FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2021 12:33 PM  #1

1966 Mustang Coupe Resto-mod

1966 Mustang Coupe with Explorer 5.0, automatic, 8.8 rear with 4 wheel disc brakes.  About 5000 miles on the build.  Recently back from a 3000 mile trip where I shipped it to San Francisco and drove down the Pacific Coast Highway to LA, then Route 66 to Missouri and back here to Chattanooga, TN where it averaged nearly 20 mpg.  Originally a 6-cyl/3-sp it has been converted to a 5.0/4R70W 4-speed automatic from a 2000 Explorer (so GT40-P heads and Cobra style intake) in OBD2 form so it retains better diagnostics than an OBD1 Mustang setup and keeps the EDIS coilpacks instead of a distributor.  New Motorcraft thermostat, water pump, Melling oil pump, pickup, and Cloyes timing chain. New Motorcraft wires and plugs. New crank trigger, cam position sensor and IAC valve “while they were off”.  New Bosch O2 sensors.  HiPo K-code exhaust manifolds (repros) with Arvinode chambered exhaust from Waldron. ’69 BB aluminum radiator with dual 2-speed (Contour) electric fans.  Explorer auxiliary transmission cooler also.  New Continental belt, all Gates hoses, belt tensioner, and idler.  Granada disc brakes on front with new rotors and USA Timkin bearings.  Rebuilt calipers and new hoses.  Fox body brake booster conversion and dual section master cylinder.  New custom brake lines front and rear.  New (67L style-bigger output shaft) Borgeson power steering box with new MOOG tie rods/sleeves and a new drag link and idler.  New lower control arms/ball joints, new upper ball joints and MOOG upper A-arm pivots.  Shelby/Arning suspension drop performed. New springs and poly torsion rod bushings.  New poly sway bar bushings.  New shocks. New rear springs.  Aluminum driveshaft. Narrowed Explorer 8.8  31-spline differential with 3.73 gear and Trac Lok with new Ford clutches and brake pads.  KH 14x6 Magnum 500 style wheels with 215/70/14 tires plus 1 for a spare.  Floor mounted parking brake handle from late Mustang.   New 22 Gal (’69) fuel tank from Tanks Inc. with internal sump for Walbro fuel pump and an ISSPRO floatless sending unit.  New fuel lines to the front.  Trunk mounted battery with dedicated engine ground and disconnect.  New wiring inside with mini-fuses and much of the loads put on the Explorer underhood fuse box/relay center.  NOS Motorcraft ignition switch, new Delco headlight switch and dimmer switch.  Hella H4 Halogen conversion headlights with relays for max power (and takes load off the headlight switch).  New aftermarket tilt steering column.  Has later F150 variable speed wiper conversion.  Voltmeter instead of Ammeter in stock cluster.  Warning lights for brake, alternator, oil pressure, and service engine.  2007 Mustang front seats (non power-but working lumbar) and seat belts with shoulder belts.  Rear fold-down seat from 2000 mustang.  New carpet and door panels.  New rear window rubbers.  New window felts.  All 4 window mechanisms refreshed and all new rollers.  New firewall insulation.  Heater box completely rebuilt with new brass heater core.  Variable speed fan controller.  The body is kinda rough, but is roughly 97% rust free.  Paint is good from 30 feet at dusk.  Floor pans were replaced as well as both lower rear quarters and outer trunk pans and RH inner trunk pan.  The core support and right front apron are also new.  The right cowl has been repaired without removing the outer cowl but still leaks a little bit so it has a cowl cover.  Most of these sheetmetal  replacements were the Canadian parts if available, not Chinese ones.  The rest of the outer sheetmetal is OEM Ford except the front lower valence and stone guard.  Both front fenders have had their lower rear corners replaced.  New front bumper.  Customized MonteCarlo bar and Heim braces to clear the 5.0 intake and coilpacks.  Lots of other small touches like better courtesy lighting, High brake light, LED bulbs, trunk light, vintage radio with new amp and speakers, etc.  To really complete it in its current look; it needs a headliner, windshield, and door seals.  In short, an updated fun reliable car that turns heads but you don’t have to worry about every scratch or ding.  It starts well, stops well, goes well.  Comes with a bunch of leftover parts. Asking $15,000 as that is about what I have in it.  More photos available of course, but here are a few to get an idea from.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SsCKFGC79LqqjMVX9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v6ynohun2S5JjsL96
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SPJVVJPQefYuXSUv9

Last edited by markdtn (10/18/2021 5:11 AM)

6/03/2021 6:38 AM  #2

Re: 1966 Mustang Coupe Resto-mod

I thought I should explain a bit more to go with the ad.  I have had the car almost 20 years, but it has only been driving for about a year.  I originally bought it to fix for my wife but she didn't care.  Fixed the floors and did a 5.0 swap to the point it needed a couple days work to complete and then got a job in a new town in 2005.  Thought my 2 sons might be interested in cars, but they were not.  I did with them what they wanted to do until they left.  Car sat in the corner of the garage and I gathered parts.  Then I brought it out when they were gone and finished it expressly for a RT66 trip.  It was basically purpose built for a 3000 mile road trip in a classic car.  I wanted a very stock looking '66 Mustang like my classmates had in High School, but with a modern driveline for mileage and safety where I could improve it.  I wanted rock solid reliability (within reason), with parts readily available along the way in junkyards and parts stores.  I wanted as many OEM parts as possible.  I wanted to keep it Ford, but not cut it up for a rack and pinion front or Coyote swap.  I wanted to not have to worry about door dings and hotel parking lots and dirt/bumpy roads. So this car was built to be strong but not particularly stand out. I feel that by finishing a 3000 mile trip with no major mechanical issues that I achieved what I set out to do.  I have other cars and projects, but this one really does not fit my long term needs so it needs to go.  That is why I am selling it, not because there is anything wrong with it, not that I don't want to "finish" it (whatever that means), but I just can't keep them all.  I tried to spend money where it would make it reliable and better than original.  I tried to keep as much of the character of the car as I could but still make it safer and more comfortable.  I know the price sounds high, but it's hard to build anything decent cheap-and it's negotiable.  I have a spreadsheet of what I spent and where that I can share with potential buyers.   Anyway, I know the car does not appeal to everyone, but the right person is out there that will see the potential in it.  Thanks for looking.  By the way I have been a lurker on this site for a long time.  The advice and products are top notch.  I have the Fox brake booster upgrade and had the ram power steering to Granada spindle spacer early in the build (like 2004) before I went to the Borgeson box.  Thanks for looking.

7/26/2021 1:40 PM  #3

Dropping price to $14,500 today.  Thanks!

7/30/2021 1:02 PM  #4

Since I am seeing no offers either here or on FB Marketplace,  I have a question.  I have had a few inquiries but nobody has come to see it yet.  Either I am way high or it's just not an interesting car.  Any idea from you experts what a reasonable price would be for this car?  Or what I might do to it to make it sell? (OK that is 2 questions)  I have thought hard about a cheap paint job, but if I was buying I would want to see it just as it is with nothing hidden. I know you can't usually get your money out of a project, so I know I will realistically take some loss.  I am not hurting to sell it, but would like to while it is still fresh from RT66 and I can get my garage bay back.  I can see it going 1 of several ways.  1-enjoy just like it is, (or 1b-put a windshield and headliner in it and enjoy as-is) 2-blow it apart to do the paint and body and put it back together with a new interior, 3-buy a Dynacorn fastback or convertible body and have most of the parts to put it back plus an original title. It's  a running, driving, reliable '66 Mustang but it's ugly to some.  I was confident enough in it to send it 3000 miles away and drive it back with minimal tools.  I am interested in what you guys think a realistic value is.  Hit me, I can take it.  Thanks!

8/01/2021 1:18 PM  #5

That’s a tough thing to answer.  The only thing I can offer is if anyone was really interested they would at least make you an offer.  Look at other coupes that are priced the same and compare yours to them.

8/01/2021 6:33 PM  #6

I wouldn't drop the price anymore. Let it ride at $14.5k.

Consider posting on other sites too. People are spending money these days and a car like that should sell but, you need to broaden it's "for sale" status/exposure on more than FB and here.

8/02/2021 2:09 PM  #7

Thank you.  What sites might I consider?  Ebay?  Craigslist is dead around here, but maybe a nationwide search would find it? 

I've never tried to sell anything quite like this before so not positive the best outlet.  To me it is a niche car.  It's not full-blown restored so it doesn't go that way, but it's not a parts car either.  EFI is a blessing and a curse to the original guys.  (was buying gas in Amarillo and a guy rolled up and wanted to talk cars, we talked a bit but as soon as he found out it was EFI he got in his truck and left.  Whatever.  I say anything that gets these old cars out of the garage and on the road is a good thing.)  Then there are some that do like EFI, but don't like OBD2.  It's fast and with a cam swap could be more so, but to me there is more than enough power for the tires that fit it so why change the cam.  It sounds good to me with the chambered exhaust.  It's not "pretty" but it is solid reliable.  It looks old, but has modern upgrades.  Hopefully the right person will see it for what it is and want it.  Thanks again for the advice.

8/02/2021 4:38 PM  #8

Post it on vintage mustang forums.  If you're not a member,  join for free. Then post in the classified section. Not sure if you have to have a certain number of posts before you can post in the classified section. Should be easy to find out.

8/24/2021 11:36 AM  #9

Still have the car.  Did list on VMF, but nothing yet.  It will sell when it sells I guess.

8/24/2021 10:28 PM  #10

Check out Bring a Trailer, I bet you'll get your asking price easily.

9/13/2021 11:54 AM  #11

No interest as of late.  It needs to go.  I need my garage back to start another project.  I looked into Bring a Trailer a little and I don't think this is their kind of car.  Everything looks shiny and polished.  This one is more like 'ol reliable-a little rough around the edges, but always there for you.

9/14/2021 5:22 PM  #12

markdtn wrote:

.  I looked into Bring a Trailer a little and I don't think this is their kind of car.  Everything looks shiny and polished.  This one is more like 'ol reliable-a little rough around the edges, but always there for you.

Submit it anyway.   Let them tell you if it's worthy of them.   

9/14/2021 7:24 PM  #13

gjz30075 wrote:

markdtn wrote:

.  I looked into Bring a Trailer a little and I don't think this is their kind of car.  Everything looks shiny and polished.  This one is more like 'ol reliable-a little rough around the edges, but always there for you.

Submit it anyway.   Let them tell you if it's worthy of them.   

I agree.

I have a piece of property that I listed for sale by owner. Had a couple bites.
Last week, I had a realtor list it.....it sold in 24 hours....for twice as much as I had it originally listed for.

Point is, listing it broadcast it to a wider audience....an audience with cash!

List yours on bring a trailer... huge audience there.....can't hurt.

10/18/2021 5:12 AM  #14

Sold-Sold-Sold

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.