FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2020 5:10 AM  #1

Duraspark Question

I have a 69 mustang that has a recently rebuilt 351w engine with an Edelbrock Top end kit producing about 400hp. I want to upgrade to a Duraspark system using the large cap connenctors. The distributors for this are all over the board price wise. If the Dist will need recurved anyways to match the cam profile and is a weekend nice day driver only why would it matter if I get a $400 unit or a newelt rebuilt $60 cardone unit does it really matter besided looks ?

Also, Is there a Dist out there that short like the OEM ones as most after market ones are to tall? 

Last edited by Boss980 (6/18/2020 5:22 AM)

6/18/2020 5:25 AM  #2

Re: Duraspark Question

Speaking strictly from my own experience, I have had absolutely no problems with the reman units from the local auto supply store (I've bought from Autozone and O'Reilly's).  I did not care for the large caps though and prefer to run the smaller caps.  It's neater to my eye - your preference may differ.  

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

6/18/2020 6:08 AM  #3

I would avoid anything made in China.  There are a lot of cheap billet distributors made there.  I'd rather have a reman that was originally made and then rebuilt in the US.  The quality will be better.

To be honest I question what all they do when they rebuild a distributor.  I've never seen a rebuild kit for one, making me wonder if they actually replace bushings, etc.  It may just be a case of checking that it doesn't have any abnormal play, making sure the advance mechanism is free, and calling it "rebuilt".

Point being, you can do that with a junkyard distributor.  I tend to trust my own eyes/hands over those of a business that's rebuilding hundreds of parts a week.  How long do they really spend with each one? 

6/18/2020 7:23 AM  #4

These guys have a reasonable name for durasparks. Give them your cam card and other specs, and they'll send you a rebuilt one with a curve to suit.
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/products

Last edited by 50vert (6/18/2020 3:09 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

6/18/2020 9:03 AM  #5

Al McGee has one of the high performance rebuilt Duraspark distributors (Never installed) like the one I am using for sale.  I cannot remember the name of the company!!! Used to be Jacob, I think.
Be sure to use proper gear for your cam material.

Also, I have a nice MSD billet one listed on swap meet page for cheap.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/18/2020 9:15 AM  #6

Ah, Finally someone who could benefit from a really nice Duraspark with a performance curve already installed.  If you want pics of what I have send me your email and I almost guarantee you we can come to a price mutually beneficial.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

6/18/2020 10:58 AM  #7

I have a reman'd Motorcraft in mine. No issues so far. The guys gave you a few choices here, Rock auto is another possibility. I would select Motorcraft brand, if available.  Agree with Steve about the distributor gear. Stay away from a bronze gear. Your chances of being stranded on side of the road increase dramatically. The guys here can talk you through a recurve if you want to try it yourself. 

There is a guy on Facebook and several other forums that will sell you a distributor set up with the right curve and gear if you want to go that route. It's Faron Rhodes. You can contact him at totalperfentofpa@aol.com" I haven't used him, but he seems to get a  lot of favorable reviews. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/18/2020 2:51 PM  #8

Thanks for the Suggestions Guys  

6/18/2020 4:40 PM  #9

I tried to go the cheap route first and struck out. I ended up with a new Spectrum from Oreiley's a couple of years ago. I'm still trying to educate myself and recurve it. If'n I had to do over again I'd listen to these guys. I'd stay away from the Cardone stuff. Their stuff never seems to last very long.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/18/2020 9:32 PM  #10

Got mine from Poop Boyz many moons ago and have had zero issues. Re-built Duraspark. I swapped out the gear for a steel one that's compatabile with a Roller. (love say'in that!!! Roller Cam! )
Get the one from Big Al  OR...Rock Auto and I'll/we'll talk you right thru the recurve stuff. (simple)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/18/2020 9:58 PM  #11

I used an Accel Blueprint (remanufactured) Duraspark on my 289 and never had issues.

A rebuilt Duraspark will last like forever.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.