FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2018 3:39 PM  #1

289 Coupe Stock 289 never rebuilt, Holley 600cfm #2

Hi all, I have taken a break from the Autolite on this Non 4v-------4bbl Intake/Carb swap and tried now my SECOND holley 600cfm carb.....First one gave several Weird/quarky issues and well now I have a second and different 600cfm doing differing quarky things...…..Need Insight....

100% Stock 289.....originally a 2bbl...

Holley 600 1850 Carb.....Severely Washed, Soaked and cleaned...…..Fully rebuilt, VAC Secondaries…….
This Carb has the Car running the STONGEST out of the 3 used (Economaster, EDC and this one)
Issues:
-Secondaries ALWAYS have constant and steady Drip dumping onto throttle plates (is this normal??? im only familiar with double pumpers)
-Mixture Screw produce Highest Vacuum when Seated all the way in (both).  this is also produces smoothest idle BUT creates smelly black smoke from tailpipes....
-when secondary curb idle plates are close too much Idle Rises then calms relatively consistently!

when I open the secondary circuit via the vac rod it dries up the boosters and that lasts for up to 30seconds, the idle also stays high then the boosters begin to Drip again....
I wont lie, the dripping secondary boosters has me most confused...…..

thank you for your time!
Jeff

12/16/2018 4:02 PM  #2

Re: 289 Coupe Stock 289 never rebuilt, Holley 600cfm #2

Forgot to send the photos, note the wet secondary During Idle!

and this just in, when the car is off, fuel is dripping from the Vac. Diaphram Shaft where is screws to the secondary plates....does this mean the shafts are leaking????

12/16/2018 4:35 PM  #3

Is the secondary float level right?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/16/2018 5:09 PM  #4

I gave up on a Holley and bought a Summit 500cfm carb. Best $300 I have spent on my Mustang.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

12/16/2018 6:07 PM  #5

Secondary float level was set correctly on install (as per Holley Instructions).  I tried turning it in. No change

I have a second 1850 that I'm going to try swapping the throttle plate to see if the leaks stop, but this idle/secondary booster thing is baffling

12/16/2018 6:56 PM  #6

When you rebuilt it did you put the check ball back in?

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

12/16/2018 7:18 PM  #7

I found everything that Holley or who ever said , may not work for everyone.  A  Holley is complicated.

12/16/2018 7:25 PM  #8

M1Mustang69 wrote:

Secondary float level was set correctly on install (as per Holley Instructions). I tried turning it in. No change

I have a second 1850 that I'm going to try swapping the throttle plate to see if the leaks stop, but this idle/secondary booster thing is baffling

But have you checked it with the engine running? Also if I remember correctly isn't there a little pin with a pointed end that goes under the squirter? Or is that just for a double pumper? Man, been a long time

12/16/2018 9:52 PM  #9

-Triton - The Diaphragm secondary does not have Check-Ball, it has a little brass insert with a small hole pressed in where a check-ball typically goes!

-Raymond - The I did drop each Float while the vehicle was running annnnd I did put the Check-Pin back in the primary Squirter!  

The Fuel Drips very consistently and steadily from the secondary Boosters-------------and I have NO CLUE WHY!?!?!?!  very frustrating.....Not to mention the new fuel leak slowly dripping from the Diaphragm Rod Screw area!?????(only when car is off)

12/17/2018 8:40 AM  #10

-Triton - The Diaphragm secondary does not have Check-Ball, it has a little brass insert with a small hole pressed in where a check-ball typically goes!

-Raymond - The I did drop each Float while the vehicle was running annnnd I did put the Check-Pin back in the primary Squirter!  

The Fuel Drips very consistently and steadily from the secondary Boosters-------------and I have NO CLUE WHY!?!?!?!  very frustrating.....Not to mention the new fuel leak slowly dripping from the Diaphragm Rod Screw area!?????(only when car is off)

12/17/2018 11:43 AM  #11

How old is it? Back in the 70’s Holley made a model that was more emission friendly. The idle mixture screws worked just the opposite. Instead of adjusting the amount of fuel, the fuel was fixed but the amount of air was adjusted. Turning the idle mixture screws in would reduce the air and richen the mixture similar to what you’re descending.

Found it, model 4165. https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?5764-Idle-Adjustment-for-4165

Last edited by Huskinhano (12/17/2018 11:48 AM)

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

12/17/2018 12:21 PM  #12

Well - Not sure of your experience level, so I apologize if this is basic for you: The dripping secondary boosters, and the idle screws being turned all the way in (lean) would be consistent since the engine is getting all the fuel it wants at idle due to the dripping secondaries. First thing that I would think of - the inlet needle valve on the secondary side isn't sealing completely.  Did you replace the inlet needle valve assemblies? . Try removing the sight plug on the secondary bowl while the engine is running - does fuel constantly drain out of the hole? That indicates that the secondary bowl is overfilling. That is commonly caused by dirt stuck in the needle and seat - it doesn't take much. I think I'd remove the secondary needle and seat assembly and either replace it if you haven't already, or blow it out with some compressed air. Then reinstall and reset the float level while the engine is running. Fuel level in the bowl should be just at the bottom of the sight plug opening. If it still overfills, then the float may have a leak and is sinking, allowing the bowl to overfill. In that case I'd replace the secondary float.

12/17/2018 3:27 PM  #13

Thank you kevin….no offence taken for obvious reasons....moving forward, to spare you im passed the basics, I rebuild these guys, but im not an engineer, or haven't been working with all sorts of carbs for decades like most....so when some funky stuff happens I may not know why...this was the first time I saw Constant Dripping from the secondary booster circuit, so your insight is greatly appreciated....now I know 

So the update is I concluded the throttle plates were worn and damaged (from the dripping fuel when the car was off by the vac. secondary Rod.....)  so I swapped it with a newer one....disassembled the secondary bowel and thoroughly cleaned it again with carb cleaner......the needle valve seemed to function consistently, with that observation I assume it would function better with constant lubrication from the fuel....

bolted it back on and whammo, everything was Kosher!  all booster dripping stopped, all leaks stopped....car idles fantastically!  
Conclusion: Vac leaks on throttle plates and Debris on Needle Valve.....

owner of the 68 Stock 289 2v C4 Coupe has said that he whole heartedly does not recall a time when his car has run this Strong....Owner of 38yrs....(converted intake to 4bbl and after 3 carbs laded on the Holley 600cfm)

12/19/2018 2:01 AM  #14

Thank you kevin….no offence taken for obvious reasons....moving forward, to spare you im passed the basics, I rebuild these guys, but im not an engineer, or haven't been working with all sorts of carbs for decades like most....so when some funky stuff happens I may not know why...this was the first time I saw Constant Dripping from the secondary booster circuit, so your insight is greatly appreciated....now I know 

So the update is I concluded the throttle plates were worn and damaged (from the dripping fuel when the car was off by the vac. secondary Rod.....)  so I swapped it with a newer one....disassembled the secondary bowel and thoroughly cleaned it again with carb cleaner......the needle valve seemed to function consistently, with that observation I assume it would function better with constant lubrication from the fuel....

bolted it back on and whammo, everything was Kosher!  all booster dripping stopped, all leaks stopped....car idles fantastically!  
Conclusion: Vac leaks on throttle plates and Debris on Needle Valve.....

owner of the 68 Stock 289 2v C4 Coupe has said that he whole heartedly does not recall a time when his car has run this Strong....Owner of 38yrs....(converted intake to 4bbl and after 3 carbs laded on the Holley 600cfm)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.