FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2020 11:50 AM  #26

Re: Strange change in oil pressure 351c

I had a buddy who was so cheap he refused to buy a new oil pump pickup tube/screen.  Well right after he started his freshly built 460 he lost oil pressure.  He had to pull the engine back out of his 71 fastback and inspect it.  Turns out part of the old valve stem seal and worked its way into the oil pump and locked it up.   Under the flat cover over the screen was full of old seals.  I said I told you so!

8/29/2020 11:57 AM  #27

Okay Il put in pictures when the build starts. If you are not revving the engine over 6500 rpm the oiling system will do just fine without any mods. If you build a race application its a different story. When to car meeting today, the oil pressure is just fine:-)

8/29/2020 12:45 PM  #28

I've never done anything exotic to the oil system in any engine I've ever built.  Standard volume/pressure pump, which I always check clearances in.  Since I started using Melling pumps every one has checked out perfect.  Basically they are blueprinted from the factory.  The only thing I'll do is drill the cover bolts, pickup bolts, and pump to block bolts for safety wire.  A good bit will even drill through ARP hardware.  Many would consider it overkill, but I view it as cheap insurance.  Any of that stuff comes loose and its bye bye engine. 

I've added stand pipe style vents to some engines to better control oil drainback (keep it off the rotating assembly).  I'll epoxy trash screens in the lifter valley drains, so if something breaks in the top end it keeps the big chunks out of the bottom end.  Other than that its just make sure everything is clean.  I spend a good hour cleaning a block before assembly.  I use hot water to prevent flash rusting, and some dish soap, followed by a thorough flush.  I go through each passage a good 20-30 times with brushes.  Then blow everything dry with filtered compressed air.  A little WD40 on machined surfaces to prevent rust.  The last engine I did I took the time to Glyptal to crankcase, valley, timing cover area, and bellhousing area to seal the casting.  Then I painted the outside and baked the block for two hours at 200 degrees.  Again, overkill?  Probably, but all it takes is one little piece of slag, casting sand, etc. to run through the bearings and you've got problems. 

From my experience and reading SBC, BBC, SBF, and BBF engines have good oiling systems and don't need work.  You get into stuff like Buicks, Pontiacs, etc. the oil system needs help for performance use. 

8/29/2020 5:31 PM  #29

I always used the hottest water I could run along with a very rich mixture of Tide laundry detergent.  That stuff is an extreme  surfactant and really floats away the crud.  When I rebuilt the RX7 years ago I worked with Racing Beat in SoCal.  They said to be sure to clean the freshly lapped side plates well.  I told them my process and they said that's exactly how  they did it...at least twice.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (8/29/2020 5:33 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.