FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2016 7:18 PM  #1

5.0 flywheel?

I know this simple question, but just need to make sure?  94' mustang 5.0 going into 65 w/ carb and V-belts.  I have dist. Gear, fuel eccentric, pan, 50 oz. harmonic w/ universal bolt holes, timing cover for dipstick.  I tried searching threads but flywheel not mentioned for a C4 Trany?

Do I need a the flywheel for C4 or AOD?  I have c4 in the car.

1/24/2016 7:36 PM  #2

Re: 5.0 flywheel?

You will need a 157 tooth flexplate with the 50 oz imbalance. I did the same basic swap in my 66.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

1/24/2016 8:57 PM  #3

zakdaddy99 wrote:

You will need a 157 tooth flexplate with the 50 oz imbalance. I did the same basic swap in my 66.

ditto!  conversion flexplates are available on Jegs and Summit.

1/25/2016 8:15 AM  #4

Thanks guys, I'm glad I asked.

1/25/2016 10:28 AM  #5

Ozblitz wrote:

Thanks guys, I'm glad I asked.

Wish I had asked way back when. Got mine all assembled, fired up and then wondered, why is this shaking so much?

Learned after the fact about different imbalance weights. Ended up taking it out again to change to the proper 50 oz flex plate. Perfect after that. Don't forget to seal the bolt threads so you don't get oil seeping out.

2/01/2016 10:57 AM  #6

Would blue loctite on threads seal ok? Or are you meaning a different type of thread sealer, like teflon?

3/25/2017 3:56 PM  #7

Revived question.
Regarding separator plate or divider plate. Between flywheel and block.  I purchased a TCI flywheel 157 tooth 50 oz.  but, I am having issues w/ divider plate.  I installed eng. And had a AOD divider plate so it didn't line up with starter.  It also looked like balance weight on flywheel was going to grind?  So, out come tranny. Then I used the divider plate that was on the 289/c4.  Holes seem to line up w/ starter but, counter weight on flywheel still looks like it's going to grind.  What am I missing?  Is their a special divider plate for 5.0/ c4 set up?

3/25/2017 7:17 PM  #8

I used the spacer plate from my original 289/c4 when i went to the 5.0/c4 with a 157 tooth/50oz flexplate. There were no clearance issues. The AOD plate, as you found out, moves the starter further out because it uses a bigger flexplate. 

Last edited by zakdaddy99 (3/25/2017 7:18 PM)

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

3/25/2017 7:54 PM  #9

I think I may have read what the problem might be??  I bolted the bell housing to motor then tried to line up flexplate withe studs.
I now read I should line up converter to flex plate 1st, then mate bell to motor.  That may be where I'm going wrong??
Can someone confirm, if flexplate/ converter gets lined up before bell to motor??

3/25/2017 8:40 PM  #10

Well, it kind of all happens at the same time.  I get the trans lined up but not seated and turn the engine or torque converter so the flexplate holes line up.  Then seat the trans and get a bolt or two holding the bell/trans to the block.  Then put the TC nuts on.

You talk about the counter weight on the flexplate "grinding" on the block plate.  I had this problem on the original assembly of our car but didn't know it.  When I took the car completely apart for the metal/paint work I found big groves in the aluminum block plate.  I bought a new steel block plate when I put it all back together and so far there is no interference.  I think the aluminum block plate warped for whatever reason.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/26/2017 7:58 AM  #11

Thanks BB for info. But , I know I didn't line up the studs to the flexplate, so I'm thinking thats creating the tight rubbing w/ flex and divider plate.   If I pull the trans back (3rd time) and line up the TC studs w/ flex then I may have more room on that counter weight issue.

Last night in the middle of my sleep another brain fart came to light.  I realized this 5.0 came with a 5spd so, the eng. Has a roller bearing on the end of the crank on back of the motor.  I do need to pull that bearing out too right?  Otherwise it's Gonna fall out while I'm driving?

Before I had these Mustangs I had Pontiacs, so this issue doesn't happen on a Poncho.  Not sure if you saw the Goat at the Tomball bash?

Last edited by Ozblitz (3/26/2017 8:01 AM)

3/26/2017 8:52 AM  #12

Ozblitz wrote:

Last night in the middle of my sleep another brain fart came to light. I realized this 5.0 came with a 5spd so, the eng. Has a roller bearing on the end of the crank on back of the motor. I do need to pull that bearing out too right? Otherwise it's Gonna fall out while I'm driving?

I think you need to remove the pilot bearing anyway.  IIRC, the TC has a "snout" that goes into that space at the back of the crank.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/26/2017 9:22 AM  #13

Thanks BB, maybe 3rd time's a charm.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.