FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2021 4:35 PM  #1

MS question regarding Cobra MII disk brake brackets/fit?

It was brought to my attention via Facebook that my brackets may not fit.  So I just checked them and my fit is far better than the person who show me pictures of their brackets.  I have the MII drop spindles.   When I check the fit the center hole is not centered.  But I’m not sure that’s an issue.  I do not have a rotor to check the overall fit.  Is that something I should be concerned about?

Which leads me to my next fitment issue.  One of the bolt holes does not line up at all.   I will have to transfer this hole and drill it myself.   Not a big deal unless the bracket being off center is an issue. 

I also do not have the D shaped washer nor do I have the longer 1/2 bolt with the lock washer. 

1/19/2021 9:58 PM  #2

Re: MS question regarding Cobra MII disk brake brackets/fit?

Does the MII spindle have a different bolt pattern compared to factory MII?

1/20/2021 8:39 AM  #3

We have the R&C front end (with dropped spindles) on our 66.  We re-drilled that one hole in the MS Cobra bracket.  No other issues.

1/20/2021 12:00 PM  #4

Nos681 wrote:

Does the MII spindle have a different bolt pattern compared to factory MII?

I’m not sure if there’s a difference between the drop spindles and regular spindles or not.  I also do not think the standard ride height spindles are any different the original ones because my kit original had the normal ride height spindles and they used all stock parts.  So really don’t know.  Only going by the MS bracket being listed for drop spindles.

1/20/2021 12:02 PM  #5

TimC wrote:

We have the R&C front end (with dropped spindles) on our 66.  We re-drilled that one hole in the MS Cobra bracket.  No other issues.

That’s good to know and I figured it would be ok.  I just need to buy a couple bolts.  My kit appears to missing a couple pieces.  Nothing I can’t at Ace Hardware.

1/20/2021 5:51 PM  #6

If I remember correctly, it was explained to me that the brackets fit the OEM Ford MII spindles, and that there are several manufacturers of aftermarket MII spindles.  The R&C spindles are just slightly different than the OEM items.  Nothing a drill press can't solve. 

1/20/2021 8:31 PM  #7

I designed the brackets to fit OEM MII spindles.  At the time of design, I also verified fitment on the Heidt’s 2” drop spindles available at the time. 

Subsequently, R&C came out with a new spindle and, for some reason, decided to relocate the bolt holes where only their brakes would bolt up.  And they only offered smaller 11” brakes.

I used to ship the brackets with the weld-on tab not welded if the customer let me know they had R&C spindles. 

So...  bottom line...  the round hole should be centered on the axle.  You may need to remove and reweld the tab and drill a new hole if needed.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but there is no way I could have foreseen them changing from the OEM bolt locations.   If this part was a bigger seller, I might consider a redesign to offer a specific kit for those spindles.

It is not that the BRACKETS don’t fit, the problem is the SPINDLES are wrong.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/23/2021 10:25 AM  #8

MS wrote:

I designed the brackets to fit OEM MII spindles. At the time of design, I also verified fitment on the Heidt’s 2” drop spindles available at the time.

Subsequently, R&C came out with a new spindle and, for some reason, decided to relocate the bolt holes where only their brakes would bolt up. And they only offered smaller 11” brakes.

I used to ship the brackets with the weld-on tab not welded if the customer let me know they had R&C spindles.

So... bottom line... the round hole should be centered on the axle. You may need to remove and reweld the tab and drill a new hole if needed.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but there is no way I could have foreseen them changing from the OEM bolt locations. If this part was a bigger seller, I might consider a redesign to offer a specific kit for those spindles.

It is not that the BRACKETS don’t fit, the problem is the SPINDLES are wrong.

It would be helpful if that was better described in your description on the brackets.   Had I known I could have gotten different spindle and or brackets, if they are even available.  Now I'm stuck modifying something hat will require a lot of work and sadly I painted them so I can't return them.

So i disagree that the problem is the wrong spindles, the problem is in the description of the part itself.

1/23/2021 7:12 PM  #9

The description was written long before e spindles came on the market, or at least came to our attention.  Maybe they should also advertise that their spindles do not fit ANY stock MII brakes.

I will mention to Michael it might be a good idea to add that note.  Do you have the part numbers on the spindles?

1/23/2021 7:58 PM  #10

If I had the spindles in my possession, I would happily mod the brackets for you.  That way I could see exactly what has to happen. 

From previous customers comments, all that had to be done was relocate the welded tab. We shipped several sets with the tab unwelded, but have never received further feedback as to fitment.  So, we just have to assume it worked. 

Want to send your parts?

1/24/2021 11:05 AM  #11

That's one heck of an offer.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/24/2021 11:47 AM  #12

MS wrote:

If I had the spindles in my possession, I would happily mod the brackets for you.  That way I could see exactly what has to happen. 

From previous customers comments, all that had to be done was relocate the welded tab. We shipped several sets with the tab unwelded, but have never received further feedback as to fitment.  So, we just have to assume it worked. 

Want to send your parts?

I can do that as I’m months away from needing them.  I’ll reach out later in a PM.  At a National bmx race with my son who’s racing.   I no longer race.  That ground hurts when you crash.  Lol

On a side note my bracket appears to fit better than the person who posted their pics of the same setup on Facebook.  His tab wouldn’t even bolt down with out bracket not sitting flat on the spindle surface.

1/24/2021 10:47 PM  #13

We have a pair of original MII spindles that we use as a jig to weld that tab on the brackets.  All bolts are attached and the bracket is welded while everything is bolted to the spindles. That way, we are 100% certain the brackets fit as advertised.  I personally verified the fitment is same on a Heidt’s 2” drop spindle. 

That was before I ever heard of variations in R&C spindles.

I will be happy to make them fit.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.