FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2020 2:20 PM  #1

Biggest Radiator in a 5.0 Swap?

5.0 swapped into a 1966 coupe....

So what't the biggest radiator I can fit in the car w/ a shroud.  MS I saw the write up you did on swapping a 1967-69 24" radiator into a '65.  The width would work but the thickness isn't close to working.  I'd have to find a way to seat the radiator forward by at least an inch.  This is the radiator I have now:

https://www.becool.com/product/downflow-radiator-direct-fit-natural-finish-60-65-falcon-futura-rancho-squire-64-66-ford

It came w/ the car.  I didin't choose it.  I imagine it was chosen for fit more than performance.  I have a 16 inch electric fan and I have maybe 1/4" between the spinning water pump hub from up of the engine and the fan.  It was the lowest profile fan I could find.  

expressionless face emojis

The current radiator w/ the fan is able to hold temp but if I idle for too long the temp will start to go up.  I have a 180 deg thermostat.  I drove about 100 miles this past weekend at 60-70 mph no problem but got caught in an idle traffic jam for 30 min and the temp got past 220 deg and had to pull over.

I'd rather address the issue once and for all and upgrade the radiator and not worry about it.  Ideally, i'd find a way to get 20" wide as opposed to the 17" I have now AND still have a fan.

thanks

9/21/2020 8:02 PM  #2

Re: Biggest Radiator in a 5.0 Swap?

I’m running a two row 1” tubes aluminum radiator for a 65 w/289 (non staggered) on my 5.0 and a 14” electric fan.
Both from Summit Racing.
Fan is on via relay when ignition is on.

I don’t have a/c yet either.
I haven’t had cooling issues, just power steering pump.

9/22/2020 7:22 AM  #3

“ I imagine it was chosen for fit more than performance.“

There, you have it.

If you trim the core support per the article, the 24” radiator fits perfectly.   I understand some might not want to cut their core support

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/22/2020 7:47 AM  #4

My Cooling System Details …

• Aluminum Radiator: Summit SUM-380461 (Manufactured by “Northern”)
  • [list=circle]
  • Installs in the stock location.
  • Core dimensions: W15.625”x H 17.375”x D 2.25”
  • Inlet & outlet on Passenger Side

• Flow Kool Water Pump (#1680)
  • Electric Fan: Spal 16” single-speed #30102120
  • No Fan shroud.
  • DCC Fan Controller #FK45
  • 180° Thermostat

•  Note that I had to slightly trim the nose of the water pump to avoid contact with the electric fan.  There is about 1/4" gap now.
    I have a Vintage AC system and have been in stop-and-go city traffic w/AC on w/o any temperature rise.   If I had to do it over, I'd use the 24" wide radiator as MS describes.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/22/2020 11:25 AM  #5

Last night I took a look at my older Hayden 16” electric fan.
    You may want to verify if blades are in stalled correctly, especially if fan blade can be flipped over like mine.
    And check rotation when installed is correct too.

This fan could be used as a puller fan (behind radiator) or pusher fan ( in front of radiator).
    Just a thought.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/22/2020 11:31 AM)

9/24/2020 9:43 PM  #6

Take a look at this information.

https://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=10311

10/30/2020 12:24 AM  #7

Just curious I, I am running an injected 5.0 with the reverse flow water pump with and old 70ish radiator with a couple of electric fans.  I don't have any trouble overheating at all but I recently discovered coolant being blown out of the overflow tube under the cap while it is running.  I was wondering if it is caused by the flow direction?  

10/30/2020 6:45 AM  #8

Raven62 wrote:

Just curious I, I am running an injected 5.0 with the reverse flow water pump with and old 70ish radiator with a couple of electric fans.  I don't have any trouble overheating at all but I recently discovered coolant being blown out of the overflow tube under the cap while it is running.  I was wondering if it is caused by the flow direction?  

Flow direction should be the same, just that the rotation of the water pump is reversed.  Does it blow out the overflow tube all the time or only after you top it off?  Most of these are happy if you run the radiator about an inch below the sealing flange of the cap.  Otherwise you'll either always have a little blow out until it finishes expanding or you'll need to run a recovery tank to catch that expanded coolant.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/30/2020 7:09 AM  #9

I have 69 Mustang and I swapped in a 5.0 Fox Body Radiator in mine.  Had do some trimming on the core.  I think I Paid like $90 for the radiator.  It works really well. 

Last edited by Steve69 (10/30/2020 7:09 AM)

10/30/2020 3:08 PM  #10

10/30/2020 10:52 PM  #11

BB1,
    Thanks for the reply and explanation.  I was thinking that I may have to switch to a cross flow radiator of some sort.  Like I mentioned earlier I haven't had any heating problems, so I didn't want to mess with it.  Thanks again.
    Greg

10/31/2020 3:53 PM  #12

I need to decide on the 24 inch mod to my radiator support.  I have a 418(stroked 351W) and plan on running AC and live in Southern Florida.  Not sure I want to go that route just yet but don't want to have to go that route after I build the car either.

10/31/2020 4:35 PM  #13

I did the mod per MS instructions. No problems with over heating when cruising in the Alabama summer heat. At least you have options other than stock.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.