FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2024 7:17 AM  #1

22 Gallon Tank Upgrade or anyone that has recently did a tank

Or anyone that has did a recent tank replacement please share where you got your tank and other items and quality there are so many different brands and sellers the prices are all over the place.

Was thinking about the 22 gallon tank its a little more pricey if you have to buy the modified filler neck CJ pony sells them around 100 bucks. I was talking with Steve and he made a good point if I wasnt doing a lot of trips the 16 gallon was fine cause you would more than likely keep fresher gas in it.
On another note Gas jumped about 20 cents here in Ga the last few days.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/21/2024 9:50 AM  #2

Re: 22 Gallon Tank Upgrade or anyone that has recently did a tank

I used a Spectra Premium (Canada) EFI tank from Rock Auto.
Spectra has non EFI tanks as well.

Only problem I had was the silicone rubber sending unit gasket leaked by on initial fill…overnight a small amount leaked.

Aviation Form a Gasket fixed it…6 years now.

Might want to check with Kentucky Mustang or NPD for tank kits that may save you some money too.

Prior to the 22 gallon EFI tank, I had converted to a 22 gallon tank from John’s Mustang.
Don’t know what brand tank it was, it did have the flat circle on the top of tank.
As I recall, I shortened my stock filler neck a tad to use a stock length filler hose in ‘70 tank kit.

Neither sending unit were dead nuts accurate.
I’m okay with it as my butt or copilot needs a break (400+ miles) before the 22 gallon tank does.

4/21/2024 10:20 AM  #3

The 22 gallon tank has been in my car for about 17 years. It takes up a little trunk space and I remember having to work the rubber filler hose, but no issues. I like having the extra fuel capacity when driving, it allows me to choose my fuel stops instead of being forced into a fuel stop.

4/21/2024 2:13 PM  #4

I ordered my tank from Tanks inc. Fair price and a little mod with the neck and it has been in for a couple years now

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

4/22/2024 2:00 PM  #5

I also have  a Spectra 22-gal tank that I installed last year when changing to an EFI system.  I also purchased via RockAuto. 
I purchased the modified filler neck from CJ Pony and found the 'indexing' for my 1965 gas filler cap was off by about 3/8" when tightened.  This cap is a repro unit that I purchased over 20 years ago and is fit the 16-gallon tank's OEM filler neck w/o issues. 
When tightened the cap it was at about the 5 o'clock portion to vertical.  I couldn't tighten the cap any more to make it fit properly.  CJ Pony did replace the filler neck, but this replacement was the same as the first (not a surprise).  I ended up grinding (with a die grinder) the tang on the filler neck until the cap fit correctly.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.