FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2018 1:44 PM  #1

Gravel driveway incline?

So I may be building a new homestead.  We need to get quotes on the driveway to factor into our budget and land offer.  The potential parcel has lots of hills, so the question is:

Do any of you have experience with, or a good feeling of, the maximum incline a mustang can handle going SLOWLY up a gravel driveway?  My parent's place has a steep one that I know my mustang would just spin and throw rocks on.  Hell, a front-wheel drive sedan barely makes it.  

I don't want to come rolling in on move day and find out I need to rip out and regrade the driveway.  Or that I could have moved the garage location a little to the left and saved enough money to buy a second project car to fill the extra bay.   Thoughts?  The ride is up in the paint shop right now, so just taking it out looking for steep drives to try out is not quite practical.  

3/22/2018 4:57 PM  #2

Re: Gravel driveway incline?

How long of a driveway are you talking about?  I would think about this long and hard.  In my experience no mater how carefully you drive gravel equals stone chips somewhere on the car.  Gravel also requires a fair amount of maintenance.  I washes out in heavy rains, it gets torn up plowing snow (if it snows there), and just traffic over time moves the gravel all over.  It needs to be continuously regraded and fresh gravel added every couple of years.  You ether have to own a tractor that can do that, or pay someone to do it.  Over the long haul asphalt won't need that maintenance and is likely actually cheaper.  The tough part is finding a decent paver.  They're all about gypsies in my experience.  If you graded it well and put down some heavy stone, then did a 4" layer of BCBC (base course binder course) and a 2" wearing course that driveway would last essentially forever with regular residential traffic.  Just be sure to get the finished paving even with the surrounding grade so when the earth is returned to the sides it locks the paving in. 

3/22/2018 6:18 PM  #3

Yeah, we're probably going to quote it both ways since the grading could put the gravel on par with the asphalt.  Plus chips in my nice new paint job...

In my experience with my last house, asphalt is lower maintenance but not no maintenance.  So there is some cost there, albeit less than gravel.  We're also needing to do some financial engineering and weighing of upfront costs of everything else we want to do, versus costs later down the line.  Essentially, the way the income streams, construction loan sizes, and budgets are working out, we have a finite amount to do the project with.  So $10k now takes directly away from the house or garage.  Whereas higher maintenance fees of several $k throughout the following years is a slightly different account.

We're in  North Carolina, so snow is not much concern.  The lot is wooded, so leaves are the bigger hassle.

Driveway might be approx. 700' - 900'.  So the total cost difference between the two surfaces shakes out to be a pretty large number.    

3/22/2018 6:36 PM  #4

But the house is just a bedroom with a bathroom, laundry closet, and kitchen attached to a 12 car garage, right?

Joking aside, yeah, that's a big number.  You're probably looking at $4-$5 per square foot for asphalt.  BUT, the driveway is likely one of those things you won't do later.  There will always be a reason why, and it will end up being an annoyance that you hate, but live with.  Adding stuff to a house later seems to be more likely and easier.

From a construction standpoint there's savings in building vertically on a smaller footprint.  Having a basement that can be finished later is a great way to build in some room to grow.  Typical basement finishing costs are in the $35-$50/square foot range vs. an addition which is going to be more like $100.  Another option is to build in a future upper floor by using attic trusses and planning on adding some dormers to get another bedroom, office, etc.

Anyway, this is what I do for a living, so if you want to ask any questions or run anything by me feel free. 

3/22/2018 7:58 PM  #5

I suppose it all depends on how your particular Mustang is equipped...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/22/2018 8:10 PM  #6

I have asphalt, hate,hate,hate it and so do my creepers.

3/22/2018 9:46 PM  #7

How bout....See-Mint?!! I understand money-wise it and A$$-Fault is about equal in price!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/22/2018 9:47 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/22/2018 10:26 PM  #8

I wouldn't really consider gravel an option over a 10% grade.

3/23/2018 7:02 AM  #9

I have gravel at my shop across town and it is a fairly low grade less than 4 %. My biggest problem with it is the water washing it down the hill. I had the road department regrade the shoulder at the top and that helped a lot, but still the water washes the fines down the hill and I have to redistribute every so often. I can't imagine what 10% would be like. I don't have any problem getting up it even in the Mustang or Corvette but keeping it looking decent is a chore.

3/23/2018 7:13 AM  #10

Its a constant headache.  My neighbor has an access to his house off my driveway that is gravel.  My driveway is low and his house sits atop a hill, so the drive is quite steep.  There's is perpetually gravel on my driveway from it washing down the hill.  The drive is constantly rutted too, making going up it hard in anything other than a 4WD.  I don't -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have- about it because my neighbor's a good guy who does a lot for me and my kids, and most times if it bothers me enough I just sweep it or shovel it off so there isn't gravel and dirt there.  Its not his primary drive either, just an access.  I can only imagine if it was his primary he'd be out there weekly maintaining it. 

3/23/2018 9:48 AM  #11

Ha!  If that was my rig I'd wouldn't be worrying about much.  

TKO - thanks for the tidbits and info.  I may take you up on that offer to run some things by you if I get into a quandary or get suspicious of something.  And definitely going to look into 3 floors as opposed to 2.  Right now the plan is to try and make some areas easily expandable, like the workshop (although don't worry - there will be a workshop.  We are contractually obligated to have one due to an agreement with our architect.  Of course I won't put up much of a fight about that - "No, honey, see we HAVE to have space for a separate painting and varnishing area.  It's in the contract.  Just like the welding hood.").  I have seen some techniques in Africa and Central America where they leave a few feet or rebar sticking out of the top floor so they can add on later on.  Not quite the extent we were looking at, but maybe leave a junction box and duct work to be easily tapped into at the outside wall. Similar with the bedroom side of the house so we can change what might initially be a 2-bedroom into a 4-bedroom.  Anything else structural akin to the rebar sticking out that will make life easier when it comes time? Like maybe some different way to finish off the joists or other structural tie-ins on the outside wall that would be expanded upon?

Good thoughts and observations by all on this.  Nice to have.  My parents' drive is 12 deg. and is barely workable without 4WD.  So maybe around 5 deg, max from that and what others have said.  I'd love to just go asphalt, but the cost difference could easily be $20k.....  A bit Appalachian, but maybe we could look into doing asphalt for the more problem sections that you all have flagged like steeper hills and area prone to washout.  Not ideal, but if it saves $10k that could otherwise be put into the house or filling up that new workshop space... 

(don't take that as a dig against hill folk, my parents live in the foothills and I have respect for them.  It's more of a comment on how they can find creative ways to extend their budget and prioritize and those ways don't always come out to be fit for the front of Homes and Gardens but work just great)

3/23/2018 2:33 PM  #12

Look into tar and chip. Its cheaper than ashphalt and will give you better traction up hill than cement or ashphalt.
 The base for T&C is less fussy as well. It'l last about ten years or so depending on the usage.
 If your particular county uses this in their road work contact their contractor, they just might do it for you.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/23/2018 2:42 PM  #13

Definitely run any plumbing, electric, or ductwork to areas for future expansion.  If the HVAC is too far from the unit a stand alone mini split system (Mitsubishi, etc.) is an option.  They are super efficient.  BUT, they will add about $3,500 to the cost of that future addition. 

Also definitely think through the structural elements.  If you're adding space in the attic, be sure the bottom chord of the trusses are rated for use as a floor.  Its an easy conversation with the truss designer, and its not going to add much in terms of cost now, but it will save a lot of cost down the road.  Typically you will see the bottom chord go from a 2x4 to a 2x6 or 2x8 to properly carry a floor load.  Thinking through future access to that space is also wise.  Spiral staircases are small in footprint, but really hard to move things up.  Setting it up so you can stack another staircase atop the 1st to 2nd floor staircase is a great way to do it. 

If its a basement where you can finish it later make sure the HVAC guys route the ductwork as tight to the joists as possible, and make sure the electric and plumbing is run through the joists instead of fastened to the bottom so you can fasten drywall directly to the underside of the joists without having to fur down or move a bunch of stuff.  I'd also suggest using 9' walls for the basement.  That extra 1' isn't going to add a ton of cost, but it will buy you a lot of head height when you go to finish it off.  An 8' ceiling with a 10" or 12" duct underneath it turns into a 7' ceiling, but with a 9' ceiling you still have 8' under the ductwork.  If the electric panel is in the basement make sure there are a couple unused spaces in it for future use.  If not running a small sub panel down there during construction is a good idea, or at least 2-4 circuits for future use.  If planning on a future basement bathroom be sure to get the plumbing for drains under the slab now.  Having to saw cut the floor later makes a mess and is expensive, or you end up going to an upflush toilet, which just never really looks right (and there's maintenance on the grinder pump).

Some broad strokes, but anything you need just let me know. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.