FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2019 12:48 PM  #1

alternator upgrade

I am slowly getting the new motor with Efi in my 67 coupe. Going to run a serpentine belt with an alternator from a 95 F150. What do i do with the wiring on the old voltage regulator? I have looked at a lot of diagrams on doing the conversion, but have not found what to do with those wires. 

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

1/19/2019 1:15 PM  #2

Re: alternator upgrade

One of the wires goes back to the starter solenoid for charging, 2 of them go to the alternator, and 1 is coming from the instrument cluster.
There is a diagram out there for converting to a 3G alternator that I would take a look at. My car has an idiot light and I installed the resistor as per the diagram. Can’t help with an Ampermeter gauge other than saying the 95 150 alternator creates more amperage than it can handle, read as burnt wiring.

Here is the diagram I used.
https://goo.gl/images/xrDU7a

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (1/19/2019 1:17 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/20/2019 9:52 AM  #3

Re: alternator upgrade

There is a really good article on this in the Februarty issue of Hot Rod magazine.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.