FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2016 11:03 PM  #1

Drilling holes for panel re-alignment?

So I've FINALLY got all of the 65 stripped, all panels as well aligned as I can, body work done (at least what I can before priming and blocking), and now I'm ready to prime.  I'm going to dissemble the car and paint the doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid, and valences separetely from the body.  I'm thinking of drilling 1/8" holes thru the hood and trunk hinges for re-alignment.  I've read about doing the same to the door hinges, but am not sure where to do it, or even if that will work w/ Mustang hinges.  I've also read about using a thin punch to instead knock a few dimples around the hinges.  Anyone have any advice?  What about the fenders?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

2/17/2016 7:32 AM  #2

Re: Drilling holes for panel re-alignment?

Drilling positioning holes is very helpful but not a perfect solution...I drill the fenders , hood hinges,trunk hinges,and Leave the door hinges on the body,even better on the last build i left the doors on the body....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/17/2016 8:20 AM  #3

I drilled everything with 1/8" holes when I did Cara's 65 coupe, because the car had perfectly aligned stuff on it before I took it apart.
On reassembly, I used 1/8" cotter pins in the holes and everything went back together without having to align anything. The loop in the end of the cotter pin makes it easy to pull them out.
Once the pins are pulled, dab some seam sealer in the holes and paint.

To drill the door hinges, first remove the fender.  Then you can easily drill the holes. 

Last edited by MS (2/17/2016 2:18 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/21/2016 9:05 AM  #4

MS wrote:

I drilled everything with 1/8" holes when I did Cara's 65 coupe, because the car had perfectly aligned stuff on it before I took it apart.
On reassembly, I used 1/8" cotter pins in the holes and everything went back together without having to align anything. The loop in the end of the cotter pin makes it easy to pull them out.
Once the pins are pulled, dab some seam sealer in the holes and paint.

To drill the door hinges, first remove the fender.  Then you can easily drill the holes. 

I drilled the door hinges on the body.  Did you also drill them on the door?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.