FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2021 7:44 AM  #1

Sparky

need inputs / comments  on new distrib,,,

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40522/10002/-1 my uni light on stock dis,   works, very old sys,   just looking for a possible up grade,  I built my engine for max torque at low rpm.  302 w/289 cam,  block bored out 40 over  Stock 68,  4 barrel ford, high compression cast heads,  duel range COMP CAM,  rpm max 5.5K, shorty headers, flipper exhaust opens to straight pipes at 2.5k rpm.    
   https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40522/10002/-1 

1/22/2021 4:29 PM  #2

Re: Sparky

When you jiggle your shaft does it kinda feel loose-in-the-hole?
With the timing lite on the balancer (engine running) does the timing seem to fluxuate in & out(bounce) when held at a steady RPM?
Do you have any kind of MSD box running thru your distributor?
Do you still run points?
Define duel range camshaft!?! (what are the specs on cam?)
Need mo-info!!
ABDFI...could apply
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/22/2021 4:50 PM  #3

a friend of mine who died a few years ago, myself and another friend gave him the nick name "sparky", sparky was playing with a magneto, was not working but sparky didn't know that. so as sparky is rotating in his hand  I go BUZZ. sparky threw it up in the air thinking he'd been "sparkyed"

1/22/2021 6:40 PM  #4

6sally6 wrote:

When you jiggle your shaft does it kinda feel loose-in-the-hole?  no,,,, Hummmm   she might know ?
With the timing lite on the balancer (engine running) does the timing seem to fluxuate in & out(bounce) when held at a steady RPM? no BUTT never used lite thingy,, ??  set by ear and max ping point   
Do you have any kind of MSD box running thru your distributor?  no
Do you still run points?  uni light   reread post ??
Define duel range camshaft!?! (what are the specs on cam?)  different exhaust lopes than intake lobe sizes.  see Comp Cam site for data specs....  made for torque 

serously car run good , carb was rejetted and still runs great,,,    

Need mo-info!!
ABDFI...could apply
6sal6

Last edited by Don (1/22/2021 6:42 PM)

1/22/2021 6:55 PM  #5

I never wanna kick sand outta sombody elses box butt........you really orta invest 25 bux in a cheap timing light. Properly hooked up AND a timing tape gives you SOOO much info. Consistent info.
Timing light and a vacuum gauge are 'must haves' in a tune-it-yourself tool box.
Jus say'in

If it "runs good" well.....can't improve much on that. (leave it alone)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/22/2021 7:24 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

I never wanna kick sand outta sombody elses box butt........you really orta invest 25 bux in a cheap timing light. Properly hooked up AND a timing tape gives you SOOO much info. Consistent info.
Timing light and a vacuum gauge are 'must haves' in a tune-it-yourself tool box.
Jus say'in

If it "runs good" well.....can't improve much on that. (leave it alone)
6s6

Remember, this is Don, and you are talking $25

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/23/2021 5:54 AM  #7

My thoughts are that if what you have now works I wouldn't change it.  Distributors are another one of those things that seem to be getting cheaper and of lower quality as time goes on.

I set my timing by ear too.  Years later I changed the balancer, verified TDC was correct, and timed the engine with a timing light.  It was probably 60 degrees off.  It was like I'd found another 30HP and 30lbs/ft.

1/23/2021 11:57 AM  #8

Upgrade - verb:to replace something (such as software or an electronic device) with a more useful version or alternative.

Seems to me that unless it makes lotso horsepower more or your current sparkalizer is trashed you be throwing money away.

With that said a Pertronix Billet sparkalizer would freshen up the under hood a little.

Last edited by RV6 (1/23/2021 11:58 AM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/23/2021 2:59 PM  #9

Duraspark distributor is reliable and replacement parts are available most everywhere....even a junkyard.

1/23/2021 9:24 PM  #10

ha     fine tune up kit  for my distributor 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.