FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2020 4:12 PM  #1

Electronic C-4....

Shifter, that is.

Back when I put the AOD in the Heap I was advised to use a late model Mustang cable shifter or an aftermarket piece such as a Lokar. Even though our car is very modified, I like keeping the look of the original as much as possible or practical so neither option really appealed to me so I retimed the stock shifter to work with the AOD.

Well now I'm moving to a 4R70W so more shifter mods are required. The trans I'm using came from an Explorer and apparently had a cable shifter. The selector arm is up and has a very convenient ball fitting for the linkage. Tweaking the shifter timing was fairly simple, just requiring adding a bit to the arm and moving the shift rod hole down about an inch.  That extra piece on the back side of the arm was required for AOD timing.

how to remove duplicates in word

While I was at it I also added lockout steps for second and first gear.

Then things started getting tricky. The 4R70W has to have a switch to tell the PCM to block or allow overdrive and that momentary switch is normally built into the shifter. It could be mounted anywhere but I decided to try to put it in the shifter.
I found out real quick that there isn't a lot of room inside that shifter stalk for wires. So I needed to find some really small wires. This circuit doesn't have to carry a lot of current, just provide a 12v signal. So I stripped a pair of wires from a piece of two-pair phone cord...just slightly heavier than frog hair.
Then I made the necessary modifications to get the wires in there so they wouldn't be pinched or cut by the shift lock mechanism.
First I cut a small notch at the upper end of the lock dog where it meets the spring. This allows the wires to exit the stalk between the spring and the top of the lock dog.

I discovered that the wires could pass through the plastic parts at the top of the stalk without a problem but it got a bit tight putting the T handle on.
So I used a carbide burr to cut shallow troughs into the right side and stalk side of the "T".

keyboard symbols letters

For the switch I found a very small momentary switch that fits inside a monified "dead" button on the right side of the "T" and super glued an aluminum extention onto the button.

All assembled it looks completely stock except for the tiny button on the right side of the "T" and the P R N D 2 1 dial I installed from a 67 shifter.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/17/2020 4:35 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/17/2020 4:23 PM  #2

Re: Electronic C-4....

Looking at the pictures I still have no idea what you're talking about. Keep up the good work!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

11/17/2020 4:24 PM  #3

I bow to the master....
great work!

Last edited by josh-kebob (11/17/2020 4:25 PM)

11/17/2020 4:26 PM  #4

RV6 wrote:

Looking at the pictures I still have no idea what you're talking about. Keep up the good work!

Well Gary, non-auto folks need not bother.

Thank you very much, Josh.  It was really a fun and challenging project.

Bob

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/17/2020 4:28 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/17/2020 5:04 PM  #5

That's awesome!

11/17/2020 5:05 PM  #6

Great job Bob! Way better than anything I was able to come up with.
Is the black "button" removable? The chrome one I was trying to use was cast into the handle. Are you gunna use a light to indicate OD off?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/17/2020 6:04 PM  #7

50vert wrote:

Great job Bob! Way better than anything I was able to come up with.
Is the black "button" removable? The chrome one I was trying to use was cast into the handle. Are you gunna use a light to indicate OD off?

Yes and yes, Barry.  The black dummy button on the right side of the "T" is removable via a set screw on the bottom of the right leg of the T.  I wasn't aware that there was ever a T handle with the right side "dummy" button fixed or in chrome.   I have already installed an LED  (blue) for indication of OD OFF and the TCSM is installed behind the cluster.

11/17/2020 6:06 PM  #8

Raymond_B wrote:

That's awesome!

Thanks you Raymond.   I don't know about "awesome" but it seems to work and is reasonably "clean" which is one on the things I strive for.

BB

11/17/2020 6:21 PM  #9

In fear of sounding like a "California guy"............nice knob!!

No kidd'in Bullet Bob......another excellent job .
Still waiting on that video/sound track on the fresh engine build.........
jus say'in
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/17/2020 6:23 PM  #10

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/17/2020 8:59 PM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

That's awesome!

Thanks you Raymond.   I don't know about "awesome" but it seems to work and is reasonably "clean" which is one on the things I strive for.

BB

Absolutely, I love hiding modern tech in old cars.

11/17/2020 9:23 PM  #12

Nicely done!

11/17/2020 10:09 PM  #13

Dang, outstanding work Bullet Bob.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/17/2020 11:50 PM  #14

Very nice, that is how I  would have done it. If I could find a buyer for my newly rebuilt C4 i would go the ADO route too. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/18/2020 4:54 AM  #15

That's really cool, great idea and skill.

11/18/2020 6:34 AM  #16

I love it!  Keep the stock look with modern convenience!

11/18/2020 8:27 AM  #17

Cab4word67 wrote:

Very nice, that is how I  would have done it. If I could find a buyer for my newly rebuilt C4 i would go the ADO route too. 

Thank you, guys, for all the kind words. 

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/18/2020 9:10 AM)

11/18/2020 7:08 PM  #18

Great work Bob!!

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/18/2020 11:00 PM  #19

Great hot rodding Bullet Bob!

11/20/2020 10:27 PM  #20

Man Bob,  you do some amazing things!  Wow that’s incredible.  Nice job!

11/21/2020 10:10 AM  #21

I like that, Bullet.  Now I know how to modify the one in my truck! 

This has to be one of the biggest benefits of this forum.  Between tips like that and garage points, we can make anything run better than new.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.