FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2017 11:00 AM  #1

Floor Board Dimmer switch location?

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO Swap, T5z - Complete rewire in process.

Does anyone have a good diagram or original picture of the floor board dimmer switch (high beam) location?  Where it was previously installed seems really high compared to the few pictures I found.  It was installed almost at the bottom of the firewall where the floor plan and the firewall me.  That doesn't look right.

​Also, what's the orientation of the connector?  I saw 2 pictures showing it aligned vertially and another 2 showing it installed horizontally.

thank you

4/23/2017 1:58 PM  #2

Re: Floor Board Dimmer switch location?

When your "clutch-foot" is resting comfortable on the floorboard......it's a couple inches above there!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/23/2017 5:35 PM  #3

I just mounted mine where it made sense.  I'm thinking Ford may have had a guideline back in the day, but most times these things have been moved around over the years as floorpans were replaced, etc.  Knowing what's "correct" is probably an impossibility at this point, and its also possible that it was placed differently with the plug oriented differently depending on which plant it came from and consequently which guy on the line was installing it. 

4/23/2017 9:06 PM  #4

I just measured my unmolested, originally mounted, 1966 assembled high beam switch location...
it looks like the CENTER of the switch was placed exactly 9 inches from where the floor pan curves up to the firewall.  The OUTSIDE part of the switch, toward the pedals, measurement from the kick panel is two (2) inches.  The connector is oriented toward the kick panel, wires pointing "up" toward the dash. 

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/24/2017 2:32 PM  #5

Why don't you just put it where the hole in the carpeting is?

4/24/2017 9:45 PM  #6

This is my stock location which is well above the angle at the floor.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/25/2017 6:55 AM  #7

Pete M wrote:

Why don't you just put it where the hole in the carpeting is?

FTW!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/25/2017 10:08 PM  #8

When I replaced the carpet in my '68 coupe, it came with the hole for the dimmer already punched.  Luckily, my dimmer was exactly where the hole in the carpet was.  Actually, I never considered that it might have been moved.

Bottom line, the stock location for the dimmer will probably be expected if or when you replace the carpet.  Something to consider.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.