FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2020 5:28 AM  #1

Opportunity to get an old car back

I have already discussed my new project, my 78  F100, and the plans for it.

Then out of the blue, the fellow I sold my 68 coupe called and says you always wanted first shot at the Mustang if I ever decided to sell it. With life, family and space I can have one play car not two.

Then to make things worse, the young man I sold my first F100 project too stops by to check in, like he knew I was in a delima trying to make a decision.

3/10/2020 5:45 AM  #2

Re: Opportunity to get an old car back

Money wise it is about the same investment, I believe it will cost me a little more to build the truck as to what I can buy the car back for. The cost of parts keeps going up, just cant build them for the money we used too. The mustang is at a point where it can be enjoyed right now with small projects along the way. The paint on the Mustang is a ten footer at best.
The specs on the Mustang (Which I built and did everything about 7 years ago, it has had less then 500 miles put on it since I sold it)
5.0 block (331)
AFR 165's
Ford E-cam
Scorpion roller rockers
Stealth Intake
Holley 650
JBA stainless headers
T-5 (Mustang Steve clutch)
Narrowed Explorer 8.8 7.73 gear
Aluminum drive shaft
Mustang Steve 2006 GT disc brakes upgrade (Power)
Dual Ford Contour electric fans
17" Vintage Wheel Works 17x8 front 235's & 17x9.5 rear 275's
The interior is all stock and excellent
The body is rust free with one repaint (the original LimeGold color)
The one thing the car needs is power steering

I believe I can build the truck into a better project, BUT at what expense and how long will it take? I know no one can answer these questions for me, I am just using you guys as a sounding board.

3/10/2020 9:32 AM  #3

The 68 looks good from where I sit, especially with the mods you did on it. As for the paint don’t sweat it if you plan on driving it a lot, you will get road rash, don’t ask me how I know.
The truck looks like a project that will take more money and time than you think, but you already know that from what you did to the 68.
So you have to ask yourself, do you want a project that will take time away from the family or a completed ride that the family can enjoy right from the get go.
If you act fast enough the 68 should be bash ready.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/10/2020 10:03 AM  #4

I too vote for the 68 Bash car.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/10/2020 10:36 AM  #5

I vote 68 too.

3/10/2020 10:59 AM  #6

Yeah, go with the Mustang! The 78 is a long bed soooo  is less desirable than a SWB.  Coin toss between the F100 and the 68 Mustang....I gotta go with the Mustang.
Should ride really well to the Bash at the Beach!
Where you from?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/10/2020 3:09 PM  #7

6Sally6, I guess it’s th angle of the photo but the F100 is a SWB, I’m in Ky.

I think one issue is one big check all at once vs over a couple years.

I know that based on the parts used to build the Mustang there is no way I can build it today for what I can buy it for.

3/10/2020 3:12 PM  #8

Is there still a Kentucky Mustang?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/10/2020 3:45 PM  #9

Yes, huge outfit, about 45 minutes from my house, family owned and ran and real good guys

3/10/2020 4:15 PM  #10

It seems to me you like building/restoring more than driving the finished product. You should buy back your Mustang, drive it to the bash and then sell it for more than you bought it for to be able to finance your F100.

Simple economics.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/10/2020 4:48 PM  #11

kardad wrote:

Other than having to change out those gears, that car definitely sounds like it's Bash-ready.  Even with the T5 it might get a little tiresome on the highway.  LOL

I'm with everyone else....68!

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/10/2020 4:55 PM  #12

Bullet Bob wrote:

kardad wrote:

Other than having to change out those gears, that car definitely sounds like it's Bash-ready.  Even with the T5 it might get a little tiresome on the highway.  LOL

I'm with everyone else....68!

BB

Me thinks the 7.73 is a typo. With those gears at 75MPH the engine would be singing to the tune of 6K Plus. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/10/2020 5:22 PM  #13

I also vote 68 (nice colour). But ... I suspect if you asked the same question on a F100 forum, the answers would be different.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/10/2020 6:05 PM  #14

Yea, it a 3.73 gears, and I have been told more than once that I like building more than driving.

3/10/2020 6:58 PM  #15

kardad wrote:

and I have been told more than once that I like building more than driving.

Sounds like you'd fit in nicely at the Bash, which is under 600 miles away for you.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/10/2020 9:18 PM  #16

I feel your struggle.
I keep telling my wife to ditch the ‘79 F150.😁
Love the truck but love the Mustang more...besides, it’s my first born!😎
We’ll be at the Bash.

Your Mustang looks beautiful!

Last edited by Nos681 (3/10/2020 9:19 PM)

3/10/2020 9:42 PM  #17

One of the 'really-cool' things about having these Bashes is getting to meet the "new-guy-who-has-never-been-before"......
Kardad            that COULD-BE-YOU!!!!!
You could be da man! 
Like the old southern preacher usta say......."thanka bowdit"
6sal6

3/11/2020 6:18 AM  #18

This is a loaded question!!! If you like to work on them more than drive, keep the truck and be prepared to spend the money bit by bit over time. That is more doable for most everybody. 

If you want to drive them, buy the Stang back....great color choice too!! Do the small projects and drive it as much as possible. 

What age are your kids at this point?? I think they would like to go for a ride with Dad more than watch him work on something in the garage that can't move for long periods of time. 

Decisions, decisions!!! Good luck. 

After all the time and money I have in my car now, the next car would be a driver with good paint. I will settle for some small projects over the full scale of a complete rebuild. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/11/2020 7:03 AM  #19

I too vote on the 68 as I'm still working on my project and longing to drive it.

A bad day working on your mustang beats a good day at work anytime

3/11/2020 9:18 AM  #20

I have four kids, My daughter is 21 and could care less about dad's cars. My three boys are 17 and twin 12 year old. My 17 year old is quick to remind me that history shows that I will break the truck down and get bit big by the "While Your In There Monster" and it will be down for much longer than I planned.

I do see the benefit to smaller more manageable small projects. I touched base this morning with the present Mustang owner and I am going to go drive it Sunday afternoon.

My 17 year old is trying to talk Mom into letting him have the 78 F100, I wish him luck but I don't think he has a chance. He has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is much safer and makes Mom happy.

3/11/2020 9:30 AM  #21

kardad wrote:

My 17 year old is trying to talk Mom into letting him have the 78 F100, I wish him luck but I don't think he has a chance. He has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is much safer and makes Mom happy.

WIMMEN!!!! Go figure?!
Fun how when 'they/we" were young(er) everybody drove them and thought they were perfectly safe..............
6sal6
Mine sez the same thing (only louder prolly)

3/11/2020 10:45 AM  #22

The Grand Cherokee will have better safety features, get better fuel mileage, and probable cost less to insure with a 17 year old boy. If he can sell Mom on that, he may ave a future as a salesman!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/11/2020 4:24 PM  #23

That's a tough call but I think I would go for the mustang.  Now if the truck was a 4x4 then I would keep it.

3/12/2020 1:07 PM  #24

Bolted to Floor wrote:

The Grand Cherokee will have better safety features, get better fuel mileage, and probable cost less to insure with a 17 year old boy. If he can sell Mom on that, he may ave a future as a salesman!!

LOL - I have to disagree with that statement. My 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUCKS gas. I have the 4.7L HO and I average about 15 mpg - maybe 17 mpg on trips. My 68 with the 351W, 4R70W and 3.25 rear end gets a little bit better than that on the highway. My daily driver is a 2017 Explorer Sport and I get about 21 mpg with that and that's no gas sipper either. I keep the Jeep as a spare tire and I use it on hunting trips. The Exploder is too nice yet to take it into the woods. Don't know about the insurance for a 17 year old, but back when I was trying to insure my 16 year old in a Mustang, my insurance company wouldn't insure a 16 year old in a Mustang with a V8.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/12/2020 2:21 PM  #25

kardad wrote:

I have four kids, My daughter is 21 and could care less about dad's cars. My three boys are 17 and twin 12 year old. My 17 year old is quick to remind me that history shows that I will break the truck down and get bit big by the "While Your In There Monster" and it will be down for much longer than I planned.

I do see the benefit to smaller more manageable small projects. I touched base this morning with the present Mustang owner and I am going to go drive it Sunday afternoon.

That 17 year old is wise beyond his years.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.