurement for the stud I want to create, or have created. 

The tool is also interchangeable, you can reverse the vertical bar and it screws on 3/8 rocker studs.  So, a few options. 

This is my forth valve spring compressor.   I have the really old craftsman that holds the valve from the bottom, I have a screw type one that I've used to change valve stem seals on I don't know how many Mitsubishi 3.0 engines, and another one I picked up somewhere I thought was dangerous and never used. This type seems like a really good idea.... I hope I can find my spark plug air pressure plug set.  Lol

4/14/2024 6:19 AM  #8

Peanut gallery comment - you can rent a valve spring compressor from OReilly's (and other chain stores also have them to rent).  I have used the OReilly unit and it works very well.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.