FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2020 9:44 PM  #1

The more I cut the more I find.

This 66 Vert is becoming a challenge. Today I got most of the old floor pan cut out. Little bit of the frame rails left with some pieces of the firewall to follow. That is where things get ugly.
Short story long. It looks like the whole firewall is crapped out. Left front frame rail is junk. I knew this but was ignoring it and hoping it would go away. Right front frame rail isn't much better.
So it is looking like once I get the rear body of the car set on the framing jig and rear floor pan I have to cut the front of the car off and replace firewall and both of the shock tower and frame assemblies.
Philosophers Heraclitus, Plato and Plutarch all pondered that if you were to replace all of the planking and parts of a ship, could this be considered the same ship as before?  This is called the Ship of Thesus.

This car is approaching this theory.

bonfils blood center

12/30/2020 10:04 PM  #2

Re: The more I cut the more I find.

Ed, are the front aprons in good enough shape to keep the VIN intact? I would call that good enough to keep it as the same car. I applaud you for taking this on, I don't think I would have even tried it. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

12/30/2020 10:08 PM  #3

No I am going to cut the VIN numbers off and weld them onto the new aprons. I was looking at cutting off the bad metal and scabbing on pieces from new metal. Too many variances in folds and bends to line up. I bought the complete left and right side aprons from CJ. They dropped the price down for end of year. 

12/30/2020 10:10 PM  #4

Cool, keep the pictures coming. It always interesting to see the progress. 

12/31/2020 3:25 AM  #5

I thought I took on a big project.  You have me beat in that department.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

12/31/2020 6:51 AM  #6

Out of curiosity Ed, where did you find that car?

Looks like and “F” or “T” built car.
Just like most of the ones up North around here.

I understand that convertibles did get a lot of abuse from top down and rain and drainage issues and running along the salty beaches too and soaking wet carpets.

Keep the pictures coming, I will definitely learn.

12/31/2020 8:03 AM  #7

Definitely a big project.  Its where most of these cars end up if not in the junkyard.  Anymore they are too valuable to scrap.  Its why more tin is now available than ever before.  Hey, look on the bright side: when its done it'll be way nicer than it ever was from the factory.

12/31/2020 9:30 AM  #8

I applaud you for taking on this project, I would have (and years ago did) throw in the towel.
Good luck.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/31/2020 9:31 AM  #9

NOS681 my wife wanted a 66 vert because that is the year she was born. Corky found this car in Alabama. He had some pictures from someone he worked with i think. He arranged the seller and I to contact each other. I got a few more pictures sent to me. So after some haggling we got the price down to $2500. I new the car was rough, but not this rough. The seller assured me it had never been up north in the salt roads. We drove to Alabama and brought the car home to Texas. Never ever will I buy a car sight unseen. For $2500 we pretty much got what we paid for. 
Now I could have just cut off the VIN numbers and put them onto a Dynacorn shell. That is the easy and expensive way out of the hole but I decided that I would take this project on and use my welding skills to rebuild a car. 
Mustang Steve donated a framing jig he made for one of his last projects, this jig is the only thing keeping me sane in this project. Without this, I don't know what is going to keep this hot mess square and true. 
I am still having fun and no regrets. My wife thinks I am crazy and should trash the whole thing. I have a title to the car and very legible VIN numbers. So at the end of the day the Dynacorn may be the final path. But I am not going to quit without a long hard fight. 
My goal is to have it somewhat presentable in May for the Bash party. We will see. Between a couple weeks off for Christmas and a two week Covid stint I am finally making progress. I just keep finding more things wrong with the car. But I am running out of car to find things. 

12/31/2020 9:33 AM  #10

This Youtube chanel is a Godsend. Joe Daddy is rebuilding the exact same car and going much further than I am. Very informative and saving some wasted steps just by watching. Mustang wheel houses and rocker panels installed. Dynacorn Brooklyn Pony part 5 - YouTube

12/31/2020 10:28 AM  #11

Glad you found that channel Ed. I've watched a few of his videos and they look like he does a good job. I was gonna send you a link to a compareable vert rebuild on 69stang.com, but nearly all the important pics were gone as a victim of photobucket. As long as you've got the fixture and body panels to check gaps, you'll get it closer than the guys who put my 69 together. Hang in there brother.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/31/2020 11:07 AM  #12

I'd pull the plug..period!

Like 'Slick-Willy' Bill Clinton often sez ........."Honesty is the best policy". That's what I'm being.

Get with a certain MS board member that lives in the desert and see about a RUST FREE 66(desert...rust-free..key words!) and buy it/ship it/be $$ ahead/ and time ahead.
Part out what 'cha got  and start with a solid base and move on.
After seeing those pictures............WOW!
(Not only the cowl butt the firewall/toe board too)
Not being ugly (which comes real natural for me! butt,  looks like a DEEP money hole.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/31/2020 11:26 AM  #13

I hear you Mike. But I am a stubborn fool. 

12/31/2020 11:49 AM  #14

Mochaman wrote:

I hear you Mike. But I am a stubborn fool. 

A stubborn fool is much better than a plain fool. Keep up the good work and Happy New Year.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

12/31/2020 4:23 PM  #15

Whatever you DON'T cut the vin number out. You could end up in jail. REPLACE the metal around it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

12/31/2020 5:47 PM  #16

Worst case Ed, slap that puppy on a 4x4 truck frame.
Bet ya could resell it in Alabamer to some redneck.😁

12/31/2020 6:01 PM  #17

Wow - I admire your tenacity in taking on this project, butt - IMHO - if it was a horse, I'd shoot it. I can remember how much tin I had to replace on my 68, and that was work that was done by a buddy who was a welder, and it wasn't near that much tin as yours. Best of luck.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/31/2020 7:16 PM  #18

Have you considered just building a custom frame from scratch?  Sure would make for a cool custom ride.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/31/2020 10:00 PM  #19

MS wrote:

Have you considered just building a custom frame from scratch?  Sure would make for a cool custom ride.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was think'in the same thing
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/31/2020 11:29 PM  #20

In 1695 Thomas Ravebscroft's wrote a comic play Canterbury Guest which a famous saying pulled from. Well than, O'er shooes, o'er boots. And In for a Penny, in for a Pound.
This saying grew to mean that someone intention to complete a project once it was undertaken, however much time, effort and apparently money it takes.
So these are the before and after pictures of what happens when someone with impulsive manners and a plasma cutting torch gets to work.

Last edited by Mochaman (12/31/2020 11:33 PM)

12/31/2020 11:33 PM  #21

Light at the end of the tunnel is either the actual end of the tunnel or the train about to hit me.
This is the Framing Jig with the floor pan installed. It should be read to start fitting into what pieces are left of the car.

12/31/2020 11:34 PM  #22

Oh yeah, Happy New Year.

1/01/2021 8:00 AM  #23

All I can say is WOW!

1/01/2021 8:37 AM  #24

Looks like you are going big over broke!!! Go get’em Ed.

1/01/2021 9:50 AM  #25

Wow, that is a labor of love.
Looking forward to see it.
Ya make that look easy.

Hindsight is 2020😁
Happy New Year!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.