FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2024 6:46 AM  #1

Taillight Bezels

Out of curiosity,  I'm wondering if anyone has ever painted the two black areas (as shown in the picture below) the same color as their car. My car is a light blue and I wondered how it would look?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/23/2024 7:43 AM  #2

Re: Taillight Bezels

You could place blue painter’s tape and paint it (off the car) to see what it would look like.

If you don’t like, easy enough to remove tape.

4/23/2024 12:32 PM  #3

I did this on my 68, just to be a little different! 
The 67 has the exact same bezel but had all chrome and no paint, the 68 had black highlights.
A bit of attention to detail does make things stand out from the masses.a bit more.
 Mostly goes unnoticed by the uninitiated but  apparently  not by us enthusiasts . . .  so i'm told.

Last edited by Rudi (4/23/2024 1:01 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/23/2024 2:13 PM  #4

NOS681 - Great idea! I will give this a try.

Rudi - You are probably right, but as you say it's the small details that make it your own.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/24/2024 6:41 AM  #5

Rudi - subtle "enhancements" (without going overboard) give these cars a nice personal touch.  The few that recognize these details usually appreciate the effort.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/24/2024 7:06 AM  #6

Well... I used a photo editor on my computer and came up with these. It's roughly done and in reality masking tape will be used to avoid painting over chrome. I'm not sure what to think...

4/24/2024 7:11 AM  #7

Not a fan

4/24/2024 8:57 AM  #8

Toploader wrote:

Well... I used a photo editor on my computer and came up with these. It's roughly done and in reality masking tape will be used to avoid painting over chrome. I'm not sure what to think...

I think you'd get a better idea of how it looks by taking a photo from farther away.  You could put the blue tape on before taking the photo or edit the photo to add the blue.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/24/2024 10:45 AM  #9

I think its OK but really the whole housing should be painted (mono style) to make it stand out and I dont think anyone will do that

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/24/2024 8:44 PM  #10

Hard to beat chrome and black.  My vote is for the way it is.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/25/2024 6:41 AM  #11

For me the black adds just enough contrast with the chrome and body color.   I like the black.   If the theme of the car was something else then maybe body color.

4/25/2024 7:52 AM  #12

I like the black contrast to the chrome, but I agree with taking a picture from further away would give a better perspective. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/25/2024 9:20 AM  #13

Hard NO

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.