FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2020 3:14 PM  #1

Cobra hydroboost with Mustang Steve T5 cable conversion???

I've searched but have not found the answer I am looking for and that is can, I install a cobra hydroboost with a Mustang Steve T5 cable conversion?  I bought a used 418 351W stroker and I do not know the specs of the cam.  I would like to just run a vacuum booster but I'm afraid I will not have enough vacuum.  I've tried reaching out to the company that built the engine but they have not returned any of my calls.  What paperwork I have says it's a lopey idle.  

I have the rear 03 cobra brakes but still need to buy the front cobra brakes.  Since I'm using the front and rear cobra brakes.   I figured why not use the HB from the same car and then.  I would 't have to worry about the vacuum.  I still need to purchase the MS brake brackets.

I have the cowl panels removed for replacement and figured now would be a good time to work on the cable conversion and the hydroboost installation.  Still need to buy everything.

2/20/2020 5:28 PM  #2

Re: Cobra hydroboost with Mustang Steve T5 cable conversion???

Sure. It will work with very little modification. It uses same booster pattern as Fox booster. So , if you have a 65-66, use the MS power brake conversion PB-2 kit and it will pretty much bolt in.  It will be ugly as hell, but it will bolt in.

What year is your car?  Other years have their unique challenges.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/20/2020 5:36 PM  #3

I used MS cable conversion in my 66 Coupe and installed hydroboost.  PM my your email address and I can send you a write up I did on the FYI forum (Electric vacuum pump to assist power brake booster).  When photo bucket changed the photos went away.

Dennis

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

2/21/2020 4:01 AM  #4

MS why would it be ugly?  I have a 66 coupe.

Dkralc, I may have been reading your post on here and I could not see the photos.

2/21/2020 10:46 AM  #5

RTM wrote:

MS why would it be ugly?  I have a 66 coupe..

Just my opinion.  All the extra hoses and unusual hardware (for a 66) just do not fit with the classic car.  Again, just my opinion on looks.  Functionally, they work great.

2/22/2020 2:19 PM  #6

I would rather keep it simple with the regular brake booster.  But I am afraid I will not have enough vacuum.

Dkralc, thanks for the nice write up.  I've seen that same hydroboost used in the early broncos too.

Now I just need to get an order placed with MS and at least get started on the cable conversion and bearing conversion to the pedals.

2/22/2020 4:39 PM  #7

RTM wrote:

I would rather keep it simple with the regular brake booster.  But I am afraid I will not have enough vacuum.

Then go manual brakes. My 69 stops very well with manual brakes.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/22/2020 5:17 PM  #8

Bearing Bob wrote:

RTM wrote:

I would but the wife wants to drive the mustang too.  It will have PS and PB for her to drive and have AC.  My last build was manual steering and manual brakes and was great to drive.  Except for parking lot turns.  lol

Then again I have never driven a manual brake car that has four wheel disk brakes with the fronts being 13 inches and the rear are 12.  Maybe that would stop better than my old manual granada disk brake with stock rear drums?  

2/22/2020 5:51 PM  #9

RTM wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

RTM wrote:

I would but the wife wants to drive the mustang too.  It will have PS and PB for her to drive and have AC.  My last build was manual steering and manual brakes and was great to drive.  Except for parking lot turns.  lol

Then again I have never driven a manual brake car that has four wheel disk brakes with the fronts being 13 inches and the rear are 12.  Maybe that would stop better than my old manual granada disk brake with stock rear drums?  

Back in the day I drove a 66 Corvair Corsa all over the US with no power anything. Drum brakes all around and that Corvair would stop on a dime.

My mustang was the first car I ever owned with power brakes, factory discs up front too and it stops about the same as my old Corsa; on a dime.

Last edited by RV6 (2/22/2020 5:52 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/22/2020 6:03 PM  #10

Bearing Bob wrote:

RTM wrote:

What he sez^^^^^^^^^^ I have little front discs and drum rear and it stops wayyyyyy better than the drum(s) system that came stock.  The 65-66 Mustangs are lite-weight so big honk'en brakes with hydro-boost is just over kill IMHO.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/22/2020 9:01 PM  #11

It is not so much the pedal effort with manual brakes but the excess travel required over and over.  Way back when, you really had nothing better to compare your manual brakes against. Now, the manual is the rarity in a world of power brake cars. Extra pedal travel plus having to push the pedal fairly hard while sitting still makes a big difference in driving effort.  I used to have manual brakes on my 66, but then, I used to pedal a bicycle everywhere I went.

2/22/2020 11:46 PM  #12

RTM wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

RTM wrote:

Manual disc brakes take 3-4 times as much pedal pressure as drum brakes. I have had manual four wheel disc brakes and I do not recommend them.

2/23/2020 1:49 AM  #13

Hornman wrote:

Manual disc brakes take 3-4 times as much pedal pressure as drum brakes. I have had manual four wheel disc brakes and I do not recommend them.

3 to 4 times the effort???  Guess I just got lucky.
Please let us know that set up so no one buys it.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/23/2020 5:53 AM  #14

MS wrote:

It is not so much the pedal effort with manual brakes but the excess travel required over and over. Way back when, you really had nothing better to compare your manual brakes against. Now, the manual is the rarity in a world of power brake cars. Extra pedal travel plus having to push the pedal fairly hard while sitting still makes a big difference in driving effort. I used to have manual brakes on my 66, but then, I used to pedal a bicycle everywhere I went.

I am an avid cyclist and have been for 30 years.  Raced road bikes and MTB's for many years.

2/23/2020 9:21 AM  #15

Hornman wrote:

RTM wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Is there a way to change your pedal ratio?
As Bearing Bob mentioned, what system do you have?
For future reference of course.

2/23/2020 4:23 PM  #16

Bearing Bob wrote:

Hornman wrote:

3 to 4 times the effort??? Guess I just got lucky.
Please let us know that set up so no one buys it.

Drum brakes take about 300psig max to actuate while disc brakes take 900-1200psig, depending on pedal ratio, master cylinder bore size, slave cylinder / brake piston size. 

I have a 1.0” mc, Grenada front discs and SS Brakes rear conversion rear discs. Standard 65 Mustang brake pedal with a Mustang Steve pedal pivot bearing upgrade. This combination works for general driving but is no fun to drive in stop-and-go traffic.   Panic stops are really no fun. I am finishing up the final details of installing a Bosch hydroboost.

2/27/2020 5:07 PM  #17

I just bought 03/04 cobra front brakes with rotors and the hydro boost from someone parting out a cobra.  This will match the rear cobra brakes I bought a while back.   Now I just need to figure out if I want to buy parts or get the car dustless blasted and sealed in epoxy primer.

11/01/2020 2:37 PM  #18

MS wrote:

Sure. It will work with very little modification. It uses same booster pattern as Fox booster. So , if you have a 65-66, use the MS power brake conversion PB-2 kit and it will pretty much bolt in. It will be ugly as hell, but it will bolt in.

What year is your car? Other years have their unique challenges.

The PB-2 will not work.  The bolt holes do not line up with the factory 65/66 bolt holes and the hydroboost uses the factory mounting location of the top two mounting holes.  I think I am better off just adding a little length to the pushrod for the MC to get the pedal height right.  When I use the top two factory mounting holes the hydroboost lines right up with the stud on the brake pedal, just falls short by maybe a 1/2 inch or so.

11/01/2020 2:46 PM  #19

11/01/2020 3:48 PM  #20

Have you checked to see if the MS firewall bracket holes align with the booster studs? In your pics, that bracket hasn't been welded to your pedal support yet so, give it a try.

11/01/2020 5:39 PM  #21

josh-kebob wrote:

Have you checked to see if the MS firewall bracket holes align with the booster studs? In your pics, that bracket hasn't been welded to your pedal support yet so, give it a try.

Yes I have, that's the reason for my reply.  I was checking the fit and was about to cut my pedal bracket to weld in the MS plate when I started to check the fit and realized the bolt hole pattern on the MS bracket isn't even close to the stock bolt hole location on my 65/66 brake pedal bracket.  It's also not even close to the Hydro Boost bolt pattern which matches the top bolt holes of the stock bracket!!!!  When I try to fit the MS bracket over the studs on the hydro boost unit the center hole is way off, let alone the bolt hole spacing is off too.  It simple isn't even close enough to use.  I will more than likely have to make my own plate or see how well it works with the stock plate thats on the hydro boost unit and hope it's enough to reinforce the firewall.

To add to the problem of not being able to use the MS PB-2 setup.  The relocating of the stud isn't even close to where it needs to be for the hydro boost set up, not for a stock bolt up set up, which isn't even an option with the stock pedal.  It has to move the opposite direction of where the MS kit wants it to be.  As far as pedal ratio goes, I do not know.  But If I were to relocate the stud per MS instructions my pedal would be even closer to the floor than it is now.  Like I mentioned, I need to move the pedal about a 1/2 inch or so away from the floor.  The push rod from the hydroboost unit appears to be in alignment with the stock stud location on the 65/66 pedal.  Moving the stud down and away will only make the alignment worse by lowering the pedal to the floor and putting the push rod at an angle.

So I'm very happy I did not cut my pedal bracket and weld on the MS plate.  Had I done that, I would have not been using the hydro boost set up.  I would have been using the power brake set up and then hoping I had enough vacuum to run it or buying a new pedal bracket.  I had all my center lines and cut lines laid out when I started to question how it was all going to work together.  I am sure the bracket works great for the power brake set up  but I do not see how it's even close to being useful for the hydro boost set up.  Unless I got the wrong plate but the plate matches the drawing when I overlay it.

For some reason I can not post pictures on here.  The site that host the pictures always asks for permission and I said to not ask again.  Since I clicked not to ask again, I have not been able to post direct pictures to my post.

11/02/2020 6:21 AM  #22

Is there a different year hydro boost that has same bolt pattern?

Or can the hydro boost plate be reclocked?

Last edited by Nos681 (11/02/2020 6:22 AM)

11/02/2020 10:18 AM  #23

You are going to need to change your pedal ratio.  With the stock ratio as you have it pictured, and the super boost power of the hydroboost, you can expect to have very touchy, overboosted brakes.  I suggest a 67 power brake pedal and modify the pedal support to raise the brake pedal pivot point 3" higher.

11/02/2020 4:48 PM  #24

MS wrote:

You are going to need to change your pedal ratio.  With the stock ratio as you have it pictured, and the super boost power of the hydroboost, you can expect to have very touchy, overboosted brakes.  I suggest a 67 power brake pedal and modify the pedal support to raise the brake pedal pivot point 3" higher.

If I need to move the pivot point 3 inches then why would I have ever needed the PB-2 kit?  When you suggested the PB-2 kit I was under the impression this would put everything where it needed to be but I also thought the hydroboost would bolt up to the plate unless you meant for me not to use the factory plate thats on the HB unit and that your kit replaces the stock HB mounting plate?   The plate from your kit doesn't even lone up with the factory mounting holes on my firewall.  Again I can only guess this is because it's designed to mate up to the power brake kits you offer.

If I move the pivot point up 3 inches I would be at or above the pivot point of the brake pedal?   I'm not familiar with the 67 pedal option.   But I think a little more research is needed to confirm the distance from the pivot center line to the mounting stud before I proceed any further.

11/02/2020 5:01 PM  #25

Nos681 wrote:

Is there a different year hydro boost that has same bolt pattern?

Or can the hydro boost plate be reclocked?

I have no clue what years are or if they even have different mounting patterns for different years.  All I know is the MS bracket/plate doesn't match up to my factory mounting holes but on the HB unit the top two mounting studs fit right through the top mounting holes of the stock 65/66 brake pedal support.  Clocking the HB unit will not improve any alignment with any of the mounting holes.  I have tried to clock and rotate the MS plate without even being able to get two holes to line up at all.  

I have a feeling I am not suppose to use the factory HB plate with the MS kit but even then I do not think the MS plate will bolt down to the plate.  I think the center hole is to big but I need to confirm this because I did not look that closely at the option yesterday.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.