FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2013 9:23 PM  #1

more problems related to my lowering project

Since I lowered my 65 when I take off hard or shift hard it feels like the rear of the car is twisting sideways.  I guess what i would think is axle wrapping??  anyway it feels like the rearend is loose and is turning a bit causing the rear of the car to feel like its dog tracking.  I have checked everything on the rearaxle.
I talked to a local gearhead and he says when I lowered the car it changed the pinion angle and this is causing the problem i have described.  Does this sound probable?  if so how do i correct this?  he said i needed to shim the axle at the springs to change this angle.  In my head i would think the front of the rearxale needs to come down so I would shim the rear of the spring plate which would pitch the pinion angle down??
any thoughts on this and any info you can share??

I put 1 1/2" blocks in under the axle to lower it!!  yet another reason to put it back the way it was!!

4/29/2013 9:31 PM  #2

Re: more problems related to my lowering project

What was the final result of the too low front end?
Been a bunch of chatter on here about pinion angle checking. I do know they sell a wedge kit of sorts that go between the spring plate and the leaves.
MS has become an expert on pinion angle trying to fix his mid RPM viberation.
He can help!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/30/2013 5:56 AM  #3

Seems to me that a 1-1/2" lowering block berween the spring and axle could be acting as a lever, allowing your pinion to climb the gear under acceleration, commonly called axle wrap.
That could be occurring regardless of your pinion angle.
IOW, it may still occur after changing the pinion angle because of the lowering blocks.
just my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by darren (4/30/2013 5:58 AM)

4/30/2013 8:22 AM  #4

darren wrote:

Seems to me that a 1-1/2" lowering block berween the spring and axle could be acting as a lever, allowing your pinion to climb the gear under acceleration, commonly called axle wrap.
That could be occurring regardless of your pinion angle.
IOW, it may still occur after changing the pinion angle because of the lowering blocks.
just my thoughts on the subject.

Makes sense.  If that's the problem a set of Traction Masters should solve it.

4/30/2013 11:28 AM  #5

Pinion angles can cause a multitude of sins, but I cannot see how it would make the car go to one side or the other.  The axle wrap-up theory, due to the lever arm of the lowering block is a good theory, but I think it is more likely the blocks are a little bit "off", with one side of the axle positioned a little ahead of the other.  This can happen if the indexing bolt on the spring does not index tight into the hole in the block, and if the pin in the block does not index into the hole in the axle perch.  There are two tolerances per each side that can add up.  Try loosening the u-bolts and moving the rear slightly/  If the car launches to the right, that would make the left side of the axle farther back than the right side.  With the u-bolts loose, use a BFH and "reposition" the axle, maybe even moving both sides as required.

A bad spring bushing  can also cause this problem.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2013 1:21 PM  #6

Agree with Steve, Also Are these old springs? and or you could be missing ah spring strap

It's hard to type "funny"

4/30/2013 3:41 PM  #7

After you check the alignment of the rear look at rerplacing the rubber bushings. I think mine are toast too after 40+ years. Mine does it too. Could me "massive horse power" going to the rear end!! How about tire pressure?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/01/2013 8:55 AM  #8

I agree with what has been said about the springs and spring bushings.  I would give both a throe inspection.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.