FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2020 6:18 PM  #1

Power enhancement options

This is about my 2007 FORD F-150. If I'm breaking the rules, please delete it. 

I got a hairbrained idea to put a supercharger or a turbo-charger on my 4.6 2v. There is no info or kits available for this year engine. I thought a mustang kit would work but am skeerd to persue itl for fear it would blow up. Thoughts?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/27/2020 6:40 PM  #2

Re: Power enhancement options

"Yoooooooooooooooo........you talk'in to us??!"
Trust me..............WE can spend your money$$$$!!!

First......how fresh is the 4.6?

I would think with enough time and $$$ a turbo (from a junkyard Ford??!) or complete engine (from same junkyard!?!) or after market unit.....they all would need going through to check for dependability.$$$$$$$$$

Aftermarket crate motor (gawd I hate to say it!) might be the best option.

If not.......you would need to gather everything from computer to air cleaner just to get started.$$$$$$$$$

Just for "S &G".....how bout an old skool approach and find a 471/671 blower with all the cool drive stuff and a couple 500cfm carbs on top!?! Prolly work better with a beefed up C-4 and small converter, instead of fighting with the stock computer-controlled tranny you have now.
Still need a re-build to get the 4.6 up to the task.$$$$$$$$

In all reality......a 125 shot fogger of nitrous might be the cheap-er way out. (STILL need that re-build because the pistons need to be forged....better camshaft(s)....bigger FI....................$$$$
I would love a ride in it though!!!!!!!!!!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/27/2020 9:19 PM  #3

10/27/2020 9:38 PM  #4

DON'T DO IT!!!  Buy a Lightning and be happy.

Butt (TS&T) KenneBell did make a blower kit for the two cam 4.6 back in 99 or 2002.  Before the 03 and 04 Cobra came along...as I recall.  A friend had one and said it was scarry.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/27/2020 9:41 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/28/2020 5:46 AM  #5

I'm sure it can be done.  I would contact Kenne Bell.  A buddy of mine has one of those on a '95 Cobra and it is sick.

Lightnings are great trucks, but most have been flogged really hard.  The good ones are still bringing top dollar.  I'm all for modding what you've already got. 

10/28/2020 9:31 PM  #6

The intent is to get more use out it with out the expense of a new one, not have a hot rod so much. It doesn't like to pull camping trailers and it didn't like driving through the mountains this past summer even without a trailer. I guess for modifying it a complete turboed or supercharged engine would be the way to go. I don't know what the deal is not by not having kits for that year truck. Is the engine worse structurly than earlier years or is it because it has only 2 valves? It will probably nerves happen but just courious.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/29/2020 4:50 AM  #7

Perhaps gear change would work?

I recall the 4.6 had less torque output than 5.0 in mustangs.

10/29/2020 6:44 AM  #8

The 4.6 definitely isn't a great choice for pulling.  The 5.4 is a better choice, but honestly if you really need to pull any gas engine at this point is going to play a very distant second fiddle to a Diesel.  If the trailer is light its overkill, but you can still find nice 6.0 trucks fairly cheap due to an incorrect belief that they are unreliable (258k on mine 138k of that making twice the factory power rating).  Sure there are issues, but they can be corrected and once that's done they are a powerful, reliable, vehicle that's still fairly uncomplicated, yet has all the modern conveniences.

Or hey, bolt the blower on the 4.6 and go.  No replacement for displacement?  BS, its called forced induction.

Question you need to ask about the 4.6 setup is whether or not everything else is up to snuff?  Tranny, cooling, etc.

10/29/2020 8:38 AM  #9

My previous comments not withstanding...Mrs. BB's cousin had a Toyota T100 back when, and bought a 18 or 20 food fifth-wheel trailer to pull behind it.  Same problem you are having.  so they added a TRD blower and happily pulled that trailer for many years.
I know what you mean about the 4.6 being a weak sister.  We bought our first travel trailer in '12.  It was a 19 footer that weight around 6K loaded.  We pulled on a six K trip up and down the left coast with my '97 F150/4.6.  Our friends were pulling a 28 foot, that probably was around 8K, with a '06 Toyota Tacoma and he would run off and hide from me just going up driveway aprons. 
So I did the same thing you want to do....sorta.  I bought the '13 F150 with 3.5 EB and moved up to a more comfortable 27 foot ultra lite.  The EB pulls like a little Diesel but, as I had to remind myself, it still only 3.5 going downhill and compression braking ain't much...gotta be careful. 
If you can find the parts, a small blower on the 4.6 would probably make you happy except for the expense.  Personally, I think the $$ and time would be better invested moving up to a used truck...maybe F250...with more motor.  Just sayin'.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/29/2020 8:40 AM  #10

Honestly, I'd get a new truck either used or brand new otherwise you're opening up a big can of worms. Not only will you have to fab the power adder kit, but you'll also need to tune it and then there's trans mods to keep up with the power, exhaust changes, emissions, etc etc. The snowball just keeps getting bigger and bigger as it rolls downhill

I gave up on my 2003 Supercrew with a 4.6 for towing. Matter of fact I am literally (as soon as I get off the computer) about to tow my 95 Lightning up to Cecil Country Dragway for a Lightning meet with my 2019 Supercrew 3.5 Ecoboost. Talk about a difference in power! 

10/29/2020 10:12 AM  #11

Raymond_B wrote:

2019 Supercrew 3.5 Ecoboost. Talk about a difference in power! 

My advice, Raymond, is to add at least two coil packs and a new throttle body, plus the few tools necessary to change them on the road...it's really not a major job...to your onboard tool box.  Don't ask how I came to appreciate those  things.

BB1

10/29/2020 10:45 AM  #12

If some help pulling is what you're after, swap the rear gears. What's in the truck now? 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/29/2020 3:32 PM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

My advice, Raymond, is to add at least two coil packs and a new throttle body, plus the few tools necessary to change them on the road...it's really not a major job...to your onboard tool box.  Don't ask how I came to appreciate those  things.

BB1

Are they prone to failure?  I guess they are or you wouldn't have made that comment .... My wife has a 3.5 Ecoboost in her Expedition and it's got just over 40k on it and- knock on wood- it has been totally trouble free so far.

10/29/2020 4:49 PM  #14

From what I read and from my own experience, YES, they are prone to failure.  But it may just be a result of working it hard for the coil packs and the TB is prone to failure due to moisture ingestion.  I have lost two coil pack while towing.  First was north of New Braunfels, TX while pulling a slight hill.  Second was in Utah on I-15, again, pulling a very shallow hill.  The first one AAA, Mustang Steve, and my extended warranty saved the day though we did have to spend an extra night.  When the second one happened I was ready for it.  Pulled off the road, read the code, pulled the engine cover, grabbed my 8mm nut driver and a new coil pack from the tool box.  Ten minutes later we were going down the road.
Throttle body died last year at the bash in Michigan.  BB2 arrived here with wheel bearing trouble...yeah, really!...so we left the Heap home and all three of us piled into the truck.  Drove through SERIOUS rain across Kansas.  Few days later on the way back from the Ford Museum the TB died.  Went to the Ford Dealer next morning and after they verified that I did have extended coverage and, yes, my code reader was correct, they replaced the TB. 

One of the service guys at my local dealer told me, "yeah , but none of these problem are really serious".  Duhhh!.. I explained that when you are 1000 miles from home, pulling a trailer, and it craps out....THAT'S SERIOUS!

I'm just saying, they do have a rep for these issues.  My friend's '11 has had similar trouble.  I replaced all the coil packs earlier this year and I still carry a spare.  Also will be carrying a spare TB next time we tow.  Incidentally, mine is a 2013 and all of this happened after 70k miles.
This can all be confirmed with a bit of on-line work.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/29/2020 4:50 PM)

10/30/2020 7:38 AM  #15

Not really surprising.  This is what you get with new vehicles with the degree of complexity demanded by EPA mandated fuel economy & lower emissions,and the consumer's demand for power.

No ignition problems with a Diesel...

10/30/2020 9:53 PM  #16

The axel is a 3.55 open. It has the 6700 GVWR package. The GCWR is 11700. I got it used in 2010 with 18000 miles on it now has 135000 on it. Haven't done anything unexpected to it except the factory recommended service and a new compressor and a new electric fan clutch. I did have a EB Explorer for a week when the Fusion broke. It had a lot of pep. Just listening and learning.   

Speaking of compression breaking = In 2018 we got the Fusion with a 2.3? four cylinder and took it to AZ. We were going  up and down steep mountain back roads and was able to put it in "granny" gear to creep up and down those hills with out breaking by using the "HILL" button.

10/31/2020 6:32 AM  #17

One of the big advantages of the newer Diesels is they finally have decent transmissions behind them.  Starting in '03 Ford began using the 5R110 (now they're on to the 6R something), which is a very tough trans compared to the E4OD it replaced.  Anytime I've got something heavy behind it I have the option to use Tow/Haul mode.  It does all the compression braking I've ever needed automatically.  The brakes on the truck are actually quite good, but Tow/Haul helps reduce wear on them.

6700GVWR seems really low, what does the truck weigh?  My F250 weighs 7,800lbs with me in it and some fuel.  I've had weigh tickets from the dump where the starting weight was close to 12,000lbs meaning I had over 2 tons in the bed.  It drove like there was no weight in it.

My towing weight its rated at something absurd like 20,000lbs.  I wouldn't want to pull that kind of weight with it any distance because its a SRW and they get squirrely on only two tires.  I routinely pull a dump trailer that with 2 tons of stone in it means its pulling 6,0000lbs.  Takes a bit more throttle on take off, but otherwise you'd hardly know its there.  I pulled a car trailer with a Land Rover on it for a buddy of mine once and three times during the trip kept wondering who the @$$hole in the lifted truck was that was tailgating me, until I remembered I was towing the truck.

Summation, your current ruck will tow your trailer, but what you want is something that will tow it like its not there.  A blower can get you more power, but its not going to make the trans better, the brakes better, the rear suspension better, etc.  At some point you have to step up to a rig that's really designed to tow.  A gas truck may fill that bill, but you're going to need something more like a 3/4 ton with a 5.4 with a tow package.  I would advise avoiding the V10s, they make no power and get bad fuel mileage.  The Diesel would be my go to choice, either a 6.0 that's been bulletproofed (that's a term in the 6.0 world), or the 6.7.  Avoid the 6.4, long story short, too many problems.

11/03/2020 12:29 PM  #18

Bullet Bob wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

BB1

OK wow! I just saw your post. I need to make sure I tick the notify me on replies box! I wish that was on by default. 

Anyway I got lucky, just did a ~3,000.00 mile round trip towing the Lightning to Maryland and back. I am going to get spares ASAP, thank you! 

Last edited by Raymond_B (11/03/2020 12:30 PM)

11/03/2020 1:39 PM  #19

Mine is a 2013, Raymond, so I have to say that it's possible that Ford has solved these problems that came with the '11 to '14's...I guess...it could happen...possibly...maybe.

BB1

11/03/2020 2:14 PM  #20

Glad it was a good trip with no issues.  FWIW Cecil is what I consider to be my home track.  Its only about 20-25 minutes away for me. 

11/03/2020 2:28 PM  #21

TKOPerformance wrote:

Glad it was a good trip with no issues.  FWIW Cecil is what I consider to be my home track.  Its only about 20-25 minutes away for me. 

So funny story. There's a group of Lightning guys (DeValo) that rent Cecil on the last Friday of October every year. They call it Spookfest (Halloween). Because I am good friends with a few of them and have just got my Lightning going I decided to attend this year.

Right before I left Tropical Storm Zeta delayed the race on Friday  the 30th, but the Cecil folks bumped a Kia meet on Sunday so we could still have the race. Great! I thought so I packed everything up and started to make the 1500 mile trip. Sadly the weather turned bad and they cancelled Sunday's race, which I found out on Saturday when I was 6 hours away from Cecil. 

I decided to drive on in and meet up with some of my buddies, show them the truck, and stay the night at the Best Western right there in Rising Sun. Sunday I got up and started the 1500 mile drive back  

Good points were the Ecoboost is a great tow motor, a 20' trailer with brakes on each axle was a great rental, and I got to see some pretty country along with hanging out (briefly) with some Lightning guys.

Bad points were, DC construction and traffic and Baltimore traffic... Although on the way back I went the rural way to Lancaster, then Harrisburg, and then 81 down until I hit 40W in Tennessee and finally 30 in to DFW. 

Also the hotel was awesome and put me in a room where I could see my truck. I was SOOOO paranoid something would happen to it. And not just in Maryland, the whole way!

11/03/2020 5:12 PM  #22

Lancaster is a decent area to drive through.  I always take the back way when I go to Carlisle, which takes me through there. 

11/04/2020 9:48 AM  #23

My BIL has a chip in his Dodge 'Dooley'. Its also a diesel too. He does A LOT of haul'in and uses the + power of the chip. On his the additional HP can be controlled by a 3 -way toggle switch  OFF- 50HP - 150HP. When haul'in he uses the +50 the most.
^^^^^^^^^^This could be an option.
6s6.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/04/2020 2:48 PM  #24

6sally6 wrote:

My BIL has a chip in his Dodge 'Dooley'. Its also a diesel too. He does A LOT of haul'in and uses the + power of the chip. On his the additional HP can be controlled by a 3 -way toggle switch OFF- 50HP - 150HP. When haul'in he uses the +50 the most.
6s6.

The diesels have a lot more options than a gas truck. Pretty much just keep adding fuel, sadly on the gasoline engines without mechanical mods it's hard to see the same changes.

11/04/2020 4:40 PM  #25

Raymond_B wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

My BIL has a chip in his Dodge 'Dooley'. Its also a diesel too. He does A LOT of haul'in and uses the + power of the chip. On his the additional HP can be controlled by a 3 -way toggle switch OFF- 50HP - 150HP. When haul'in he uses the +50 the most.
6s6.

The diesels have a lot more options than a gas truck. Pretty much just keep adding fuel, sadly on the gasoline engines without mechanical mods it's hard to see the same changes.

Yep, on a gas truck you may see a 20HP bump in a turbo application if you can hold the wastegate closed longer with tuning, but you'll typically run out of injector fairly quickly, and the stock turbos are too small to move enough air, even at higher boost pressures.

On a Diesel you can add 150-175HP with a tune on some trucks.  A stock 6.0 like mine with a good tune can lay down about 425HP at the rear wheel with the right tune.  Stock power is 325, at the flywheel.  With a mild set of injectors, better fuel system, and a bigger turbo to keep the pistons from melting mine cranks out over 500, or about 660 at the flywheel.  Torque is close to 1,000 lbs/ft.  I ran a traction limited (even in 4WD) 13 flat @ 102 in the 1/4 at Cecil at a race weight of about 7,800lbs. 

Its all because of how different the two fuels are.  A Diesel can't be run too rich, it just keeps making more power until it literally melts down.  The turbos don't make power; they keep the EGT safe so you don't melt something.  In a Diesel rich equals hot, the exact opposite of a gas engine.  It also equals power, again, the exact opposite of gas.  Part of this is that gas either burns or doesn't.  Diesel burns in stages, so even that fuel causing the smoke contributed to power production; just not fully.  This is why those sled pulling trucks spew black smoke the whole length of the run. 

The technology is actually pretty cool.  There was a guy from downstate DE, John Carey, that ran a Diesel rail called Greased Lightning.  It was competitive with gas rails of the day (1980s I believe).  He had experience building and racing gas rails, but also knew Diesels really well and built it to prove a point, which it did.  All these years later the fastest Diesel rail is less than a second quicker than he was running (7.21 @187 vs. 6.31 @226).  There some picks and info about it at the bottom:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/the-world-s-5-fastest-diesels-cummins-edition/

He was a friend of my grandfather's and I saw that rail in his shop when I was a kid.  Guy knew Diesels like no one else around here. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.