FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2017 1:07 PM  #1

Could fingernail polish substitute for rim touch up paint?

Just had a set of oddball rims powder coated at a local refinishing shop. Nicely done. One of the drivers in my household just got up against a curb somewhere and it has a little rash. There are a gazillion variations of silver paint, but none in small quantities. But you know what does come in a lot of variants in tiny quantities? Fingernail polish. Am I setting myself up to regret putting one of these products dotted in on my rim? Is there a more perfect source for small quantities of silver stuff?

Lance

10/29/2017 1:28 PM  #2

Re: Could fingernail polish substitute for rim touch up paint?

Will it work?  Sure, fingernail polish is an enamel.  Its single stage though, and not terribly durable.

What you could try is get a local paint shop to mix you up a silver base and give you some small quantities of black and white as well.  Then you can blend it yourself until you get a perfect match.  It can be time consuming, but done right you can make an invisible repair.  FWIW, I've used this technique to fill chips in oddball color tubs while remodeling bathrooms.  Once I build it up above the surface I block it down with fine grit paper and buff it just like a paint repair on a car body.  The end result is essentially invisible. 

Another option is to have a body shop use the color gun on the rims and make you up a small quantity of paint to match in single stage. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (10/30/2017 5:12 AM)

10/29/2017 5:52 PM  #3

It's absolutely astonishing how many colors of nail polish there are. I've used it for touch up since the sixties. It is amazingly durable. Although I've got to say I've gotten some strange looks from the cosmetics sales staff at Maceys when I'm standing there with a part of my car looking for a match.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/29/2017 6:27 PM  #4

Worst case, you grab a buck’s worth of fingernail polish remover and wipe it off and reapply.  Why not try it?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/30/2017 7:04 PM  #5

I've used nail polish to touch up several cars, and I don't have to leave the house to find it! Between my wife and daughter there is every color and shade known to woman within reach.

10/30/2017 8:04 PM  #6

I used an off-white finger nail polish in the recessed size marks on some impact sockets to make them easier to see.  Seems to work just fine.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/13/2017 3:58 PM  #7

I put a good scratch in the door of my DD 2 winters ago when I was running the snowblower too close to the car.  (Won’t do that again! )  I put some clear nail polish on the scratch and it has held up perfectly with no rust at all. I should probably re-apply before this winter!

11/18/2017 10:24 PM  #8

Inspired by this thread, I used a black Sharpie marker to “fix” the three black wheels on my Shelby that got curbed on the bash trip.  Can’t see the bright aluminum scratches in the black any more.

Can’t wait for the new chromed wheels to get here...  Have I mentioned I hate black wheels?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2017 7:47 PM  #9

I think we should bring back "White walls" to give all these black wheels guys some style cause black wheels with black tires are just ...................nothing!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.