FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2020 1:13 PM  #1

Best AC unit and do I need the fresh air from the cowl?

I'm finally able to get back to the mustang after a few months of being away from it.  Sadly my father had passed away and a week after that my daughter had to have thyroid cancer surgery.  Happy to report she is cancer free now.

So anyways I want to install AC and was wondering which after market kit one would recommend and do the aftermarket kits require the fresh air from the cowl?  I ask that because I was thinking of welding the vents closed on the top of the cowl.  Keep in mind the cowl is being replaced, both the upper and lower.  I also don't mind modifying the firewall for the AC if needed.  I've seen some AC kits were people have a smooth firewalls and other kits use the blower motor opening.

I plan on buying the CVF 8 rib serpentine pulley set up.  Its a 66 coupe with a 351W.  

6/04/2020 3:08 PM  #2

Re: Best AC unit and do I need the fresh air from the cowl?

I have a 67 so I won't be much help. The 66 traditionally uses and under dash evaporator/blower unit, although CAA does have under dash vent system that has all the A/C stuff in the heater box. Check their website and you'll see it. 
The original heaters pulled fresh air from the cowl to heat the interior. They also provided a door on the passenger side to allow fresh air to the feet via the cowl. The driver side has a fresh air vent with a bowden cable for on/off and this air was fed directly from the cowl. 
The CAA unit has no fresh air inlet and all air, heated or cooled, is recirculate cabin air. The passenger side cowl opening gets a plate over the opening to plug it. 
For my 67 I plugged the passengers side fresh air as there was no way to use it. I kept the drivers side fresh air vent.
So to answer your question, unless you wish to have fresh air on the drivers side the cowl can be totally blocked off.

FYI, I could not live without fresh air on the drivers side. Windows are great, but fresh air and windows are the cat's meow. 

Last edited by RV6 (6/04/2020 4:52 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

6/05/2020 7:40 AM  #3

I installed the Vintage Air kit in my 65, with a stock 289. Both fresh air holes are plugged with there ABS covers. It has everything nicely packaged under the dash. My cabin gets cold now. The hoses come in two different designs dependent on how you want to route them. And it does exit through the old holes of the firewall. i feel this is a very clean conversion. i can get some pictures if you would like. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

6/06/2020 10:05 AM  #4

Cab4word67 wrote:

I installed the Vintage Air kit in my 65, with a stock 289. Both fresh air holes are plugged with there ABS covers. It has everything nicely packaged under the dash. My cabin gets cold now. The hoses come in two different designs dependent on how you want to route them. And it does exit through the old holes of the firewall. i feel this is a very clean conversion. i can get some pictures if you would like. 

Sure a few pics would be nice.  It's nice having options but then I tend to drive myself crazy trying to figure out which one to buy.  I did notice that CAA has a loction down the road from me in Tampa.

6/06/2020 5:24 PM  #5

This AC system would be easier to install, just sayin.....

6/07/2020 12:07 AM  #6

I use the old tried and true 460 air conditioning system. (4 windows down at 60 mph) Never had a problem.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

6/07/2020 8:45 AM  #7

I like the custom mirrors they installed too, mite be a hybrid?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

6/07/2020 8:58 AM  #8

Window AC is perfect and got to love the tow mirror to see around the AC unit.  lol

When I lived in Ohio I got away with no AC in my last build but here in Florida I need AC plus the wife already said it better have AC.

Spent most of yesterday pricing out all the body panels and suspension stuff I need to keep the project moving forward.

6/07/2020 9:13 AM  #9

I installed the Vintage A/C system in my 65 w/351W.  I used the V-Belt drive system and had to work out details with the right pulley arrangement.  You indicated you plan to use the serpentine belt system so this shouldn't be an issue.  The heater hoses use the same firewall openings as the OEM unit.  Fitting the new heater control valve involved same manipulation of elbows to install it in a location I found acceptable, behind the carburetor.
And yes, there are a lot of clamps, my plan is to replace them w/Gates heat shrink clamps, for now they don't leak and are partially hidden behind the carburetor.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/07/2020 1:28 PM  #10

BobE wrote:

I installed the Vintage A/C system in my 65 w/351W.  I used the V-Belt drive system and had to work out details with the right pulley arrangement.  You indicated you plan to use the serpentine belt system so this shouldn't be an issue.  The heater hoses use the same firewall openings as the OEM unit.  Fitting the new heater control valve involved same manipulation of elbows to install it in a location I found acceptable, behind the carburetor.
And yes, there are a lot of clamps, my plan is to replace them w/Gates heat shrink clamps, for now they don't leak and are partially hidden behind the carburetor.

Would be nice if the control valve was hidden more but I guess that's just one of those things you have to live with.

My research is leading me to the CAA set up.  They claim to cool better because they have bigger coils.  This could be a big deal living here in Florida.  lol

6/07/2020 3:09 PM  #11

RTM wrote:

BobE wrote:

Would be nice if the control valve was hidden more but I guess that's just one of those things you have to live with.

My research is leading me to the CAA set up.  They claim to cool better because they have bigger coils.  This could be a big deal living here in Florida.  lol

Having their shop locally would be a clincher for me.  I have a CAA in my car but it is a cable operated set, they have an electric one now which is preferable.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/08/2020 12:31 PM  #12

I should have mentioned that routing the duct tubing required some manipulations and changes as there isn't a lot of room behind the dashboard.  Now, getting to other items under the dash is  ... challenging. 

6/08/2020 1:24 PM  #13

Millions of years ago (1999) I bought a "daily driver" unit from NPD (made by Classic Auto Air) for my 66.  It had the Sanden compressor, under the dash evaporator, and condenser in front of the radiator.  It was not hard to install at all, other than the usual struggle getting the hoses routed under the dash without interfering with all the other stuff crammed under there.  I had a 289 when I installed it but it easily mounted to the 351W I put in later after drilling a couple more holes in the compressor mounting bracket.

I am pleased with it, although I have a convertible and don't use it all that often.

As far as fresh air from the cowl, you don't need it for the under-the-dash evaporators but you do still need it for heat and defrost functions using the "standard" Mustang controls as well as for the air vents for the driver and passenger side pull knobs.

Last edited by John Ha (6/08/2020 1:29 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

6/08/2020 2:35 PM  #14

If I had to loose the fresh air on the drivers side there would be no AC installed. To accommodate the fresh air in my 67 I ended up buying repro 67 vents for both driver and passenger sides. The cheap little vents supplied with the kit are damn near impossible to install and basically suck large time.
The 3 groove crank pulley would not work for my setup. I ended up getting an original 1967 3 groove pulley.
As stated in a previous post the hoses are a pain to run. The instructions give no info on hose placement and the hoses came in pre-cut lengths. The defrost and center vent hoses worked, although to long and had to cut. The passenger and drivers side vent I had to buy separate as the supplied duct hoses were to short.
The heater/evaporator box barely fits under the dash and was a real pain to fit. 
How does it work? This weekend we ventured into 99 degree temps and the AC worked well. I said a lot of bad words working with this kit and I don't like everything about the kit, but in the long run it works. 

6/08/2020 6:29 PM  #15

RV6 wrote:

If I had to loose the fresh air on the drivers side there would be no AC installed.  

Which brand did you use Gary?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/08/2020 6:57 PM  #16

John Ha wrote:

Millions of years ago (1999) I bought a "daily driver" unit from NPD (made by Classic Auto Air) for my 66.  It had the Sanden compressor, under the dash evaporator, and condenser in front of the radiator.  It was not hard to install at all, other than the usual struggle getting the hoses routed under the dash without interfering with all the other stuff crammed under there.  I had a 289 when I installed it but it easily mounted to the 351W I put in later after drilling a couple more holes in the compressor mounting bracket.

I am pleased with it, although I have a convertible and don't use it all that often.

As far as fresh air from the cowl, you don't need it for the under-the-dash evaporators but you do still need it for heat and defrost functions using the "standard" Mustang controls as well as for the air vents for the driver and passenger side pull knobs.

With Vintage air system you delete the fresh air ports. I thought later I would still want them but you alway have the vent windows and they work very well when you dont have AC on or do have the heat/defrost on. The other day I got cought in a rain storm and just flipped on the defrost and the windshild was clear in seconds. If you have a power sterring conversion you may need there PS pump bracket too.

6/09/2020 4:43 AM  #17

Hopefully I'm not stuck at work all day like yesterday.  I will call CAA and ask a few questions.  Everything is out of my car right now and I haven't even welded the cowl back on yet.  I will be using the CVFsetup and the only down side to using them is the AC appears to be on the opposite side from where CAA installs it.

As for the air vents in the cowl.  Its not that I'm worried about loosing them.  I kind of like the clean look of not having them.  So I figured I would research the AC and the need for the vents now before I weld the new cowl back on the car.  I'm even considering welding the line between the back window and trunk for a solid clean look.

6/09/2020 6:35 AM  #18

With the Vintage setup in the 65-66 Mustangs, you could leave the fresh air vent installed on the drivers side as it does not impact the new system.  However it does further complicate routing the new duct hose.

6/09/2020 6:43 AM  #19

Hi , it's about 3 years that i use vintage air sure fit for my fb 66 . I will be picky about some features that i dislike .  Start with cowl air inlet . i close it as suggested but repent myself on mid season when i would like only some breeze coming in instad using ac . i can say leave as is . you don't see it . 
One thing i dislike are pipe routing . The inside unit has all exit on left side . good for pipe on the left . give some issue for both on rigth . There no space under there and wipers brackets move are to remember not to touch pipe . 
System do not have a simply " fan only " operating .  Ac is on or off  only .
V belt is not top choice , but i see you has already thought on serpentine ... A +   
Hot summer days + stuck on highway will be a challenge for ac and also for water temp .  more is temp less it will work . 
The ac radiator in front of water rad . has influence on whole engine bay heat .  Everything is good when you run ,   different story in trafic jam. 
I add electric fan for safe , still use belt fan . 
At max speed fan is noisy . This is a little thing but after hours of highway ... can disturb .
Now the good things: instructions are really well done , step by step , with templates . A breeze to set up .
you can choose brackes for pass or drive side compressor mount . this yor choice . 
i have no one issue since i use it . Only extreme hot can give some . 
imho next time i will bet on classic auto air . Maybe still in time to evaluate . 
bye 

6/09/2020 7:26 AM  #20

Bearing Bob wrote:

RV6 wrote:

If I had to loose the fresh air on the drivers side there would be no AC installed.  

Which brand did you use Gary?

Custom Auto Air

6/09/2020 8:53 AM  #21

BobE wrote:

Looks good, I like idea of hiding hose clamps behind carb.
You might be able to eliminate a few hose clamps by using a water pump bypass hose.
They made it in 5/8-5/8 as well as 5/8-3/4 .

6/09/2020 8:54 AM  #22

BobE wrote:

You might be able to eliminate a few hose clamps by using a water pump bypass hose.

6/11/2020 8:03 AM  #23

Nos681 wrote:

BobE wrote:

I had to use plastic elbows as the runs were so short, I couldn't make the 180 degree turns in the space available.  I purchased several "pre-bent" 90 degree hoses I found on the 'Gates' website.  They offer different lengths (like up to 18" long, if I remember correctly) so I was able to eliminate some additional clamps.  Found these hoses on Amazon and Jegs.

Last edited by BobE (6/11/2020 8:06 AM)

6/13/2020 7:47 AM  #24

You can really clean up the valve hoses by using foxbody 5/8” heater hoses that have molded bends. They make for a really neat install.  Maybe Al McGee will post some pics of the ones I installed on his 65 with 351w.

I think the need for fresh air vents depends on where you live.  In Texas, we have very few mild temperature days, so the AC is usually on MAX or the heater is on.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/13/2020 8:14 AM  #25

Steve is right about the are where you live, and the car! Convertibles have a great big fresh air vent when the top is down.
 I eliminated both left and right vents with my CAA install. The right one had to go as per install instructions, the left one mostly because of lack of real estate for all the AC outlet hoses and the EPAS install.
 Before AC the vents sure were a bonus but I do not miss them since I got cold air.

Last edited by Rudi (6/13/2020 10:44 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.