FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2015 8:54 PM  #51

Re: Trunk mount solenoid, PMGR Starter, and EFI

Reviving an old thread.

I'm laying out the wires for a 5.0 swap and battery relocation.  Originally I had planned to follow James' diagram, because the idea of not having a hot 1/0 wire all the time seemed like a good one.
If I understand the pictures correctly, the 1/0 wire travels from the Trunk Solenoid's Start lug to the front side of the front solenoid, where the starter, alternator, fan, and lights are also connected, e.g. the postive hot side.  The goal fo the wire of only hot on start.
However, the alternator is also connected to the same lug.  So isn't the wire hot when the car is running because the alternator is feeding it, thus negating the benefit of having it switched in the first place?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the To Battery indicator in the picture.
Thanks.

2/14/2015 9:20 PM  #52

To be clear, the 1-0 wire connects to the output side (RH) of the solenoid, and goes to the large lug on the mini-starter. There are no other wires connected at either end.  The alternator and other power sources pin to the input side (LH) of the solenoid.

2/14/2015 9:53 PM  #53

Thanks James,
Your description is how I read the diagram, but when I looked at the pictures, I guess I got confused since I saw the To Battery on the input side of your front solenoid and the only matching wire I saw on the back solenoid picture looked to be the output wire used for the starter.  The red wire that states To Battery looks much larger than 8 guage in the pic and I don't see a corresponding pic from the rear view.
Did you run two large guage wires back to front, one for the starter and one for the fan, lights, etc.?
If I'm interpretting your drawing correctly and want to duplicate your hard work, I need to run a 1/0 from back solenoid output to starter, a 4g from back solenoid input to front solenoid input and an 8g from back solenoid input to under dash efi power block.  If the alternator already connects to the input side of the front solenoid, what does the separate 8g wire do?
Is the picture showing the To Starter on the input side of the front Solenoid old?
Randy

2/14/2015 10:30 PM  #54

Do you meant the one labled 'From (the) Battery"?...  The left 'big red' connects to the battery, the right 'big red' connects to the starter.  The wire marked 'from alternator' is actually pointing to a fuseable link.  The wire feeding the fuse link is an 8G wire and isn't shown...it's a couple of inches upstream.

There is only one wire coming off the output, or energized post of the solenoid.   That one goes to the starter large post. Here you can see the only one 1-0 output wire going downward

Here's a few other pictures I didn't post before - but may help clarify.  Rather than run all the front end powered items such as fan, lights, etc from the  the back, I came off the alternator (through a megafuse) to a power port... or a 'post' and connected the constant 12V items.

Here you can see the megafuse between the alternator and power port, along with the relays for the Fan, Horn, and  Starter.  the relays for headlights are behind the headlightbucket.  All these relays get their 12V constant from the powerport.

In the first photo listing the wire connections, the fourth (white) wire labled 'to interior fusebox' is an 8g wire that runs from here up underdash and powers the EFI relay setup.  This wire feeds a separate fusebox shown here:

Last edited by JamesW (2/14/2015 11:21 PM)

2/14/2015 10:54 PM  #55

Thanks James,
I think my issue was that I was looking at the below picture, which likely is from your initial install, before you modified things to remove the constant hot.  Now that I see you've eliminated the front solenoid it makes more sense.  I saw it mentioned in one of the other threads on the mini starter & trunk battery pages.  Trying to match that with your rear image is what was making me think the wire listed as to battery would always be hot when the engine is running.  Now I believe I have it.

2/14/2015 11:23 PM  #56

Gotcha...that photo was before...correct.

2/15/2015 5:37 AM  #57

I probaly have what most would call an over kill with my rear battery set up ,But here it is ran three I think 2 gauge cables front to back one main power one starter and one ground ,Ground is probaly not needed but it is there and split and tied to body in rear of car.I use a painless soleniod that is made to stay on that supplies power to car,It has a toggle switch in car that controls it I need to flip that switch or the car is dead ,I use a mega fuse on that circuit ,The starter is not fused could figure how to protect that feed due to current draw of starter but it does use a solenoid in the back so it is only active when switch is in start position.The only other fuse is on the altenator and also on all control  wiring that I ran for the coils on solenoids as stated this most likely over kill but I feel that it is safe and if you hide the toggle switch car is harder to start.

If its worth doing do it right !

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.