FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2024 3:08 PM  #1

Explorer caliper E brakes

Hey Guys,

Having a hard time with the explorer E brakes to work on my son's 68 Mustang. He has new drums and parts for the calipers E brakes.   He has fox body E handle.  Seems like there's play in the E brake system on the calipers.  Had had adjusted so the pads are slightly rubbing the rotors.   Seems like the lever on the caliper wiil pull halfway before it starts to engage the shoes.  Are we missing something.  Were using cable clamps to tighten the cables together.  We even preloaded the lever a bit and tightened the cable clamps and it still didn't work very well.  

Thanks for the help!
Steve69

5/03/2024 7:50 AM  #2

Re: Explorer caliper E brakes

Not sure this will help but I usually pull the parking brake handle like 5 'clicks', or so, for the shoes to hold the drum while I try to turn it by hand.  Then release the brake handle all the way and verify the drums turn freely.  This way I felt when I pull the brake handle fully it will hold the car on a hill.  Then I verified that it will hold on a hill, which it usually would.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/06/2024 7:48 AM  #3

BobE wrote:

Not sure this will help but I usually pull the parking brake handle like 5 'clicks', or so, for the shoes to hold the drum while I try to turn it by hand.  Then release the brake handle all the way and verify the drums turn freely.  This way I felt when I pull the brake handle fully it will hold the car on a hill.  Then I verified that it will hold on a hill, which it usually would.  

Thanks!

5/06/2024 9:27 PM  #4

Is there an adjustment on the park shoe?

5/07/2024 6:08 AM  #5

I went through similar issues with our's, Steve.  96 Explorer rear in the Heap, all new brake stuff.  First, I adjusted the shoes just like I used to adjust drum brakes...tighten the shoes until the rotor is locked then back off five or six clicks.  But I still had a poor park brake even with the cables tight.  I'm using the stock park pull lever but I added a couple of inches to the cable lever under the car.  that gave the system a lot more leverage.  Still no joy.
Last year I tightened the cables more, and then more, and finally, even more.  Now I have a decent park brake with no drag when released.  It seems that system just needs to have that lever moved quite a ways before it actually moves the shoes.   Crappy system IMO.  If I ever get the energy I'll swap to the Mustang rears which use the service pads for park function and work very well, I'm told.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/08/2024 7:54 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

I went through similar issues with our's, Steve.  96 Explorer rear in the Heap, all new brake stuff.  First, I adjusted the shoes just like I used to adjust drum brakes...tighten the shoes until the rotor is locked then back off five or six clicks.  But I still had a poor park brake even with the cables tight.  I'm using the stock park pull lever but I added a couple of inches to the cable lever under the car.  that gave the system a lot more leverage.  Still no joy.
Last year I tightened the cables more, and then more, and finally, even more.  Now I have a decent park brake with no drag when released.  It seems that system just needs to have that lever moved quite a ways before it actually moves the shoes.   Crappy system IMO.  If I ever get the energy I'll swap to the Mustang rears which use the service pads for park function and work very well, I'm told.

I was thinking the same thing Bob being a crappy system.  If you had to use them in a emergency I dont know if they would stop you.   Ill try some of your tips and hopefully makes it better.   I have the MS brackets and 2019 Mustang rotors and calipers on my 69 rear.  My E brakes work really well.    Thanks for the info!   Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.