FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2015 11:02 PM  #1

65 shock tower mod

atleast a year ago there was a member doing a 65 shock tower mod kinda like i was going to do and was wondering if he finished and i missed it ?  getting ready for mine so anybody thats done this for the 351W swap please post your pictures incase there is a better mod idea than what i'm going to do!   thanks,  Jim

5/22/2015 7:21 AM  #2

Re: 65 shock tower mod

You mean this?  Shown is my coplanar shock tower marking device.  Once marked, I trimmed the humps and filled the holes with flat plate.  Somewhere I have pics of it doen on the car, but they are not to be found right now.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/24/2015 11:46 PM  #3

good idea i like it but it was not you steve....man i can't remember the guy but he was doing more like what i was going to do with a twist! i'll post a pic soon

5/26/2015 6:04 AM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

You mean this?  Shown is my coplanar shock tower marking device.  Once marked, I trimmed the humps and filled the holes with flat plate.  Somewhere I have pics of it doen on the car, but they are not to be found right now.

If you do this mod, do you have reasonable access to the plugs on a 351W?

5/26/2015 6:55 AM  #5

PLug access on a 351W is not bad even without doing this mod.  Removing the humos helps out a whole bunch with getting to the upper control arm bolts, though.  It gives your wrench some swing room.  Header choice makes all the difference.  While the long tube Hedmans I used to have on the 351W were great headers, they made access to #7 & #8 spark plug nearly impossible.  Not to mention the header bolts themselves.

With my new JBA headers, access to plugs is easy.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/26/2015 7:25 AM  #6

Thanks, I've been toying with the idea of putting a 351 into my 64.5 vert, but didn't want to cut the shock towers on the off chance that someone- after I'm dead and buried- may want to restore the car back to original specs. 

Do the JBA headers give you enough room to get at everything without doing this mod to the shock tower?  Any interference with your cable clutch (which I need to order soon by the way)?

Thanks.

5/26/2015 5:31 PM  #7

Chaplin wrote:

but didn't want to cut the shock towers on the off chance that someone- after I'm dead and buried- may want to restore the car back to original specs.

The mod is so slight.....unless "someone" is shooting for a concourse correct Mustang...I doubt it would even be noticed. Soooo get out the "gas-hatchet"!!

Thanks.

Last edited by 6sally6 (5/26/2015 5:32 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/27/2015 9:41 PM  #8

Is this the post you're thinking of?

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=7149#p7149

(Pinto!)

5/27/2015 9:58 PM  #9

I've been meaning to ask you guys, and maybe I already have, but my memory is bad. Back in the mid 80's I had a 66 coupe. The pass side shock tower cracked vertically in one of the humps. I took it to a chassis guy and he notched the shock towers. It was pretty drastic compared to what has been pictured. Man I wish I had pictures, but sadly I do not. I do remember him fashioning a flat plate where the control arm bolts came through and he mentioned moving the lower control arm out 1 inch. I compared the engine bay with my friend's 1969 Mustang and they were almost identical. Something like 28" shock tower to shock tower I **think**. After it was done I put the 289 back in and had it aligned. I definitely remember the alignment guy saying it was one of the easiest he'd done. No problems at all. Not long afterwards I blew the 289 up and put together a 460. Using 1969 Mustang 460 swap mounts it went right in, I never had headers on it, and ended up selling the car but I was going to use the ones for the 69 460 since everything looked the same.

Forgetting the the 460 stuff (I was only a 1/4 mi guy back then) what do you guys think the implications were in moving the lower control arms out? I assume the lowers went out because the uppers did too? What issues might someone run in to long term? I do not remember any issues driving it, but again all I cared about was the Green Valley drag strip I wish I had pictures and/or a better memory!

Last edited by Raymond_B (5/27/2015 9:59 PM)

5/28/2015 8:13 AM  #10

At the very least, I think moving the UCA and LCA out an inch  would seriously induce or compound bump-steer.  It might also cause some tire/fender interference issues.  Assuming the UCA/LCA relationship remained correct, it shouldn't affect caster/camber but tire wear, handling, and steering feel would be impacted due to the goofy akerman angle..I think.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/28/2015 8:18 AM  #11

I actually put some thought into this a while back, but haven't attempted it remove the stock 65/66 spring towers and install 67/68 towers 460's and 427's and Merlin"s(not really) should drop right in use 67/68 suspension components. 

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

5/28/2015 8:29 AM  #12

BB, keeping in context that I wasn't at all interested in going around corners I did drive the car every day back then. I didn't have front runners, but I am pretty sure the front wheels were 15x6 but I can't remember the tire. So I bet you're right tire clearance might be an issue with something larger. As far as bump steer and tire wear, to be honest the car never drove better on the street and highway. And at the track it hooked and went dead straight.

I do remember people talking about swapping in later model shock towers, but I just told the guy to notch it when I had it done.

Last edited by Raymond_B (5/28/2015 8:30 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.