FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2017 8:12 PM  #1

New 65 GT; keep stock or modify?

I recently bought my 65 GT Fastback from the original owner.  It's completely stock and almost survivor quality.  The brakes, steering and suspension are very tired and worn.  
So, my question is should I replace them with stock original OR will it hurt the value if I modify it with Cobra brakes, Borgeson steering box, Shelby upper control arm drop?
(It is a real factory GT 2+2, auto, power steering, disk brakes, A/C, pony interior with zero rust)

Last edited by perryGT40 (4/09/2017 8:13 PM)

-Your actions will always follow your beliefs.-

4/09/2017 8:18 PM  #2

Re: New 65 GT; keep stock or modify?

4/09/2017 8:22 PM  #3

That one should be kept concours!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/09/2017 8:52 PM  #4

Yeah........I hate to say it butt....keep it concourse.
I'm big on "soup'in um'up...cam'im up... let it whip"..hot rods butt this one sounds like a real find!
You found that lil' jewel in South Georgia?!!
Welcome to the board BTW!!!
Got'ney pictures?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/09/2017 9:18 PM  #5

That's a nice car.
If you are thinking about upgrades that can be bolted on, I say go for it. You can alway put it back like Ford made it. Store the important parts in the attic for the time being.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/09/2017 9:48 PM  #6

I have a '65 plain jane convertible that I bought in 1980. I did install front disc brakes but have otherwise tried to keep it stock. I have made a few additions that could have been ordered on the car in its day, but otherwise I have resisted temptations to make other improvements.
Any changes that I have made are reversible.  This is all where I feel the greatest, long term value lies.

Last edited by boomyal (4/09/2017 9:54 PM)

4/09/2017 9:59 PM  #7

thanks, 
Yes, I found this near Atlanta, Georgia.  The original owner bought it in July of '65 after he came back from the Korean war.  He parked it in his hangar next to his plane.  He's 87 and only sold it to buy his wife a new car.
Even though the seats and paint are old i'm gonna drive it just like it is, after installing new brakes and rebuilding the power steering valve.  Its definitely not a show car but it's mostly original.  I even found a stack of gas receipts, dated with the mileage written on them up thru the 1980's.  

4/09/2017 10:24 PM  #8

Thing is, the old worn out stuff makes it a bear to drive.  I would go ahead and rebuild the suspension and brakes.  I would do whatever you want to improve performance, so long as its bolt on parts.  That way you can always return it to stock easily.  The Shelby drop makes a BIG difference in handling, but on this car I'd opt out.  Truthfully, with an automatic its more of a cruiser anyway, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be safe and comfortable. 

The other option is flip it.  Sell it for a profit at auction and buy something else you can modify to your heart's content. 

4/10/2017 5:02 AM  #9

As far as taking parts off and modifying it but that "you can always return it to stock" trust me it will never happen. I have a truck load of parts I took off my 68 that will never see the road again on my car.
 Replace what needs to be with original spec components. You have a very special find there freind, keep it the way Ford meant it to be.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/10/2017 6:51 AM  #10

Nice looking car, I would keep it a survivor with exception of upgraded dual circuit brakes. That way I would drive it anywhere..

4/10/2017 7:00 AM  #11

You would only return it to stock if you were going to sell it and look to get maximum money for it.  So if you're going to keep it forever just do whatever you want.  In the end its your car.  Rare?  Sure, kind of.  I mean let's not get carried away.  Its rarity is in the fact that it hasn't been molested, wrecked, rusted, etc.  If it was say a regular restored car with everything else the same it would be considered nice, but not nearly as holy.  Its not like its an unrestored survivor '68 GT500KR convertible or a Boss 429.  Say it had an I6 instead of a V8, would there still be a call to arms to stop converting it to a V8? 

In my opinion if you own a car, but don't have it the way you really want it out of fear of devaluing it there's no point in owning it.  My problem is that stock, for me, is simply never satisfying.  I don't hold it against those for whom it is; I just know myself well enough to know that nothing in my house gets left alone.  If I came into a car like this at a reasonable price I would certainly buy it, and probably cruise it a bit, but in the end I'd sell it at a profit to finance the projects about which I'm truly passionate.  But that's a decision each of us has to make. 

4/10/2017 9:03 AM  #12

I think it is way too nice of a car to mess up. Restore with stock replacements parts. I drove my NEW 68 GT from coast to coast many times.. That was with points and 3-4000 miles tune ups required. Car was just fine. You are not going to win any drag races but you have a NON replaceable part of auto history

4/10/2017 1:26 PM  #13

Wow, great find. I wouldn't touch the paint. Those tail lights though...

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/10/2017 4:24 PM  #14

Thanks for the advice guys.  Yes, I'll keep it stock since i'll probably sell it when I find my 67 convertible.
The tail lights are different aren't they?  The dealer put those on, along with a running horse hood ornament.  But the tail lights are starting to grow on me.  

4/10/2017 5:02 PM  #15

You NEED to drive it down to Panama City/Fort Walton Beach this fall!! I'd love to "enjoy-it" with you in person.
Last year(at the MS Birthday Bash) we "enjoyed" an untouched  67-427  Shelby. Totally original.
We don't see many original paint/original interior Mustangs.
6sally6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/10/2017 5:27 PM  #16

perryGT40 wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys.  Yes, I'll keep it stock since i'll probably sell it when I find my 67 convertible.
The tail lights are different aren't they?  The dealer put those on, along with a running horse hood ornament.  But the tail lights are starting to grow on me.  

I've never seen those tail light lenses, or the running horse, and I'm betting they are a really rare dealer installed item from the day.  I hate 'em...but I wouldn't touch 'em on that car.

Great find.  And please, dial it in a bit and bring it to the Bash in Oct.  It...and you will will steal the show.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/10/2017 5:29 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/10/2017 5:32 PM  #17

I have a 66 factory GT 4 speed, pony interior ,  The numbers built are really low with all these option.  I added a 5 speed, ac, power steering, 3,55 rear.  Made the car a lot more fun on long bash trips,  Only thing about the mods is I kinda wish I kept the old parts (sold them).   

4/10/2017 8:59 PM  #18

IMHO I would leave it. How many original GT's are out there vs after market GT's. But who am I to talk? As I wore the parts out I changed them with what I wanted it to have. Nobody thought my car had any value but me. I took my car to concours shows and it always won 3rd place. Now it wins no place but the crowd is a lot friendlier.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/11/2017 4:24 AM  #19

Exactly.  When I restored my '67 in the mid '90s you put them back to stock.  I remember seeing modified cars in magazines and thinking what an idiot that guy was.  The problem is that stock the car isn't very usable in the modern world where people drive 80MPH on the interstate.  I remember when it was done I thought it was a rocket ship, but I was a naive teenager.  Having since driven and owned vehicles that are significantly faster and handle better the bar's been raised.  I found myself at a crossroads: make some changes or continue to let the car sit unused.  I'm glad I decided to make the changes, because now I drive the car a lot more than I used to. 

4/11/2017 10:06 AM  #20

If you bring it to the Bash, you just might find your future buyer

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/11/2017 10:42 AM  #21

thanks guys, the bash sounds like fun!

5/23/2017 10:18 PM  #22

Very nice find.  Make it safe, comfortable and reliable then leave it alone!

5/24/2017 7:19 AM  #23

Perry, what a nice find! When I restored my 67 coupes front end I installed 620 springs that were 1" lower than stock springs,1"front sway bar,just a gas shocks,215 70 14 tires,everything else new. It handles very good for a 50 year old
car. New gt leaf springs in the back. You might want to consider this option,still pretty stock,but improved handling.
The choice is yours,some say their only original once,some like to restore them to their former glory (if not better).
What ever direction you go,I'm sure you will be happy. what a great unmolested car.  mustang stu

5/28/2017 5:56 AM  #24

Great survivor!  Can you post a picture of the running horse hood ornament?  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.