FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2020 8:11 PM  #1

bolt in Sub frame connectors

Are bolt in sub frame connectors worth installing on my 66 coupe?

4/21/2020 8:45 PM  #2

Re: bolt in Sub frame connectors

Yes as long as you weld them in after.
Bolts will not give the clamping pressures needed to allow them to do what they were intended to do.

Last edited by Rudi (4/21/2020 8:56 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/22/2020 6:01 AM  #3

In a  nutshell, they work, but nowhere near as well as weld in ones.  Over time they tend to distort at the bolt holes becoming even ,less effective. 

4/22/2020 8:31 AM  #4

I'm in the process of making some subframe s for the coupe. They will be welded in. There is a ton of info on the subject and welding them in is the way to go.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

4/22/2020 8:48 AM  #5

I built a set of these weld-ins:

https://dazecars.com/dazed/sub-frame.html

Perfect fit!

Last edited by ponch0v (4/22/2020 8:50 AM)

4/22/2020 3:37 PM  #6

Probably better off putting torque boxes in. They'll do more in torsional rigidity then subframe connectors. I put torque boxes in and can definitely feel a difference. No squeaks or rattles

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

4/22/2020 4:13 PM  #7

Torque boxes are definitely needed for cars that don't have them, but SFCs are still THE best chassis stiffening you can do short of a roll cage, and even a cage would need SFCs to tie into.  There's just no skirting the issue that the car lacks a full length frame rail.  That only gets addressed by installing SFCs. 

4/23/2020 12:10 PM  #8

I made the Daze ones as well for my project but I also added two 1/2 inserts to each end of the connectors so that I can make my own bolt in X brace like the TCP one.

4/23/2020 2:44 PM  #9

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO, EFI 

I had the complete TCP subframe connector installed.  I did the main install myself with just the car raised on cylinder blocks and a mig welder.  I had the exhaust shop finish up the weld when they put in the custom exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=46&v=KQLNhDr5OqQ&feature=emb_logo

4/23/2020 6:43 PM  #10

TremendousWand wrote:

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO, EFI 

.  I did the main install myself with just the car raised on cylinder blocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=46&v=KQLNhDr5OqQ&feature=emb_logo

"OHHH MOM!!......he was under the car with just cinder blocks!"

Gotta real horror story about cars on cinder blocks. I'll tell you about it at the Bash and sharing a glass of whiskey/beer/Pepsi/Coke/tea...........wait-a-minute......Never mind!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/23/2020 7:22 PM  #11

They’re concrete blocks nowadays....not cinders.
That’s old skool man.

4/23/2020 7:32 PM  #12

This might be safer!!

fast six online free

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/23/2020 8:13 PM  #13

This is why you want some really heavy duty welded-in subframe connectors.  No damage to anything.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/23/2020 8:55 PM  #14

WOW!!........Look like your wayyyyy over-due for some guardrails......Daytona style!
6sal6

4/23/2020 9:01 PM  #15

That would call for an underwear change.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/23/2020 9:41 PM  #16

Had me worried, MS.  Glad there was no damage.  Gotta ax...didja learn any new words?

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/24/2020 5:00 AM  #17

Bullet Bob wrote:

Had me worried, MS.  Glad there was no damage.  Gotta ax...didja learn any new words?

BB1

I'm thinking the OED is going to be adding a couple that he created!

4/24/2020 1:49 PM  #18

This was the only damage.  Nothing bent.  Just scratches. Thanks to the heavy duty Tin Man welded subframe connecters and the mufflers being as high as possible to begin with.

I was lucky.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/24/2020 2:20 PM  #19

Lucky dog could have been a lot worse, oh by the way I like how you have your fuel line, probably going to steal that idea after I get my subframes put in..... And after the move, setting up the house, then the garage then........sound like a winter project.

Last edited by bearcat (4/24/2020 2:20 PM)

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

4/25/2020 8:36 AM  #20

And I thought you staged that.
Thank goodness no damage.
That’s definitely on my “to do list”.

5/18/2020 5:51 AM  #21

MS wrote:

This was the only damage.  Nothing bent.  Just scratches. Thanks to the heavy duty Tin Man welded subframe connecters and the mufflers being as high as possible to begin with.

I was lucky.

How did this happen Steve? You were very fortunate to just get out of it with a few scratches and it not be a Ferris Bueller incident (remember the classic Ferrari)...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.