FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2015 10:31 PM  #1

Speaking of EFI

With all this EFI and wiring talk I thought I'd share my current progress on my other project. It's not my Mustang, but I will be installing the same setup. Although the wiring will be much simpler!

This is on my Lightning, I am installing a Megasquirt EFI setup along with their new Microsquirt trans controller since the truck has an E4OD. But I did not want to hack up the stock wiring harness, I wanted to be able to go back stock if I ever get tired of the hotrod motor. Now I just plug in the aftermarket EFI to the stock harness and *most* of the wiring is done. I do have to add wires since the truck was batch fire and I am going to sequential and COP, but that part is all standalone and can be removed easily.

Sooooo

I've seen some of the aftermarket guys adapt the stock harness on Mustangs to other EFI setups so I thought I'd do the same.

1st I planned out a circuit board to route the EEC-IV connector over to the Mega/Micro-squirt set up.

Then I had a small run of boards made

I used a heat gun to detach the EEC-IV 60 pin connector from an old computer and soldered it to the adapter board. Here it is test fitted in a case.

Soldered the other connectors to the board and built the Megasquirt engine side harness using a DB-25 on the PCB end and a Metripack GT-280 16 pin connector on the other.

Finished Product Still have to build the trans harness, but I do not have the Microsquirt yet.

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/08/2015 10:31 PM)

4/09/2015 4:23 AM  #2

Re: Speaking of EFI

Nice clean set up. Where did you get your boards made?

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/09/2015 5:15 AM  #3

Very nice work, Raymond.  I was all excited about Megasquirt maybe 15 years ago and did a bunch of reading but never got into itl.  In the begining you bought the parts and built your own but I guess those days are gone. 

Just curious, why was it better for you to go to the MS instead of running the EEC-IV and a Quarterhorse, etc.?  You said, "Hot Rod" engine...major?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/09/2015 10:00 AM  #4

Very nice work! Takes me back 25-30 years when I used to make my own circuit boards. I'm guessing that these days you use a circuit board design program and email the design to a circuit board maker to execute?

4/09/2015 11:54 AM  #5

Isn't your system already sequential?  So on the engine side you will still use a factory style harness/connector for all the existing sensors, and then run a separate harness for the coils?  Will you just use the stock distributor/pip signal or will you swap that out too?

The quarterhorse is the device that connects to the j3 connector and allows you to datalog/tune the eec-iv?  Was that a one-time purchase or is it quarterhorse + software + wideband o2 + features + more features?  What do you think of that system?

I have spent the last week learning as much as I can about how the current system works, pretty steep learning curve.  Aftermarket seems like a sizeable investment to then find out what the next upsell is to make it all work right.  Open source don't make economic sense when you factor in the time, but could bring other rewards.

I am playing with an arduino and want a lot of information the eec already has so I can provide status/alerts without having to add a bunch of gauges or keep a laptop plugged in.  For example by monitoring an injector pulse you can estimate mpg, or tapping the vss for more accurate epas control.

4/09/2015 12:15 PM  #6

Thanks all.

wsinsle/Hornman: I used FreePCB and Free Autorouter and then submitted the Gerbers to http://www.pcbcart.com/ China I know Sadly the quickest and one of the most recommended low quantity (not quality!)  PCB manufacturers.

BB: You can still order several different versions of the MS in kit form and assemble it all yourself. I ordered the completed MS3/3X simply because it was on sale and I had a discount code! My project is a 1995 Ford Lightning. These came factory speed density (a VERY mod unfriendly setup), batch fire, and the biggest kicker is a computer controller trans, E4OD. I could spend a pile of money swapping the engine over to MAF with a Msutang kit, but then I'd have to spend more money setting up a stand alone trans controller or running two PCMs. One for the engine and one for the trans. The Megasquirt (engine) and Microsquirt (trans) can be connected via CAN and will talk to each other. So in the software it's basically one unit. I've been messing with Ford computer tuning for a very long time. Way back when there was an EEC-IV mailing list hosted by Tom Cloud I used to sell both EEC-Tuners, then later TwEECers and finally became an SCT dealer. I am tired of working around the factory programming, I wanted something straight forward and I feel the Megasquirt has matured to that point. I also feel that for the money it cannot be beat. The truck has a 410w, Novi 2000 blower, TFS 11R 205 heads, 160lb injectors, LS2 coil near plug, Explorer cam (no distributor) and crank sensors, etc, etc. It will be running on E85, but with a flex fuel sensor so timing and fueling can change should I find myself needing standard fuel or some mix in between (like summer or winter blends).

afnid: At first the factory setups seem to be cheaper with aftermarket tuning support. And in a lot of cases they are, but I would argue the more mods that are done to the vehicle an aftermarket EFI starts to be a better value. Like anything it always depends. I have never used the QH stuff, they came on to the scene when I was on my way out, but their prices can add up by the time you buy the hardware and software.

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/09/2015 12:15 PM)

4/09/2015 4:54 PM  #7

Sounds like you have just a couple mods there!  Surprised the lightning ran speed density, sounds like svo was behind the production side.  I have had a document compiled by Tom Cloud open on my desktop for the last few days.

You sound like the guy to ask, could you state the pros/cons of sequential vs semi-sequential or tell me where to find an answer?  I understand the multiple pulses per cycle, but haven't found a clear list of the benefits of each.

4/09/2015 5:44 PM  #8

It's funny, the first generation Lightning (93-95) was SVT in badges only. It was the truck group that came up with the idea. A long while back one of the engineers used to be on my Lightning mailing list and the early days of the National Lightning Owner's Club forum. He had so much good information, but always bristled at how the SVT folks swooped in and took over the idea after is was all planned out

Anyway, I'm not sure I am the most informed person on therory of engine operation, but I can tell you *my* reasoning for sequential over batch fire. In the Megasquirt full sequential uses cam and crank sensors for very precise engine timing and fueling. To me that equates to better idle and part throttle manners, especially on a heavily modified vehicle. Wide open throttle it's probably debatable as far as max power, but street manners are what every tuner chases after no matter what you use (carb or FI). Unless you are just tuning race cars.

If you are building everything from scratch and getting your feet wet with EFI I would go simple, heck maybe even fuel only at first. Then move up. A microsquirt can be had brand new for under 400.00 shipped. There's a lot of guys that hook it up to an old EFI throttle body and go. Then later on you can add ignition control using the same Microsquirt. When you start adding on more and more bells and whistles that's when you move up to a more complicated setup.

I'd check out this stuff;

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/

and then download the free version of Tuner Studio. Keep in mind it's daunting at first, but just play, read the tooltips, and get used to it.

http://www.tunerstudio.com/

4/09/2015 5:55 PM  #9

160 lb. Injectors!!! Holy cow. I'd love to put a blower on my 93. 5.0 in the 65, but the Fox style power adders seem so primitive with fuel management.

4/09/2015 10:09 PM  #10

Yeah I am running that large of an injector for E85 and future growth

An FMU and boost timing retard can be very effective on a relatively stock Mustang with a blower. Not perfect by any means, but they'll get the job done.

10/25/2015 4:31 AM  #11

Is there anyway I can get a copy of your circuit board? It looks like you have done a great job with interfacing it with megasquirt. I have a microsquirt and a speeduino I'd like to hookup to my 302.

10/25/2015 2:35 PM  #12

MAN!!! I've said it before.........and will say it again..................."we got some smart folks on this board"!
Waaaaayy over my head!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/25/2015 2:36 PM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

Very nice work, Raymond.  I was all excited about Megasquirt maybe 15 years ago and did a bunch of reading but never got into itl.  In the begining you bought the parts and built your own but I guess those days are gone. 

Just curious, why was it better for you to go to the MS instead of running the EEC-IV and a Quarterhorse, etc.?  You said, "Hot Rod" engine...major?

BB

Whoa, whoa, whoa there BB-boy......that avatar......thou should seeketh thee permission, me thinketh, before using.....

10/25/2015 3:25 PM  #14

josh-kebob wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

Whoa, whoa, whoa there BB-boy......that avatar......thou should seeketh thee permission, me thinketh, before using.....

HaHa....I thought it was great!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/25/2015 7:41 PM  #15

jydog wrote:

Is there anyway I can get a copy of your circuit board? It looks like you have done a great job with interfacing it with megasquirt. I have a microsquirt and a speeduino I'd like to hookup to my 302.

I can, but it is based on the Lightning PCM pinout. Which computer are you running?

10/26/2015 4:19 AM  #16

Raymond_B wrote:

jydog wrote:

I can, but it is based on the Lightning PCM pinout. Which computer are you running?

I am running a speeduino ecm 
speeduino.com

I mainly need the layouts for the connectors. Anyone you would like to share with me would be appreciated especially the one with the amp connector. I can make the changes that would be needed. 

The link below is my project.
speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=210

I am currently running a a9p computer.

Sorry the links are not hyperlinked I have not posted enough on this board for this to work.

10/26/2015 1:43 PM  #17

No problem, shoot me your email and I can get you some information. To be clear you're interested in the EEC-IV 60 pin connector size and spacing and the AMP connector right?

10/26/2015 3:09 PM  #18

Raymond_B wrote:

No problem, shoot me your email and I can get you some information. To be clear you're interested in the EEC-IV 60 pin connector size and spacing and the AMP connector right?

Yes please. I might have to change it to a 40 pin ribbon cable but that would be great!

I will PM my email. 

Last edited by jydog (10/27/2015 6:07 AM)

10/29/2015 8:18 AM  #19

Im making some progress and this is why I need it. Email sent. Thanks

10/29/2015 9:29 AM  #20

Awesome, I haven't forgot about ya, just have to find my files Be sure to clean as much solder off those pins as possible, the desoldered 60 pin connector can be kind of cranky lining back up.

10/29/2015 10:03 AM  #21

Raymond_B wrote:

Awesome, I haven't forgot about ya, just have to find my files Be sure to clean as much solder off those pins as possible, the desoldered 60 pin connector can be kind of cranky lining back up.

Ok, do you still recommend FreePCB for prototyping a board? Have you used Fritzing?

11/02/2015 2:14 PM  #22

Any luck finding your files?

11/03/2015 4:40 PM  #23

Email sent

11/03/2015 5:07 PM  #24

Thanks Raymond, I really appreciate this. I've been trying to create an adapter but this stuff is really beyond what I am used to. Let me know if I can help you out someday.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.