FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2020 3:27 PM  #1

1992 5.0 EFI w/ T/5 conversion into 65 wiring play by play needed

Hi, Guys

Been a while!  Hope y'all are doing well!

I am trying to button up the 65 (with 66 wiring) my son and I have been working on.  The motor runs and we have made it move, but at the moment there are 6 wires hooked to the 1965 starter solenoid, wires running all over the place, even through the windshield (no glass)  and no gauges plugged in working. The key components on the motor have the original fusible links in place .  I am assuming that I need to add a power distribution block Can anyone direct me to a wiring play by play plan for this conversion please?  I need ideas and to make sure the job is done safely, and properly fused.  He wants me to send it to California when he gets back from deployment so I have about 6 months to make it a driver and get it ready for him to help with the bodywork while he is on leave.

I am not particularly interested on dropping the money on a pre-fab wire harness because I've heard they are not great.  I DO have the original under dash harness and the engine compartment harness that powers the lights, but i appear to be missing the motor side harness to the '65 (66) that would connect the gauges to the sensors.  I want to hear y'all's suggestions before I track that down.

NOTE  we switched the under dash harness to a 66 to use the 66 gauges.  

Any suggestions/comments welcome!
Thanks!
Deb

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

10/09/2020 6:17 PM  #2

Re: 1992 5.0 EFI w/ T/5 conversion into 65 wiring play by play needed

Deb, you have a PM.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/09/2020 7:15 PM  #3

.....The "prodigal son/daughter" RETURNZ!!!

6sally6
We be fix you up, gurrrrll!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/10/2020 8:08 AM  #4

6sally6 wrote:

.....The "prodigal son/daughter" RETURNZ!!!

6sally6
We be fix you up, gurrrrll!

Howdy, Sally!!!

Still frying’ bacon like a pro! Wish that skill could get me past this electrical issue though. First step is to move the computer to under the dash I think? 

I’m staring at this spaghetti mess of wires and walking away in disgust. I don’t know where to start with it.

The dash and heater box etc is completely disassembled so I have decent access to everything. The dash harness isn’t secured so that’s easy too.

Should I replace the old, glass fuse box with a new style?

10/10/2020 8:30 AM  #5

Hi Deb,,,  Emberglo fastback here,, that your shop had worked on,,  anyway I've used this place for  custom harness and questions with very good results.  Just another source for info if needed 
 https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/home/custom-wire-harnesses/

Last edited by Don (10/10/2020 8:31 AM)

10/10/2020 9:56 AM  #6

(Took me a second on the 'frying-bacon' statement!
IF the original wiring is not frayed and/or burnt I wouldn't replace the harness with an unknown deal....know what I mean?!
ABDFI
Relays for the hi/lo beam headlights....horn....electric fan...really eases the load on stock harness
Aux fuse block is a great idea especially if you have computer controlled stuff. I got one from West Marine and used it for cruise control....radio stuff...stuff like that. You could transfer some of the wiring load from the stock block (hey I made a poem! to it.
I have my new aux. block just laying on top of the heater box. (It won't fall off and it is out of the way.) I left all the wires going to it a few FEET long so when I DO need to access it I can just pull it from under the dash and ...while sitting in the pass. seat...I can make new connections or troubleshoot circuits without laying under the dash!
You DO KNOW that with a new hih torque starter... you prolly don't even need the old solenoid!
Now would be a good time to hide (or eliminate) some of the wiring under the hood.  Really makes a cleaner look. Just study the schematics to see what you can move /hide/consolidate.

(IF the engine is out....its REALLY a piece-of-cake.)

HEY!!!!!!...Great idea.  Whine-knott just take it over to MS's new garage and get him to do it...while you takes pictures/videos and post'em on here!!
Welcome back
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (10/10/2020 9:56 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/11/2020 10:10 AM  #7

Deb - send me a PM with your email address and I can forward some wiring diagrams.  
I made the same conversion, 66 harness to my 65, you need to not only use the under-dash wiring from the 66, but the under-hood wiring.  This in mainly due to the 66 having a ammeter, plus the 65 heater blower is a two-speed motor and the 66 uses a single-speed motor that uses a resistor block to offer 3-speeds selection.  I had installed the complete 66 heater 'box' and controls.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/11/2020 2:21 PM  #8

Thanks, Sally! I really would like to get rid of the glass fuses and have open spots for radio equipment etc...  I like that idea!

Noted, BobE. Will do!

10/12/2020 12:16 PM  #9

Preliminary findings are that I need, at least, the motor side original wire harness for the guages.  Is ording something like this a good or bad idea?  I don't have an original.  Of course it's the cheapest one...lol  Automotive Electrical is not my strong point.  I had to get out the owners manual to figure out how to hook up the battery when I was ready to start my 66 for the first time.. Give me 110v any day.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Mustang-Gauge-Feed-Wiring-Harness-with-8-cylinder-Engine/273532119817?fits=Year%3A1966%7CModel%3AMustang&epid=2016101923&hash=item3fafc8eb09:g:J1gAAOSw8gVX2bOu

10/12/2020 12:32 PM  #10

Can't add much to what's already being said about your issue (other than that harness you linked to should work), but welcome back!!!

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/12/2020 1:17 PM  #11

Thank you, John!!

Bullet Bob is going to help me sort out the spaghetti of the 5.0 harness.  Once I have some guidance there, and have a chance to actually clean it up a little, I'll post some 'before' photos.  Right now, I'm too embarrassed to.  All I can say is the car runs..........and moves under it's own power. 

10/12/2020 4:19 PM  #12

That’s what zip ties are for Deb.😁

Taking the factory wiring harness out of its loom to rewire...spaghetti is an understatement.

Bob’s the expert.

I used several sources to learn about the harness prior and during my project.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

http://web.archive.org/web/20110430180836/http://fordfuelinjection.com/

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/397/397-M-12071-A50.pdf

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/

Pictures will help...me at least.

Have fun!
Dan

Last edited by Nos681 (10/12/2020 4:22 PM)

10/12/2020 4:38 PM  #13

Deb wrote:

Thank you, John!!

Bullet Bob is going to help me sort out the spaghetti of the 5.0 harness. 

Bob is the go to guy for electrical. He'll have you amp'd up in no time.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/12/2020 8:03 PM  #14

Nos681 wrote:

Bob’s the expert.

Have fun!
Dan

Ex Spurt...evolution of a drip.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/12/2020 8:42 PM  #15

I always thought it was good to be called "the expert" and was glad to offer free advise. I charge for it now.

Ex = is a has been. Spurt = is a drip under pressure.

Last edited by HudginJ3 (10/12/2020 8:57 PM)

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/13/2020 10:13 AM  #16

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 Swap, GT40 Swap, EFI-MAF

Well I did just this.  Too long to go into the details but you really are better off just getting a full wiring kit. I bought the Ford EFI kit and the 1966 Mustang Chassis kit from Painless.  I also installed the Dakota Digital gauge set.  All in all just parts (wiring) ~$2400.  

Electrical work sucks.  No body likes to do it and you really can't get help from anyone else b/c it's impossible to track down problems w/o doing a deep dive.  Starting from scratch is the way to do it.  That way you know exactly what is there.  That's the bad news... good news is it's just a slow and steady job.  Work section by section.  Took me most 8 weeks of weekends on and off but I got it done.  Good crimper, good ground, good tape... 

Discussion forums help, but really what you are paying for is technical support.  Those painless guys are kind of assholes but you will get legit technical support rather than someone's best guess.  You need to think ahead to.  Going to add an audio system with an amp?  Going to run MDS setup? Electrical Fan?  A/C? Digitial Gauges???  Way easier to plan head now.

It wasn't easy but I ended up doing it all myself and because of exactly what you are trying to do.  The fool who wired the car before me just spliced and diced some junker cheapo harness to make it run and was a nightmare from the get go.  

I'm in the Dallas area.

10/14/2020 10:44 AM  #17

TremendousWand wrote:

Well I did just this.  Too long to go into the details but you really are better off just getting a full wiring kit. I bought the Ford EFI kit and the 1966 Mustang Chassis kit from Painless.  I also installed the Dakota Digital gauge set.  All in all just parts (wiring) ~$2400.  

Electrical work sucks.  No body likes to do it and you really can't get help from anyone else b/c it's impossible to track down problems w/o doing a deep dive.  Starting from scratch is the way to do it.  That way you know exactly what is there.  That's the bad news... good news is it's just a slow and steady job.  Work section by section.  Took me most 8 weeks of weekends on and off but I got it done.  Good crimper, good ground, good tape... 

Discussion forums help, but really what you are paying for is technical support.  Those painless guys are kind of assholes but you will get legit technical support rather than someone's best guess.  You need to think ahead to.  Going to add an audio system with an amp?  Going to run MDS setup? Electrical Fan?  A/C? Digitial Gauges???  Way easier to plan head now.

It wasn't easy but I ended up doing it all myself and because of exactly what you are trying to do.  The fool who wired the car before me just spliced and diced some junker cheapo harness to make it run and was a nightmare from the get go.  

I'm in the Dallas area.

All Duly Noted.  We are trying to stay cheap on this right now because he wants to have money for a good heat/ac system.  I have time to try to get it together before we rip it all out and start over, so if we can save some cash, great but we are ready to start from scratch if we have to.  I'll keep all your experience in mind..  Thanks!

10/14/2020 3:26 PM  #18

I would check out Ron Francis.  I've used several of their products for my '89GT.  They are located about 30 minutes from me, and seem to really know their stuff, plus build a good harness.  I've used the Painless stuff before and I have to say, it mostly wasn't.  Painless that is. 

http://www.ronfrancis.com/

10/14/2020 3:38 PM  #19

Deb wrote:

TremendousWand wrote:

I'm in the Dallas area.

All Duly Noted.  We are trying to stay cheap on this right now because he wants to have money for a good heat/ac system.  I have time to try to get it together before we rip it all out and start over, so if we can save some cash, great but we are ready to start from scratch if we have to.  I'll keep all your experience in mind..  Thanks!

Have you secured an ECU?  If so which one.  You really need to think ahead if you are going to be diverting away from stock.  If so, then spending the money on a tunable setup is worth the money.  They can get pricey, but then you can do it all yourself.  

That's the boat I'm in right now.  I need to get it tuned to get optimal performance but I'm just running a stock 1999 5.0 MAF ECU I picked up on ebay.  ECU is fine, but I'd have to take it apart and install a chip if I wanted to do the tuning myself.  Paying someone else gets pricey too so I've discovered.  

If you're funning A/C that fits on the bottom of the console then finding mounting location for the ECU will be more difficult as well as running the main engine harness.  If you are running 5 speed then you will have a hard time fitting kick panel speakers b/c of the clutch pedal too.  Just lots of little things you discover.

Also, definetly do the 3G alternator upgrade now.  So much easier and eliminates all that voltage regulator crap.  Also, relocating the battery to trunk makes running the air intake way easier.  

Last edited by TremendousWand (10/14/2020 3:40 PM)

10/14/2020 4:37 PM  #20

Yes, we converted the automatic to a T5 and installed the MS cable clutch.  My son did all the research in 2016 and ordered an ecu off ebay IIRC.  We had to change due to the manual transmission swap (or maybe it was the wrong year??).  We unwrapped and followed someone's formula for adapting it to his motor and transmission.  I'm not positive of the details, but we zip tied and labled all the various wire groups etc... It's been almost four years since we did it so I can't remember.

It is currently mounted under the dash just to the right and above the gas pedal.  A bracket for the ECU was cut out of the donor car and welded to the firewall so it's permanently mounted that way.  We thought we needed to bring it further inside and use the rubber grommet as the pass through, but after talking to Bullet Bob, we may not need to do that.  That's not a big deal, I can move it if need be.  It's the actual wiring relays and fuses and routing that I have limited experience with.  Also just knowing what needs to be fused, what amp fuses and what should be relayed.  Moving the battery to the back is a COOL idea.  I'm going to ask Ross what he thinks of that.  

10/14/2020 5:02 PM  #21

Pray all is well I have a painless wiring harness I may be willing to let go PM with a offer it’s new in the box I was holding on to in case I switch back to a stock 5.0 computer set up I LMK how you want it Or what parts you need I what I am say in my Cajun Ebonics let me know what to worth to you it will be easier to hide the harness most things that are not needed are already eliminated and it comes with a check engine light too lol it will be easier to diagnose with a good harness 

10/14/2020 8:51 PM  #22

Coupedaddy wrote:

Pray all is well I have a painless wiring harness I may be willing to let go PM with a offer it’s new in the box I was holding on to in case I switch back to a stock 5.0 computer set up I LMK how you want it Or what parts you need I what I am say in my Cajun Ebonics let me know what to worth to you it will be easier to hide the harness most things that are not needed are already eliminated and it comes with a check engine light too lol it will be easier to diagnose with a good harness 

Thanks!! I will absolutely remember that if our home made attempt doesn’t work! We are trying not to split with the dough just yet, but if I fail, that harness  will be my next plan. 🙂

10/15/2020 6:56 AM  #23

Deb wrote:

Moving the battery to the back is a COOL idea.  I'm going to ask Ross what he thinks of that.  

That will make running your intake super simple with the 5.0.  You just drop the air intake filter write where there battery was.
You can buy a solid battery case on ebay for just about any type of battery and mount it in the trunk right pocket where the spare tire was originally.  The power cable gets run along the passenger fender then through into passenger door sill and right into the back.  Heavy gauge wire fits no problem.  You can ground to the chasis in the trunk.  

I really have to find a way to post all these pics.  Might make it a weekend project to make a website.

10/15/2020 3:46 PM  #24

Hey Deb, 
I'm over here in Greenville if you ever want to take a look at a swap and poke around on it.
JamesW

www.midnightdsigns.com/james

10/15/2020 4:03 PM  #25

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Which brings up a good question....."How many of y'all..."

I have "heard" when splicing /making wiring connections...it's NOT recommended to solder butt joints butt...just crimp with butt connectors!  (used butt 3 times in one sentence! WOW! a record!)

I like to use the bare butt (no pun!) connectors AND solder them,  then...cover with heat shrink. Seems soldering the joints make them MORE likelt to break, because of the heat!?!
Opinions.......
6sally6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.