FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2021 9:38 PM  #1

Moved my four post lift into new shop today

Some friends from the neighborhood came over today and we disassembled and relocated my lift to the new shop.   We got it all back together, leveled and double checked everything.  When moving it, I just took the pump and reservoir off the upright and laid them on the runway to move them. That way we did not have to undo any hydraulic connections.  Once reassembled😫, pushing the button on the motor just results in immediately tripping a 20 amp breaker. What the heck could have gone wrong?   It almost seems like the motor/pump is hydraulic locked, but I see no reason for that to have happened.  There is no reset button.  Atlas brand, four post lift, 8,000# capacity. 

eff you

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/18/2021 11:04 PM  #2

Re: Moved my four post lift into new shop today

That pump may have thought you sold it!!! You better talk nice to it in the morning and it might go to working again!!!!

Glad you are getting moved in. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/19/2021 6:12 AM  #3

That’s going to be a nice shop.

1/19/2021 7:19 AM  #4

Wiring

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

1/19/2021 7:57 AM  #5

that is strange that there isn't a reset button on the motor. could it be under the cover where the wiring hooks up on the pig tail?

1/19/2021 8:03 AM  #6

John Ha wrote:

Wiring

^^^this
I'd double check that electrical circuit for an open ground, etc...

1/19/2021 8:46 AM  #7

Have you tried another circuit? It's rare, but there can be breakers that trip as soon as a load approaches its rating. Most all circuit breakers are designed to allow an overload for a few seconds because motor start-up can draw twice as much amperage as running. 

1/19/2021 9:18 AM  #8

Did it trip a regular old 20 amp breaker?
Or a 20 amp GFCI breaker?
Or a 20 amp AFCI breaker?
Or a 20 amp AFCI / GFCI combo breaker?

1/19/2021 12:12 PM  #9

Is pump hard wired or on a cord? Breaker is a ground fault breaker ? If so on a standard breaker small current imbalance would not trip breaker. I would unhook every thing and check the motor leads to ground with a good one meter ,

If its worth doing do it right !

1/19/2021 1:46 PM  #10

Tried it on three different circuits.  Same result.
No wires or hydraulic connections were undone.  All I did was unbolt the motor/pump/reservoir from the upright and placed it on the runway. 

I removed the cover on the pump’e electrical box.  Nothing there except the button that actuated the pump.  No reset button anywhere.
I let it sit overnight.  Same results this morning.

1/19/2021 2:04 PM  #11

Jr. & I moved his 4 post lift twice.  Both times, we removed the hydraulic hose where it attaches on the runway. (we have a cap that threads on the hose end for transport.  We kept the pump/reservoir vertical during both moves, and had no issues.)  If you have a bucket or container of hydraulic oil, you could remove the hose at the lift end, and submerge it in the hydraulic oil and test the pump.  If it pumps when detached from the cylinder, you may have isolated the problem.

PS:  I'm envious of your neighbors.  Got any homes for sale in your subdivision? LOL

Last edited by TimC (1/19/2021 2:08 PM)

1/19/2021 3:21 PM  #12

Are the cables routed correctly?

1/19/2021 6:58 PM  #13

Steve is there a way to see if the motor will spin free by hand? Is it possible something was in the reservoir could of got jiggled around when moving and jammed the pump. Can you disconnect the motor from the pump and just plug in the motor. Have you tried to plug in some other motor, drill press or something, to see if it trips the breaker. It's all new wiring, someone could have made a mistake. Just a couple thoughts.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/19/2021 7:52 PM  #14

Update

As I was leaving the shop this evening, I hit the button on the lift and it started working!!!

Nothing was changed...

Maybe oil flowed down freeing things up???
But it works.  Now I can do final cable adjustment and start moving in the tool boxes.  Almost there!

And yes, plenty of lots are available to buy/build.  Houses come up for sale but typically sell the minute they hit the market.  One down the street has not sold so quickly, though.  $1,400,000 is a little overbuilt for the neighborhood, so it is waiting for you, Bob.  Mine in nowhere near that range. 
At one time, there were four guys on my street with lifts in their garage.  Now one has sold and moved out.

1/19/2021 10:00 PM  #15

Was the pump assembly laid on its side?

Glad to hear it’s working again.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/19/2021 10:01 PM)

1/19/2021 11:39 PM  #16

Steve,

Glad it started working.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

1/20/2021 6:43 AM  #17

Wish everything would fix itself!!! Glad to hear it's working.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/20/2021 11:00 AM  #18

Hopefully the self repairing lift won't self destruct!

I'm still curious what kind of breakers you have.

1/20/2021 8:42 PM  #19

It was laid on its side during the move.  Right now it is plugged into a 20a with gfi. Once I round up the parts to wire it in, I have a dedicated 20a box in the ceiling that is not gfi.  It will get hard wired inside a 1/2” weatherproof flex conduit down to the lift.  Why weatherproof?   Because I had a piece left over after installing the HVAC units.
Hopefully the dedicated circuit cures the gremlins.  I used to run it with no issues on a 25’ extension cord plugged into a 15a gfi outlet.

1/21/2021 5:31 PM  #20

those gremlins got loose again and then left the building.

1/21/2021 5:37 PM  #21

You couldn't put it on the casters and roll it over?  I haven't tried, but I "think" I might be able to get my 4-post to roll out the open garage door.

1/21/2021 8:34 PM  #22

Actually it cost him $49.50 to get that lift working again!!  

1/22/2021 6:11 AM  #23

What is distance from breaker panel to the transformer?

Any issues with HVAC running?
If no issues with HVAC, probably ok.

GFCI’s can be a pain.
At old house, garage door opener was tied into GFCI receptacle by previous owner.

1/22/2021 10:41 AM  #24

Nos681 wrote:

GFCI’s SUCK!
At old house, garage door opener was tied into GFCI receptacle by previous owner.

Fixed it for you El Tee.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/22/2021 12:12 PM  #25

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

GFCI’s SUCK!

Fixed it for you El Tee.

GFCi's don't suck.....they protect us when we ain't smart enough to protect ourselves!! Like the night I was laid down in the drive way washing the under side of the van. It was too dark to see, so the water hose was in one hand and the drop light was in the other. I did try to stay in a dry spot. 

Those GFCI's do have line and load connections on the back. If  you want everything downstream of the GFCI to not be protected, all connections go on the line side. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.