FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2019 10:54 AM  #1

Just curious... How did you find/wind up on FYIFORD?

How did you wind up on FYIFORD?  And how long ago?  Dates on the forum only go back to 2013 or so, but originally started in 1999.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/17/2019 11:06 AM  #2

Re: Just curious... How did you find/wind up on FYIFORD?

It was about 3 months after the Tomball bash. 2012 or 2013?? I was looking for info on disc brakes and rack n pinion steering.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/17/2019 11:36 AM  #3

I think I saw a reference to the site in a  "hot rod book"!
Been a looooong time since I bought/read an automotive rag!!
6sal6
(1st MSBB I went to was in Carollton, GA. BILLY WALTON'S PLACE)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/17/2019 12:25 PM  #4

....while researching V8 and brake upgrades for the 66 T code coupe, back around 2005/2006, IIRC.  It was MS's Granada tie rod adapters that specifically got me to the website.  Never did buy the adapters, tho.

11/17/2019 1:11 PM  #5

I joined here in 2017.  I joined the VMF 3 years earlier.  I'm pretty sure this forum was mentioned in a thread I read there which lead me to joining here.  Both forums contain very technical threads which is what I enjoy reading and learning from.  I try to contribute to both when I can.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/17/2019 1:37 PM  #6

Found the forum back in 2006 while looking for advice on granada disk brake upgrade.  Became a member and tried to contribute.  Not long after that, the wife and I jumped in her mini cooper and cruised from OKC to MS place....I had several brake pedal brackets that I gave Steve; don't think I ever got any garage points for that contribution. Was the first time I met the man and I was pretty stoked.....started attending the Bash, etc. Thanks to the forum, made many friends and have/will get to visit with them as we/they travel across the country.  Great forum.......would be a perfect forum if the ability to consistently post pics was available!

11/17/2019 2:03 PM  #7

I had just retired in 2008 and my son and his wife took me out to eat for my birthday (wife was out of town). We were returning from Fort Worth to Arlington on I-20 when my son saw a parking lot full of old cars (it was a Friday night). He dove off the Interstate and hung a Uey. After we parked and walked to the cars, the first car on the corner was a beautiful blue 66 Mustang fastback. Since I had a non-beautiful red 66 Mustang fastback I struck up a conversation with the guy sitting in a chair beside the car, Mustang Steve. He told me about the forum and his custom parts business. I learned about the Bash from the forum. My first Bash was Tomball in 2009(?). Met Mustanger Mike at MS’s  place for the Mustang’s 50 anniversary party. Met lots of fine Mustang owners due to that initial meeting with MS in that parking lot. 

11/17/2019 3:37 PM  #8

Back in the last century when I bought my second stang, it came with a duraspark dissy in the boot. I wanted to use it on my first stang.
MS was like a cheap date  ... very willing to help out, and free with his knowledge.
I remember when the first Bash was announced ... told Leonie that we should go, but was unable to get to one until Jerry's in Franklin, hooked ever since.
MS, not sure, but did the forum start as a bulletin board/ mailing list type thing?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/17/2019 3:38 PM  #9

It was mid/ late 90's ?  I Needed a stock bare block 302.   B Hendrixs (worked also at TI) recommended I call Steve.  I went over to Steve's but didn't buy the block.  The forums was started about that time (?).     

11/17/2019 4:01 PM  #10

After purchasing a Modern Driveline clutch cable kit for my '67 in 2013 I went looking for some info on the install because it didn't seem like it was going to fit right (because its an overly complicated POS).  I stumbled onto the Mustang Steve site with his cable clutch, and purchased it, but also found this forum.  I've belonged to a bunch of forums over the years, most of them I post on actively for a couple years then move on to other projects, or the traffic on the forum dies down because people move on to modifying newer vehicles.  I've never encountered one where a large portion of the members have actually met each other and get together regularly.  This is a unique and amazing place. 

11/17/2019 4:52 PM  #11

In 06 or 07 I was surfing for front disc brake info.  Stumbled onto the MS website and ended up calling Steve to find out about the "cheap" way to upgrade the pedal hanger and add the booster.  He explained that it really wasn't a "kit" and I explained that would be fine since I'm not much of a "kit" guy.  After that I started checking the forum and in 09 I read all the posts about the "BASH" in Illinois (Terry McGovern's Bash).  I told Jean right then that wherever this thing was gonna be in 2010 didn't matter 'cause we were going.  That was Waxahachie, TX.   I recall that MS posted that it was going to be in Sept. so it might be a little cooler and maybe we could  get more ladies to attend.  Worked perfect and we've been regulars since...except for '18, missed Steve G's bash, sorry Steve.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/17/2019 4:59 PM  #12

I think  2004

If its worth doing do it right !

11/17/2019 5:16 PM  #13

In 2014 I put an add on CL to sell a bunch of parts. MS was interested in the brake spindles. He showed up in a Bash T shirt and Mustang Steve decals on his truck but never said anything. (Just realing me in.) After we made the deal I asked what was with the shirt and decals. I looked up the info he gave me right away and was sold. My wife was skeptical as we went to our first Bash, so I told her to call the shots. The gals really came through. It's pretty strange and well worth it to work on a car a just to drive it across the country to a gathering to meet the people who shared their advise, experiance, and encouragement as it goes back together.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/17/2019 5:16 PM  #14

I've got no idea how or when I discovered this place. But before the Ft Walton Beach Bash in 2017 I was in contact with Bullet Bob about something to do with my 69. He talked me into driving to Corky's and stopping by his place in Montrose "on the way" to Florida. BB said I would fit in, and the members that attend The Bash are great guys. I didn't fully believe him until I met and got to ķnow many of the guys. The quality of the folks here is just outstanding.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/17/2019 5:56 PM  #15

I bought my 66 coupe in 2004. Early in 2005 I was looking to upgrade to disc brakes and found this site. Been on it daily since. Added SSBC front discs and the MustangSteve power brake upgrade. Also did the Shelby/Arning drop with the template I bought from Daze. I've done lots of other upgrades and mods through the years with the help of others on the site. I learned long ago that nothing is impossible and no matter what you want to do, someone else has already done it and posted about it online. This is a great site to gain other's knowledge and experience. Thanks to all who have and continue to be active here and to MS for starting it in the first place.

Last edited by zakdaddy99 (11/17/2019 5:56 PM)

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

11/18/2019 7:26 AM  #16

It had to be around 2008 or 2009, just stumbled on it, has been a staple in putting the old 66 together just,  so much info. The first bash i did was the Ill. one I think it was Terry M's.

11/18/2019 8:22 AM  #17

I found a link online about 2005.  I found it much friendlier than most of the sites I had visited. My wife and I decided to make the trip to Carrolton, GA in 2006 and met Steve, BILLY WALTON and Glen and a few others.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

11/18/2019 9:57 AM  #18

Gee, I wish I could remember that far back. Never was a member for a lot of yrs. Just looked in at times and didn't know how these computer things worked ( and still don't). Plus dial-up was so dang slow that I had the 2nd car done before I could get a page to load.

11/18/2019 11:15 AM  #19

'99 or 2000 for me. Looking for good Mustang info. Found it.
Mike- I was briefly at the Carrollton, GA Bash, but without the Mustang. Met MS, Glen B., and BILLY.

11/18/2019 11:29 AM  #20

2014 I think .. went to a shop to get my power steering fixed , the owner used to be a member here but was out of the mustang game now.. he and his wife recommended this forum to me as I was up a creek without a paddle with the mustang scared to touch ANYTHING , and having spent a gross amount on labor with dallas mustang had realized the mistake I had made paying them for labor... This forum is what tought me what I know today .. :D

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

11/18/2019 11:51 AM  #21

I was researching brake upgrades and came across a thread on VMF discussing MS’ Cobra brake brackets, which led me over here.

11/18/2019 11:58 AM  #22

I think it was 2005, I had bought my convert to restore and needed some parts. Google brought me to the swap meet section and I bought an Edelbrock intake from a member in Stillwater, MN. Joined then and still try to read every couple of days. 

It's easier to add horsepower than it is to lose weight.

11/18/2019 3:19 PM  #23

It seems to me that I found MS around 2000 give or take.  I have enjoyed it ever since.  Liked the calendars back then too.

I can't remember how I found it.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/18/2019 10:24 PM  #24

whlnut wrote:

'99 or 2000 for me. Looking for good Mustang info. Found it.
Mike- I was briefly at the Carrollton, GA Bash, but without the Mustang. Met MS, Glen B., and BILLY.

Since I was in a 'new surrounding' I guess I was kinda quiet. Sorta scoping everybody out, maybe. I guess that's why we didn't remember meeting up. Soooooooooooooo...another good reason to come to the beach this April!
Prolly won't ever get much closer again!.
Read the Bash info post and make your reservations early...........its filling up pretty fast.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/19/2019 5:22 AM  #25

MS wrote:

How did you wind up on FYIFORD?  And how long ago?  Dates on the forum only go back to 2013 or so, but originally started in 1999.

I came across this great forum in the fall of 2002. I had a friend tell me about an older guy that she knew who might be interested in selling his old Mustang. I made contact with the guy, went around and checked out the car. I was not sure what it was worth and some of the things on the car didn't seem to match up with a 65, so I jumped on the internet to do some research and stumbled across the Mustang Steve forum. I joined the forum and asked a bunch of questions before I bought the car. The forum members at that time helped me discover that my car was a D Code and one of the questions I asked was about whether the price the guy was asking was reasonable... Ha, ha! Steve said that if I didn't jump on it, he would. The rest is history...
Does anyone remember Bo Lasquis and Bo Stang?
Steve Wilkes is a great guy and I appreciate his time to share his wealth of knowledge over the years as I restored my car.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.