FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2021 8:01 PM  #51

Re: I have decided to change my custom wiring harness around. 1966 289 cou

Awesome thanks everyone. Has anyone here tried painting or taping the inside of the stock 65 gauge housing? I've seen a few guys do it on their 73-87 chevy clusters man what a difference. Also Bullet Bob haven't actually seen the mod for the gas gauge that you've made. On that note I was molling around the idea of adding a low fuel light to my car. I wasn't sure if I should get a later sending unit for convenience package mustangs. And if I'd need to buy a aftermarket switch like I've seen offered for the 67-69 Camaros.

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/28/2021 8:08 PM)

2/28/2021 8:23 PM  #52

True74yamaha wrote:

Awesome thanks everyone. Has anyone here tried painting or taping the inside of the stock 65 gauge housing? I've seen a few guys do it on their 73-87 chevy clusters man what a difference. Also Bullet Bob haven't actually seen the mod for the gas gauge that you've made. On that note I was molling around the idea of adding a low fuel light to my car. I wasn't sure if I should get a later sending unit for convenience package mustangs. And if I'd need to buy a aftermarket switch like I've seen offered for the 67-69 Camaros.

Do you know of a source for the low fuel warning sender?  The originals used a special sender as far as I know.  Wsinsley on this forum has made a few and he may have one available.  His work great with a stock sender and also have an adjustable CVR on the same board so you can calibrate the gauge to actually tell you something.  You might PM him and then PM me your email adddy and I'll forward the Gas Gauge Gage instructions/templates that allow you to set your sender/gauge up to show empty when you get down to two or three gallons.  Then you adjust Walt's circuit to turn on a warning light at the same point.  It's saved my fanny a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (2/28/2021 8:24 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/01/2021 4:07 PM  #53

Bullet Bob wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

Do you know of a source for the low fuel warning sender?  The originals used a special sender as far as I know.  Wsinsley on this forum has made a few and he may have one available.  His work great with a stock sender and also have an adjustable CVR on the same board so you can calibrate the gauge to actually tell you something.  You might PM him and then PM me your email adddy and I'll forward the Gas Gauge Gage instructions/templates that allow you to set your sender/gauge up to show empty when you get down to two or three gallons.  Then you adjust Walt's circuit to turn on a warning light at the same point.  It's saved my fanny a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention.

Awesome thank you so much again Bullet Bob. I havent found a source for the low fuel light module or what ever it is. I can purchase the stock sending unit online from rock auto. The low fuel module I have found works for 67 and 68-69 camaros. They advertise is as kinda a universal low fuel light module. 

Last edited by True74yamaha (3/01/2021 4:13 PM)

3/01/2021 4:16 PM  #54

RTM wrote:

I admire those that are good with wiring. You guys make it look so easy.

I’ve been trying to decide if I should have my stock harness reworked and updated to accept ac or install a completely new wiring setup. I’m not an electrician and only know enough to get myself in trouble.

Go for it wire that bad boy up ive been able to find nearly all wiring terminals and connectors for my 65. I even have a ton of extra parts if you are interested I could help ya out building the harness. 

3/01/2021 6:00 PM  #55

True74yamaha wrote:

RTM wrote:

I’ve been trying to decide if I should have my stock harness reworked and updated to accept ac or install a completely new wiring setup. I’m not an electrician and only know enough to get myself in trouble.

Go for it wire that bad boy up ive been able to find nearly all wiring terminals and connectors for my 65. I even have a ton of extra parts if you are interested I could help ya out building the harness. 

I just might hold you to that offer.

3/01/2021 7:59 PM  #56

If you can do the quality of work you're doing, you can sure as HELP do a little wiring!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/02/2021 12:45 AM  #57

When ever anyone wants help I'm willing to lend a helping hand. Plus I love old cars I cant get enough of them.

3/02/2021 12:51 AM  #58

RTM wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

RTM wrote:

I just might hold you to that offer.

What kinda wiring setup are you thinking about for your coupe? Stock like with the factory firewall plugs?

3/02/2021 8:47 AM  #59

RTM wrote:

The Vintage A/C system does not use any existing wiring to operate.  You do need to connect to the battery with Vintage supplied wiring (and circuit breaker) and to the ignition switch.  I connected the circuit breaker to the battery side of the starter solenoid.  So, there isn't any additional load on the OEM wiring.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/02/2021 1:40 PM  #60

RTM wrote:

I admire those that are good with wiring.  You guys make it look so easy.

I’ve been trying to decide if I should have my stock harness reworked and updated to accept ac or install a completely new wiring setup.  I’m not an electrician and only know enough to get myself in trouble.

Factory a/c power was a fuse tapped off ignition switch threaded terminal....at least that’s how it is on mine.

3/02/2021 1:49 PM  #61

True74yamaha wrote:

I did on my 65 with factory 5 gauge setup.  The only part I didn’t repaint was the panel that was painted to make the lighting even across the gauges.  I replaced my bezel and painted the backside flat white.  The chrome plating does not reflect light as well.  Thank goodness for old magazine articles that used to read.

Just be gentle and prepare for broken plastic if plan to reuse original bezel.  Also watch for small pieces of rubber, foam, and the cardboard turn signal tubes.  Mine was very tired so it was replaced.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/02/2021 1:59 PM)

3/02/2021 1:55 PM  #62

Still using regular incandescent bulbs...all were replaced prior to final install. I think one was burned out during initial testing.

The red is from tail lights on garage door.
I used Mother’s plastic polish I had left for plastic headlights to clean up original lens.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/02/2021 2:01 PM)

3/02/2021 7:44 PM  #63

To be honest I don’t know enough about what I need or what I want to answer any of the questions.   I’m pretty sure I would like to keep the factory firewall plugs.   After market instrument cluster and of course AC which appears to not be an issue.

So I’m open to any advice or options.

3/02/2021 8:09 PM  #64

RTM wrote:

To be honest I don’t know enough about what I need or what I want to answer any of the questions. I’m pretty sure I would like to keep the factory firewall plugs. After market instrument cluster and of course AC which appears to not be an issue.

Are you looking to do a modern sound system or any modern conveniences?

3/02/2021 8:24 PM  #65

Im sorta at a loss I cant decide what center console to use in my car. I have a humphugger with dual cup holders it fits nice between my 13' GT Seats I just am trying to decided if I want to keep it and modify it for my ebrake handle, or if I should buy a new center console that has the ebrake integrated into the design of the console. I have a 2015 Mustang and I like the styling of the console im debating buying one and installing it in my 1965 Mustang.  I will still have to modify either console I want to install my power window and lock switch in my center console I think. 

3/03/2021 6:56 AM  #66

True74yamaha wrote:

RTM wrote:

To be honest I don’t know enough about what I need or what I want to answer any of the questions. I’m pretty sure I would like to keep the factory firewall plugs. After market instrument cluster and of course AC which appears to not be an issue.

A simple sound system but not over the top.  I would like to install an upgraded headlight system too.

3/03/2021 11:47 AM  #67

RTM wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

RTM wrote:

A simple sound system but not over the top. I would like to install an upgraded headlight system too.

Bob, PM me your email addy and I'll shoot you some diagrams to give some food of thought.

BB1

3/03/2021 12:03 PM  #68

3/03/2021 6:54 PM  #69

I was wondering what size diameter is a 1965-66 mustang clock, and tachometer? I  have always wanted to build a custom cluster but with stock gauges. The fomoco gauges just look so much cooler than aftermarket. 

3/05/2021 11:05 PM  #70

Is a stock 65-66 mustang clock and tach like 2- 1/8" diameter? I am going to build a custom gauge cluster thought itd look cool with like the clock built into it.

3/08/2021 11:03 AM  #71

Just providing a status update on my fuse panel instillation.  Wiring is done, completed testing the circuits, still need to clean things up.
Two pics are from "in progress" stage, and one pic is the fuse panel installed in the glove box.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/08/2021 1:14 PM  #72

BobE wrote:

Just providing a status update on my fuse panel instillation.  Wiring is done, completed testing the circuits, still need to clean things up.
Two pics are from "in progress" stage, and one pic is the fuse panel installed in the glove box.

Looks like a clean install.

3/08/2021 11:29 PM  #73

Very cool install BobE thanks for sharing!

3/09/2021 11:31 AM  #74

BobE......looks like 'you-da-man'  when't  comes to war'in!!....Nice work
Very purdy
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/09/2021 4:59 PM  #75

Bob E:  That's a very nice PDB...or would that be called a Power Distribution Panel....either way does it have a source/name?  Very nice install

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.