FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2020 7:02 AM  #1

Tearing down the 351c :-)

Okay here goes :-)

Im staring to tear down the 351c, going roller cam but no stroke this time.  Of course the valve tool broke when I tried to get the first valve out. I made a special one of my own, using the old one :-) Engine is comming out tonight maybe. Parts are ordedred from Summit. Cam is Howard Roller suggested by Howard himselfEngine:  Camshaft Type: Hydraulic RollerBasic
RPM Range: 1600 to 5600  They say it will push to 6000
Valve Lift Intake: .571
Valve Lift Exhaust: .577
Duration Intake: 270
Duration Exhaust: 278
Duration at 050 Intake: 217
Duration at 050 Exhaust: 225
Lobe Separation: 110
Intake Centerline: 106

Last edited by Mach173 (9/15/2020 7:06 AM)

9/15/2020 9:16 AM  #2

Re: Tearing down the 351c :-)

That’s a snazzy tool you made.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/15/2020 9:22 AM  #3

Look at those exhaust ports! /drool

9/15/2020 9:46 AM  #4

cool pics...........keep'm coming!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/15/2020 10:13 AM  #5

Thanks more photos as I progress :-)

Heads looks okay :-)

Last edited by Mach173 (9/15/2020 10:16 AM)

9/19/2020 12:58 AM  #6

Okay 351c is out

Question around the K member and so is good to weld in some plates for more stability ?  Btw one motor mount was really bad engine was sitting 7 mm lower on one side. Otherwise everything looked good:-)

9/19/2020 4:52 AM  #7

I don't think I'd worry about it.  The early cars don't even have one.  There's a tubular brace that bolts between the frame rails instead.  Looks like the later cars are already beefed up from the factory. 

9/19/2020 6:06 AM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

I don't think I'd worry about it.  The early cars don't even have one.  There's a tubular brace that bolts between the frame rails instead.  Looks like the later cars are already beefed up from the factory. 

Great Thanks 

9/19/2020 2:34 PM  #9

Cool pics!!!
NOW would be a great time to hide all those wires and maybe even move the battery to the trunk!   Fill the holes in the firewall grind/sand and smooth and rattle can spray that under hood area with a satin black or.....spray it body color!
(Just trying  to help you spend money and make a 3 weekend project stretch out to a 6 months project!
I mean.....what are friends for, right?!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/19/2020 7:21 PM  #10

You will love that cam choice it will be quite strong.

I have a suggestion on the timing cover since you have it apart.  Grind the old threaded areas flat on the back side. Weld 5/16” threaded nuts to the back side where the water pump bolts go through the plate.  The factory’s swedged threads are prone to stripping out.  That makes the water pump bolts get a much tighter grip to the plate.  If you have ever had one strip out after you are all done and installing the water pump to the plate, you will realize the benefit of doing this ahead of time.

This is akin to installing 5/16” helicoils to the aluminum timing cover on 289-302-351w engines.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/20/2020 12:48 AM  #11

Well thanks guys, Im thinking of leaving the hoses and wires as they are. Im okay with them but will see.

Timing cover is an aftermarket style. It has bolts welded already and I think its aluminium also T56 or something bought it from Australia years ago.

I hope the cam will make it move better, othervise its supercharger time :-)

9/20/2020 8:07 PM  #12

Mach 173   just a side note......
Did you ever "tailor" your ignition timing?!  Total advance about 34-36 degrees all in by 2000 RPM?!
Just wondering. A LOT of times this really wakes up an engine.
6sally6

9/21/2020 12:03 AM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Mach 173 just a side note......
Did you ever "tailor" your ignition timing?! Total advance about 34-36 degrees all in by 2000 RPM?!
Just wondering. A LOT of times this really wakes up an engine.
6sally6

Yes Timing is as good as it gets. MSD Pro billet with special weight from FBO, Initial timing is 20 and mechanical advance is 14 , Timing curve suggested by CHI who made the heads. One  silver spring and one blue spring, lighter springs makes the jumpy on idle. Probably do it all over again with the cam Change :-)

9/21/2020 8:47 AM  #14

Were you having problems with the engine prior to being pulled?

9/21/2020 8:57 AM  #15

What compression does the motor have?

9/21/2020 12:39 PM  #16

No problems with the engine, just a lack of torque. Switching to a roller cam suggest by Howards. Compression is spot on 10.1 with 65cc Heads 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.