FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2021 11:30 PM  #1

having the Shelby front air scoop

I am interested in what all the pluses/negatives are to having the Shelby lower valance scoop. I have AC and a aluminum 2 core 1" tube stock size radiator in my 65 with a 289, C4. Would I benefit much from having this or is it more for race?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

1/20/2021 10:19 AM  #2

Re: having the Shelby front air scoop

From what I've read and seen, they allow more direct air to the radiator. This is on my brothers 65 with a Maier 70's apron.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/20/2021 10:59 AM  #3

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of the Shelby valance.  It makes a huge difference in cooling air going to the radiator and therefore helping to cool the engine.........BUTT......It will let more than air in !
I have never had any problems with  "stuff" flying up off the road (or in the air) and damaging things.
But then......I don't follow too closely when running 60 mph on a loose gravel road either!
I like mine
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/20/2021 1:15 PM  #4

I have a Shelby scoop on the front with a bumper.  I love it.  It uncovers the whole lower third of the radiator.  With a copper, 4 row, stock dimension radiator, I do not need a fan shroud.  I use a cut down '70 flex fan.  It handles my 350 HP 351W in LA freeways up to 105 deg F.  I need no other coolant capabilities.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/20/2021 3:36 PM  #5

I like all versions of the Shelby valance, and really wanted one for my 68 but really couldn’t afford to do the complete Shelby nose conversion. Ok didn’t like the way the aftermarket valances fit. So I took my original factory Ford plain valance and made my version of the 68 Shelby valance.

It lets all kinds of air in,

1/20/2021 4:57 PM  #6

Huh!!!!..............that looks like some kinda  hot rod!!

100% Sal approved (if that's important?!)
Nice
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/20/2021 7:39 PM  #7

Nice mod kardad. Looks similar to the 69, which is level with the bottom of the radiator.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/21/2021 4:16 PM  #8

The Shelby lower valance looks cool as hell.  Looking at all the rock chips in my lower valance (for those of us that routinely road test our cars in the real world), I would be concerned that those chips would all be in my radiator if I installed one, though.  My car cools just fine, so I am leaving it as-is. 

my 2016 GT350 had a much smaller air opening that the 66 has...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/21/2021 5:18 PM  #9

I installed the Shelby valence with a bumper just because I like the look. Any added cooling benefit is an unintended bonus!

1/22/2021 12:57 AM  #10

Thanks everyone. That has given me more ideas

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

1/22/2021 11:45 AM  #11

HEY 
Chris ,  This is what I did to my front valance ..to help with air flow after adding the hydro boost  and power steering pump cooler ..
best haiku

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

3/28/2021 9:38 PM  #12

lower case to upper case online

I LOVE MY SHELBY VALENCE

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/29/2021 7:03 AM  #13

I had one on my old 65 fastback I built.  I drove that car all time and on the highway just as much as the street.   Never had an issue but I agree the odds are more in favor of a mishap with the radiator and the Shelby apron.  My current build is getting one.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.