FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2024 10:54 AM  #1

call me paranoid

I mite be a bit paranoid and I love my cars. But in todays world cars dissapear and car alarms just dont do much. I have an alarm but even with the starter kill fature It seams it is more just a door lock / unlocker. I have my own design auto off kill switch system added to my electric fuel pump and at least they cant start the car. but Im more affead of it being taken. So I opted to add a GPS tracker to the car, its about $100 a year and that I can sleep with. It will tell you on your phone/PC if the power is cut or if you jar the car some like maybe steeling the wheels. It has a programible GeoFence so if it leaves the circle you get a notafacation. Nice for hotel parking lots, thats really why I got it.  And it shows the track of where it is going with GPS. And it has a built in battery so you could still have an hour or so if they did pull the battery. Plus I can unplug it and plug it into my C10 for those road trips too. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/27/2024 12:01 PM  #2

Re: call me paranoid

I would like info on the GPS tracker I have a air tag and it aint really that good.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/27/2024 2:14 PM  #3

Cool, first i bought a PAJ-GPS but sent it back in 24 hrs because it was junk and they have no service support. I found this one on Amazon (you can buy from there web too) and before I bought it I looked them up on the web and called there number. A human awensered. That was my selling point, we talked a bit and he said they try to pick up anytime day or night and same with Emails. I said thanks and bought it on Amazon and had it the next morring. Its in the car now after I tested it in my office first with a 12v power supply.  It works great. here is the info and web address
Optimustracker.com  ,    I bought the Amazon one GB100MG because it had very good reviews and it is hard wired. They sent the new upgrade one.  GB130MG  $40. for the tracker and I did the 4 month service for $70. Note to self, turn of alerts while installing or it will drive your phone nuts. I had a couple questions and they responed to me by Email in about 5 minutes both times. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/27/2024 10:40 PM  #4

I am by no means an expert in this, but from the little I do know, I am of the understanding that those GPS trackers can be blocked and rendered useless.
It seems that there is no real foolproof method for making the cars un-stealable.
I think the best we can do is have some obstacles to slow down the potential thieves, with the hope they move on to an easier target.
If someone wants your car bad enough, they will take it. Even a flat bed truck or a repo truck can just come along and haul it off.
On mine, I have a couple of anti-theft measures and that's about it. The rest is up to insurance.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/28/2024 4:58 AM  #5

I’m able to complete disable my distributor via my phone.  Progressive Distributors.   I’m also able to adjust my timing curve via my phone.

4/28/2024 5:41 AM  #6

There's nothing you can do to eliminate the possibility of theft.  All you can do is make your vehicle a harder target.  The thing is, as much as we love our classics, and despite that Nick Cage film, truth is cars like ours are a pariah for car thieves.  Auto theft is typically done with the interest of either chopping the car up for parts, or legitimizing the car for resale (several ways they do this).  A classic is worthless for parts, and scrutinized WAY too closely to try and legitimize.  The cars thieves typically go after are the most popular makes and models of cars built within the last 10 years, because the parts market is extremely strong.  I mean, sure, there's always the concern about some punk on a joyride, but just having a car that's stick is probably the best deterrent you can have to this current generation. 

4/28/2024 5:16 PM  #7

An aftermarket alarm is next to useless on a classic Mustang. It really takes less than 60 seconds to steal the car even with a generic aftermarket alarm. You can watch a video by Uncle Tony's Garage that shows how it is done, and see ways to combat the problems here:
https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/kill-switches-and-protecting-your-car.1200826/#post-10632345

4/28/2024 6:52 PM  #8

A serious thief will have the car hooked up and towed in about thirty seconds and will not worry about starting the engine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/29/2024 6:44 AM  #9

I agree with the posts of both TKO and MS. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/29/2024 6:42 PM  #10

Maybe............. a remote controlled detonator attached to the gas tank !
(they may steal it butt........possibly the LAST car the little crook will hot wire one.)
BLOO-EEEE!!  Think Wiley Coyote.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/29/2024 7:10 PM  #11

It is kinda cool to show up at chop shop with a rifle jus sayin

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/29/2024 7:44 PM  #12

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

It is kinda cool to show up at chop shop with a rifle jus sayin

Just don't put any holes in the sheet metal, everything/everybody else is OKAY!

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

4/29/2024 8:46 PM  #13

Yeah... Like I said in my previous post, if a someone wants your car bad enough they will take it.
GPS trackers can be blocked, trucks can haul them off and I've even heard of some type of "skimming" where they copy the code to unlock and operate cars (later models).
I try not to obsess over it. I have an immobilizer and another physical lock (steering or pedals). That's about the best I can do and the rest is up to insurance. Hopefully the deterrents are enough to slow them down and they move on, but we will see.
Don't let the chance of theft get in the way of you taking it places...

Who here is worried enough about theft, that it stops them taking their classic places?

Last edited by Toploader (4/29/2024 8:47 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/30/2024 8:41 PM  #14

If your hood is easy to open, then start putting your thoughts into slowing that down.
... and yes, I've heard the arguments about quick access for a fire.  So keep that in mind as well.  I think you should reduce the risk of fire as much as you can by verifying the health of your wiring and of your fuel system.  This will make unauthorized access the most likely thing to be protected against.  Then secure your hood somehow.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

5/01/2024 7:10 AM  #15

Years ago I would install a switch that would ground the ignition points.  The engine would crank but wouldn't start.  I figured any thieve would (hopefully) get frustrated and leave.  I'm not sure how this may impact new electronic ignition systems.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/01/2024 9:55 AM  #16

Sure, ya gotta do the basics like insure it, lock it, yada yada. But we all know if someone wants to steal it, they will. Hell, they steal entire race car rigs, and cars from big shows, so...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/02/2024 8:44 AM  #17

Years ago, I seen something on TV where they were interviewing an ex- car thief. He said they would steal a car and strip it. Put the stripped car back on the street. The thieves would buy the stripped car at auction cheap, then put it back together.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/03/2024 5:09 AM  #18

wsinsle wrote:

Years ago, I seen something on TV where they were interviewing an ex- car thief. He said they would steal a car and strip it. Put the stripped car back on the street. The thieves would buy the stripped car at auction cheap, then put it back together.

Yes, its one of the ways they legitimize a stolen car for resale.  Take enough parts off it so its considered totaled by the insurance company, then wait for the insurance auction, but it, put the parts back on it, and sell it.  The only downside is it may end up with a salvage title, but in most states there are ways around that if you know the system well enough.

The other trick is buy a wreck with a clean title and swap the VIN for a stolen car's.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.