FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2024 2:09 PM  #1

65 Convertible - Padding that goes under the boot cover on each side

I need a source or a template to make a set of foam rubber pads to go under the boot when it is installed to cushion the boot from the sharp edges of the top frame and latches on each side. Also to pad the rear ends of beauty queens sitting there during parades...
Has anyone make a set? My boot has no padding. I did an internet search and not finding much there.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/04/2024 5:35 AM  #2

Re: 65 Convertible - Padding that goes under the boot cover on each side

I measured one of the ones I bought long ago (both sides are the same).  It's a piece of 1/2" thick foam that's 21-1/2 inches long, 12" wide at one end and 11-1/4" wide at the other end.  The narrower end is formed in a "U" shape and stitched to another piece of foam that's 3-1/2" high and 5" wide.  There's some kind of fabric or paper on the top where the boot will rest.  I don't know exactly why it's there but it wasn't attached well. 

I don't see why it couldn't be 12" wide at each end - the extra would hang over and help keep it in place.

I'm attaching some photos that will hopefully help you.

Feel free to ask if you need more information.

Last edited by John Ha (5/04/2024 5:42 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

5/04/2024 5:37 AM  #3

Forgot the photos 

5/04/2024 2:17 PM  #4

Thanks very much, John! I will look into getting some foam and building some. I wonder if foam thicker than 1/2" would be better, or is the 1/2" sufficient to do the job?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/04/2024 2:37 PM  #5

You're welcome.

On mine, the boot is really tight on the ends where the foam covers the ends of the frame, and I doubt I'd get all of the snaps to snap if the foam was thicker.  Yours may be different.  I can say that the 1/2" thickness seems completely adequate to protect the boot.  I don't know if it would hold up well to someone sitting on it though.  If that's in your plans a heavy, flexible plastic sheet inside the foam might be needed to keep the pointy parts of the top frame from poking through the foam.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.