FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2024 6:13 AM  #1

A little more progress

Last weekend I shortened the rear axle 1” on each side.  I did this for two reasons.  One is to get a deeper dish rim and the other reason was to get a better axle length for engagement.  I bought new 31 spline axle shafts a year or two ago and they were a tad short when I checked them. Now I have a super straight housing and will have a deeper dish rear wheel.

I also got the front hubs installed, new bearings, races, seals and new studs.  The hubs are new from NPD and they appear to have a larger radius where the MS ring fits for the rotors. I had to provide a little clearance to the MS locating ring so it would not stick out past the rotor.  I also had to turn down the outer cast flange of the hub because it did not fit the machined part of the backside of the Cobra rotor. 

Not much progress and what little it is did take a lot of time.  But it’s progress.

My AC system has arrived and a lot of other parts.  So much stuff to put together but it’s better than doing bodywork.  Lol

upload pic

4/03/2024 2:38 PM  #2

Re: A little more progress

Nice. Did ya ever consider a floater rear axle?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/03/2024 6:27 PM  #3

Did ya have a 'fixture' to hold the axle housing straight or...skip welded and took-your-time ?!
You sure gonna have a nice Mustang......when ya finally get it finished !
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/04/2024 3:29 AM  #4

My builds usually follow a dream then whatever I can afford and or finding a good deal.  Like the axle shafts were $200 for brand new 31 splines.  But no I never considered a floating rear axle but have see a few for sale in my area.  Even the 9 inch housing I have was bought at a great price.

Yes, I have all tools to narrow a big or small bearing 9 inch housing.  When I checked my housing I found one side was not straight, it is now.  Lol

4/04/2024 8:24 AM  #5

Oh I get that build philosophy and use it when I can.

4/05/2024 5:40 AM  #6

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Nice. Did ya ever consider a floater rear axle?

A full floating rear is primarily used in applications where the rear has to carry a ton of weight (3/4 ton and above trucks).  Such rears are by their nature absurdly heavy.  My F250 has a 10.5" Sterling that's a full floater (axle shafts bolt to the hub flanges, vehicle weight is supported by the hub bearings).  The benefit is that the vehicle's weight is born by two big tapered roller bearings on each side instead of one ball bearing and the axle shaft.  If the axle shaft breaks you can't loose a wheel, and can still flat tow the vehicle (heck you might be able to still drive it on the front axle in a 4x4).  The ring gear and carrier in that rear weighs about 90lbs.  The rear hub to hub weighs like 350lbs.  Brutally strong?  Oh heck yeah.  I never broke mine with 1,000lbs/ft of torque in a vehicle weighing 8,000 lbs.  I've also had 3 tons of weight in the bed (per the dump scale) and towed some heavy trailers.  Nothing is indestructible, but its as close as it gets. 

In a car weighing 3,000 lbs, even making insane power a rear like that is still overkill to a level of insanity.  Now, the aftermarket may have full float kits for rears not originally sold as full floaters (I actually have one in my K5 Blazer built by Warn for the 10.5" 10-bolt), but the best use for these is for off roading (big tires, ridiculous torque via gear multiplication in low range, etc.) where you may need to extricate a broken vehicle in some backwater and even just being able to tow it with all 4 wheels still on the truck is hugely important.  A street car is probably never going to break an axle (especially a 31 spline one).  If you have rear discs you aren't going to lose a wheel even if it does.  A 31 spline 9" is going to be plenty for any street car application, and even a lot of race car applications.

Last edited by TKOPerformance (4/14/2024 11:30 AM)

4/05/2024 9:35 AM  #7

I agree with the full floating axle. I think the 9 inch floating axle is mostly a circle track application, I’m not sure?   But I have seen the FF 9 inch housings for sale.  Maybe off-road applications too?

4/05/2024 10:56 AM  #8

The standard bearing on early Mustangs ain't the best for side loads when cornering. I've never seen a floater on a drag car.

4/05/2024 5:44 PM  #9

The standard bearing on early Mustangs ain't the best for side loads when cornering. I've never seen a floater on a drag car.

Door cars use them.  My buddy had a 6 second certified  chassis he bought as a roller and it had a Mark Williams full floater with 40 spline gun drilled axles in it.  I think the rear alone was probably $10k,  He paid $3,500 for the entire chassis as a roller, dropped the 409SBC and PG out of his Nova in it and ran 8.90s at like 150MPH like mowing the lawn.  It was consistent enough to bracket race and win.  Then life, kids, etc.  Fun while it lasted. 

4/06/2024 3:50 PM  #10

Well I don’t plan on road racing my mustang and it will only see the drag strip maybe once or twice a year.   The only thing I would like to have done differently is use the BB early 9 inch housing I had.  Sadly I acquired it after I bought the disk brake brackets for the SB axle.   The car will see 99% street use.

Today’s progress wasn’t much but again it’s progress.  Painted the housing is the same Satin black as the engine bay and all the links for the axle were sprayed in gloss black. I also sprayed the dash trim and speaker grill in satin black. 

4/07/2024 8:17 AM  #11

RTM - progress looks great, as the saying goes; "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time".
A word of caution regarding painting the dash top gloss black, the sun's reflection can cause issues ... just saying. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/07/2024 8:57 AM  #12

BobE wrote:

RTM - progress looks great, as the saying goes; "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time".
A word of caution regarding painting the dash top gloss black, the sun's reflection can cause issues ... just saying. 

The dash trim and speaker cover are satin black like the engine bay, doors and dash.  The roll bar is the same satin black.   Only the SoT rear links are gloss black.

4/08/2024 7:36 AM  #13

RTM wrote:

BobE wrote:

The dash trim and speaker cover are satin black like the engine bay, doors and dash. The roll bar is the same satin black. Only the SoT rear links are gloss black.

My mistake, sorry about that.

4/14/2024 9:21 AM  #14

Got the rear axle bolted in and rechecked for the back spacing I’ll need for the 17x11 rim.  Looks like 6.5 BS will be a perfect fit.   I may go with 6.75 BS just to give myself some extra room and if needed I could use a 1/4 spacer. 

The fronts look like 4.5 will be good but the tire does hit the inner frame at full turn.  It does so with either 4 or 4.5 BS.  The rims I want don’t come with more than 3.5 for a 17x7.  If I go to 17x8 then I can get the 4.5.  I’ll look at this a few more times before I commit to a size. Just want to make sure I order right the first time.

4/14/2024 4:22 PM  #15

Started on the AC stuff.  Looks like I need to trim the lower flange of the radiator opening.  I’m installing the 70 mustang condenser to match the 24” radiator.  Also installed the water pump and the CVF setup.

4/15/2024 6:43 AM  #16

You're making great progress, when is it planned to be on the road? 

4/15/2024 8:32 AM  #17

RTM wrote:

Got the rear axle bolted in and rechecked for the back spacing I’ll need for the 17x11 rim.  Looks like 6.5 BS will be a perfect fit.   I may go with 6.75 BS just to give myself some extra room and if needed I could use a 1/4 spacer. 

The fronts look like 4.5 will be good but the tire does hit the inner frame at full turn.  It does so with either 4 or 4.5 BS.  The rims I want don’t come with more than 3.5 for a 17x7.  If I go to 17x8 then I can get the 4.5.  I’ll look at this a few more times before I commit to a size. Just want to make sure I order right the first time.

Have you moved the axle thru its travel limits to see if it clears the wheel opening lips?

4/15/2024 8:58 AM  #18

RTM wrote:

Have you moved the axle thru its travel limits to see if it clears the wheel opening lips?

Not yet but I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine.  The one picture makes it look closer than it is.

4/16/2024 6:28 AM  #19

Rear axle doesn’t just move straight up and down, so be sure your travel verification process includes the axle in a drastic “leaning” condition with one side down and one side up. Thet is where I developed a rub condition on the inner wheel housing.  BFH fixed it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/16/2024 6:42 AM  #20

MS wrote:

Rear axle doesn’t just move straight up and down, so be sure your travel verification process includes the axle in a drastic “leaning” condition with one side down and one side up. Thet is where I developed a rub condition on the inner wheel housing.  BFH fixed it.

Good point MS.  I’ll need to verify that as well as the front travel. With the room I have to tuck the 315 inboard, I shouldn’t hit anything.   I’ll get pictures of the travel testing and post them for future reference.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.