FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2021 9:39 PM  #1

Finished up my winter projects

Added 2014 Mustang GT brakes on front 13.2" along with 13" 2019 Mustang GT on the Rear.  Use MS brackets.
Also added a Quick performance 3.25 True Trac with 31 spline.  My son helped my with the heavy work and welding.  Added drain fill and plug on housing too. 

keycap digit one

1/29/2021 10:27 PM  #2

Re: Finished up my winter projects

Looks very nice!  You need to let someone like me come and hang some stuff on your walls! LOL
Seems Santa found Madison!
That pic of your son welding in the same room/space as those propane tanks frightens me.....

1/30/2021 6:05 AM  #3

Looks good!

1/30/2021 8:02 AM  #4

All looks good, Best of you got to spent time with your son. I could never get my daughters interested into any garage work. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/30/2021 10:39 AM  #5

TimC wrote:

That pic of your son welding in the same room/space as those propane tanks frightens me.....

Unless the propane/mapp/acetylene tanks are leaking........everything should be alright. Happens every day
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/30/2021 11:07 AM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

TimC wrote:

Unless the propane/mapp/acetylene tanks are leaking........everything should be alright. Happens every day
6sally6

Even then, propane and other hazardous gas leaks aren't like they make it out to be in the movies.  It doesn't work that you crack open a gas valve, throw a handful of silverware in the microwave with a delay timer to start in 2 minutes, and the whole house blows up. 

Gases have to achieve a combustible concentration to combust.  If the level of gas is too low, or too high (not enough oxygen) no spark or flame will ignite it.  The reason they put hydrogen sulfide in the propane is that the human nose can detect it at 0.00005-0.3 parts per million in the air.  You'll smell a gas leak hours to days before it would be at combustible concentration.  The danger would be an empty house that had a leak for two days and then something sparked. 

Also, no one has ever walked away from an explosion behind them without flinching in real life either

1/30/2021 12:47 PM  #7

That's a heck of a nice looking Mustang you've got Steve. Isn't it nice to have a son who can do quality welding for the old man?

Notwithstanding TKO's accurate info, don't welding shops weld all day long with acetylene tanks nearby? I know the one I "worked" at did. What I did there wasn't really work

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/30/2021 12:57 PM  #8

Thanks Guys.  My son has a 68 Mustang he bought 3 years ago when he was 18.  He had to weld all new sheet metal in it.  So he's a pretty good welder now...LOL  Those propane tanks were empty.  The one in the grill is full but shielded by the grille.  

Steve69

1/30/2021 1:02 PM  #9

TimC wrote:

Looks very nice!  You need to let someone like me come and hang some stuff on your walls! LOL
Seems Santa found Madison!

Yeah I need more space. Where my son is welding is where the daily cars are parked.  The biggest expense of the brakes was the brackets.  I bought everything else used on Ebay except for the front Rotors.  The 3rd member was $980 too.  Figured if I was pulling the axles might as well do something with that.  

Last edited by Steve69 (1/30/2021 1:03 PM)

1/30/2021 7:15 PM  #10

Let us know how the caliper paint holds up.  I have been thinking about doing that on my 56 F100.
What did you use?

I have no concerns about steel propane tanks and MIG welding.  My concern is those plastic gas cans I have everywhere.

Nice project!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/30/2021 7:44 PM  #11

MY >>>  MY  those pictures look good ..

very nice work        I always liked " 69 - 70 "  especially one's with a 351 cleveland    

Last edited by Vkt-66 (1/30/2021 7:46 PM)

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

1/30/2021 7:59 PM  #12

Nice work!

Last edited by Chaplin (1/31/2021 8:30 AM)

1/31/2021 12:18 AM  #13

Looks great

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/31/2021 8:22 AM  #14

MS wrote:

Let us know how the caliper paint holds up. I have been thinking about doing that on my 56 F100.
What did you use?

I have no concerns about steel propane tanks and MIG welding. My concern is those plastic gas cans I have everywhere.

Nice project!

I've used VHT Caliper paint for quite some time now and it holds up very well.  Like any paint the secret is in the prep work I think.  Did you use the same paint Steve69?

1/31/2021 7:39 PM  #15

MS wrote:

Let us know how the caliper paint holds up. I have been thinking about doing that on my 56 F100.
What did you use?

I have no concerns about steel propane tanks and MIG welding. My concern is those plastic gas cans I have everywhere.

Nice project!

I bought the red paint down at ACE hardware.  Im to curious how it holds up.. I didn't change out my Master cylinder.  I have a ford ranger and I had a proportioning valve installed also previously.  The brakes all bled fine. Had my son turn the rear wheel on jack stands and I hit the brakes and it stopped and held.  We'll see how it works in the spring.  Another 8" of snow last night with 2 foot drifts in the driveway. So winter is kicking my -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have-! ...LOL  

Last edited by Steve69 (1/31/2021 7:40 PM)

2/01/2021 6:20 AM  #16

Looks like I'm not the only one that has to work on the garage floor.  Nice job on the setup and install. 

2/01/2021 8:06 AM  #17

That looks great!
I have the same front project ahead of me.

2/03/2021 1:00 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

What did you use?

Nice project!

I've used VHT Caliper paint for quite some time now and it holds up very well.  Like any paint the secret is in the prep work I think.  Did you use the same paint Steve69?

It was paint for ACE hardware store.  

2/05/2021 5:41 AM  #19

I agree with everyone else - very nice work!

Have a question about the fill plug on the differential.  It looks like it's kind of high.  Most of the ones I've seen on vehicles have been at about the midpoint of the axle shafts and you fill until lube comes out of the hole.  

It looks like your fill hole is more on the top of the pumpkin.  Maybe I'm way off base but it looks like you will be overfilling that unit with lube. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/06/2021 12:03 PM  #20

Thanks John,

With the drivers side tire pulled I pulled the original upper plug from 3rd member out. I then added the oll from the top filler I weled in. When it starts leaking out the 3rd member plug its full. Then put the plug back in the 3rd member. 

Steve69 

John Ha wrote:

I agree with everyone else - very nice work!

Have a question about the fill plug on the differential.  It looks like it's kind of high.  Most of the ones I've seen on vehicles have been at about the midpoint of the axle shafts and you fill until lube comes out of the hole.  

It looks like your fill hole is more on the top of the pumpkin.  Maybe I'm way off base but it looks like you will be overfilling that unit with lube. 

2/07/2021 8:27 AM  #21

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks John,  When it starts leaking out the 3rd member plug its full.   

Ah, thanks for the explanation - much appreciated!

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.