FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2024 9:08 AM  #26

Re: Distributor question

Cardone must use metric screws to hold points, so the little nib on Pertronix unit has to be file to fit hole, that wasn't hard to do, but then the magnetic collar that slips over the dist. cam is to big or the cam is to small, that's when i called the tech line and was told the kit wouldn't work on the aftermarket dist.

4/16/2024 3:48 PM  #27

And this is why we need to make stuff in America again.  I ran into this last week with a machine screw (or so it seemed) for a ceiling fan I was installing.  Seemed like a 10-32, but wasn't.  Wasn't a 10-24 either.  I also tried an M5x0.70 I believe.  Nope.  Some baystard Chinese thread, probably some metric size not commonly found like an M5x0.50 or something.  If it was made in the USA it would have been a 10-32, 10-24, or 1/4-20 and my problem resolved in a 5 minute trip to the hardware store.  No, instead it ended with a tap and die set and a lot of 4 letter words and disparaging comments about various administrations and the PRC. 

4/17/2024 5:42 AM  #28

Jim Bowie wrote:

Cardone must use metric screws to hold points, so the little nib on Pertronix unit has to be file to fit hole, that wasn't hard to do, but then the magnetic collar that slips over the dist. cam is to big or the cam is to small, that's when i called the tech line and was told the kit wouldn't work on the aftermarket dist.

Is the Cardone a remanufactured unit?  If it is it should have the same fasteners and configuration as the original, since it is a remanufactured original unit.  At least that's the case with the products of theirs that I've bought.  My Cardone distributors even have the original part numbers in the castings - I've bought the remanufactured Duraspark distributors for the 75 or 78 model years for my engines.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/17/2024 6:00 AM  #29

John Ha wrote:

Jim Bowie wrote:

Is the Cardone a remanufactured unit?  If it is it should have the same fasteners and configuration as the original, since it is a remanufactured original unit.  At least that's the case with the products of theirs that I've bought.  My Cardone distributors even have the original part numbers in the castings - I've bought the remanufactured Duraspark distributors for the 75 or 78 model years for my engines.

No, the Cardone was a new unit, I did see Remanufactured ones on Rock Auto, the problem though is Cardone was the one company doing it, I would think remanufacture would mean using the old original units and rebuilding them the same.

4/17/2024 7:08 AM  #30

TKOPerformance wrote:

And this is why we need to make stuff in America again.  I ran into this last week with a machine screw (or so it seemed) for a ceiling fan I was installing.  Seemed like a 10-32, but wasn't.  Wasn't a 10-24 either.  I also tried an M5x0.70 I believe.  Nope.  Some baystard Chinese thread, probably some metric size not commonly found like an M5x0.50 or something.  If it was made in the USA it would have been a 10-32, 10-24, or 1/4-20 and my problem resolved in a 5 minute trip to the hardware store.  No, instead it ended with a tap and die set and a lot of 4 letter words and disparaging comments about various administrations and the PRC. 

I've run into similar issues with "small hardware" that I couldn't find either standard or metric taps or dies that fit.  I did the same thing, tapped it to a tread I had screws that fit.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/17/2024 10:55 AM  #31

Jim Bowie wrote:

I would think remanufacture would mean using the old original units and rebuilding them the same.

OK, so that's what I'm saying.  The remanufactured ones, at least the ones I've bought through OReilly, Autozone and where-ever else, have all been OE units that were refurbished with whatever parts were required to restore them to "as new" condition.  The Duraspark distributors I bought for my 250 and for the 351 all have the original Ford castings with Ford part numbers in the castings.  Admittedly my experience is limited, but I've never encountered any issues with parts fitment; whether it's fasteners, rotors, caps or anything else.

Last edited by John Ha (4/17/2024 11:02 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/24/2024 5:58 AM  #32

Update on Distributor, found a remanufactured one with no core charge, it was done by the Cardone company, same as the new one I purchased but didn't work out. This one is actually an old Autolite one, C8TF 12127. The Pertronix fits right in, and it has the cast iron gear. They were out of stock almost every where I was looking except for Walmart, go figure. Well one more thing off the list, should be ready to fire it up and break it in, in the next couple of weeks.

4/24/2024 11:23 AM  #33

That's good to hear. It's crazy what Wally carries and has access to.

Last edited by RPM, aka Bearing Bob (4/27/2024 9:11 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/25/2024 2:43 PM  #34

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

That's good to hear. It's crazy what Wally carries or has access to.

AKA Bakersfield Bob - Just read this week about Wally and other big brands trying to compete with Amazon. So yes, Wally, FedEx and of course eBay. I'm thinking that's a good thing. Unfortunately, loved/hated Amazon is focused on heading off any legit competition. So much so  that they have created companies including one they named Big River. It's an arm of Amazon that surreptitiously gathers competitive evidence. DuckDuckGo it. Real deal. 

Last edited by RCodePaul (4/25/2024 2:45 PM)

1969 SCJ Mach1 Acapulco Blue/Black - Ram Air - 4 speed - 3.91 1965 C Code Fastback 422W C4 9in

4/26/2024 5:09 AM  #35

Its kind of crazy to see this stuff play out in modern times, especially given we live in a time after the Sherman Antitrust Act became law.  I feel like eventually Amazon is going to run afoul of that though, as happened with Microsoft.

4/27/2024 7:29 PM  #36

That is an understatement RPM.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.